what gps should i get? Iphone or something else?

beatrixkiddo

I am brand new to geocaching and I currently dont have an iphone. Is it the best thing to use or is there a particular gps that is better? I need something that has turn by turn driving directions as well as accurate hiking directions. I also want something that I don't have to sell a kidney to afford. What do most of you use and why? Thanks for any help. I think that I have found a new addiction. My 10yr old loves it too!!!!

the iphone is a phone with gimmicks such as a GPS chip, and not a dedicated GPS receiver.

a dedicated GPS receiver is a dedicated GPS receiver, and not a phone.

Edited by dfx

Welcome to the Geocaching community! :ph34r:

The iPhone is not a GPS receiver. It has a GPS receiver built in, so people like to pretend it is a GPS receiver, but it's not. If you don't have an iPhone already, don't get one just to Geocache.

I need something that has turn by turn driving directions as well as accurate hiking directions.
There are GPS devices designed for use in a vehicle (providing turn by turn driving directions) and there are GPS devices designed for hiking, but you generally won't find both in the same unit. Some people use car GPS devices for hiking 9and Geocaching) anyways, but I advise against it since these are not as rugged and usually aren't waterproof.

I don't know of any GPS device that's better than others for Geocaching. We use a Garmin eTrex Vista and it get's the job done, but there are better devices out there.

I guess it just depends on how much money you have. This is one of those age old questions. Kinda like Ford or Chevy. Everyone has thier own reasons for using the device they use.

Once again it depends on your budget. I currently had an iPhone then started geocaching when the App became available. I am also looking to buy a more reliable device. The Garmin 60csx is very popular. Magellan also came out with a new device dedicated to geocaching it is the Explorist GC.

Do your research and find out what works best for you and your busget.

Ok it depends on the GPS and the mapset that you have. Some have roads and some do not. Some have an auto routing feature that can take you along roads till you are close to your destination and there would not be a need for 2 seperate units, it just all depends on what you can afford and what features you want.

So, the best thing to do would be to get a gps for the car and then a handheld also? That kinda sucks! I always hear people saying that they just use their handheld gps but then what do you use for driving directions first? or do you all have auto gps' also?

Car navigation units will give turn by turn eg. turn left in 200 yards... but the battery only lasts 2 to 3 hours.

They are not as rugged and will break if dropped or knocked against anything.

Some of the higher costing GPS will give driving directions, but it's only a 'Beep' as you get near the turn. If it's a T-junction it doesn't say 'turn left' you have to look at it (or the navigator/passenger has to)

Car units like to keep you on the road, and don't like going off the road, so caches can be difficult to find. (Not saying you can't find 'em, just that it's rather difficult!)

Car units need to be charged in the car, hand held GPS usually use AA batteries, if they go flat while your out just pop in spare ones!

Phones fit in with car navigation units regarding batteries, yes the battery may last for 72 hours -but if your using the phone to navigate to find a cache it's a serious use of the battery!

Horses for courses/right tool for the job.

Cheap end of any of the units will do the job, may be better to get one of each from the cheap end, rather than an expensive single unit that doesn't quite do the other job?

I personally had an Iphone and use that for the paperless aspect of this and for the first couple finds we used it. However, they are not durable and with all the places I'm crawling around to get to caches I don't want to risk the phone. So I got a Garmin 60csx to go with it basically.

For driving directions I simply look at the maps on my phone as I am not dependent on a machine telling me where to turn. I'm able to figure that out on my own the old fashioned way. Not to mention had I depended on that here not so long ago we would have driven into a river on a long since closed road. Which is something to keep in mind with those turn by turn GPS units. Rural roads are not always updated on their maps and you could be sent down a road that actually no longer exists.

I'm a big believer in the old fashioned way of car navigation. Anyhow, short story is I guess it depends on what you want. If you want to park and grab possibly a car unit would be best but if you're going to be hiking around for stuff a hand held unit is better.

Welcome ... I am pretty new at it also. We call ourselves "lollipop" caches" because we really S------ at it !!!! But we are learning and getting better at it.(:- And my grandkids love it . The trouple was not understanding how my new GPS worked . Vague direction for someone that would still be lost in the woods holding a compass !!(-{

I bought a GARMIN ETREX VENTURE HC on amazon, after reading reviews on Geocache site. I like it. And as for turn by turn...... After you download the cach you want. go to directions and print out. It will start at your door step. Good luck and happy caching !!! :ph34r:

Welcome ... I am pretty new at it also. We call ourselves "lollipop" caches" because we really S------ at it !!!! But we are learning and getting better at it.(:- And my grandkids love it . The trouple was not understanding how my new GPS worked . Vague direction for someone that would still be lost in the woods holding a compass !!(-{

I bought a GARMIN ETREX VENTURE HC on amazon, after reading reviews on Geocache site. I like it. And as for turn by turn...... After you download the cach you want. go to directions and print out. It will start at your door step. Good luck and happy caching !!! :ph34r:

I just have a handheld...I do have a car gps, but it is not able to take in coordinates. So what I do is to look up the caches on the map, and map out which ones I want to go for (when I'm doing local, or look at a route when traveling, etc), and just put those into my gps. I've recently just started numbering them, and typing the coordinates out with their name and which number they corrispond to, so when I get home I know which ones they are, and I put them into my gps by number. I have to do it one by one by hand...I don't have a cord...it's a pain, but it's fine.

Mine is a Garmin Etrex Legend...it's an older one, but I bought it off craigslist for $50. It can sometimes be off a little, and the arrow bounces a little, but I can find the caches with some looking usually. Works enough for me, for right now, until I can get a nicer one!

We started with the iphone because we both had them, and they are still part of our caching kit. We use them for paperless caching and road maps. We now have a Garmin 400t because we enjoy caching and are tech geeks and don't want to spend more money on an upgrade in a year. We still use the iphones and GPSr together. The iphones can get us close, but they can't consistently get you to ground zero. Good luck with your decision and all your future caching.