Question On Cache Trading And...

McKeeFamily2

Hello all,

New here obviously and having a blast geocaching. A friend of ours told us about geocaching, so we went out and tried one that was created by Knight2000 right down the road from us. The boys (ages 8 and 5) were thrilled! I found the whole thing pretty fascinating - so we were hooked!

That was our first find, and we had taken the time to read the story called "Meet Jack Black." Cute story that we could relate to (we have two strays here too). My oldest son took the time to sew a little pouch to put cat nip in, and we stuck a note on there that it was for "Jack Black."

My youngest son LOVES anything with the name Knight2000 on it! :-)

Points being, our first few finds were interesting caches - and we have put a lot of thought into what to trade for things the kids (and CO) may find. Personally as the mom and dad - we don't take anything, but we leave things and make sure the kids always trade up or trade equal. We also do our best to write everything down so we can post on the CO's cache page. We always sign the log book. We have replaced a couple plastic bags when needed.

I wish everyone (especially folks with kids) would take that same amount of time to consider the kiddos that find these caches. My kids work hard to find good trades, so when they find a cache that has very cheap, dirty items, or things that they can't play with (like a business card, old paper coupon, etc) it's not very exciting for them. Don't get me wrong, we all love the hunt and the nicer places to visit.

Not every cache can be a great one, and most have not been too bad, but a couple could use some folks like us to make it interesting for the next finders. ;-)

I'm guessing what happens, concerning the kid friendly caches - that kids being kids - can easily think that a broken trinket is worth as much as a nice old collectible hotwheel car that's in nice shape. Worse yet, they take a thing or two with no trade at all to replace it, leaving the next kiddos to find basically nothing interesting. It really is up to the parents to monitor this, and teach their children about picking up trash laying around - and what trading up or equal means.

We have taken about 8 kids together (once), to two different caches. The other kids didn't exaclty know about geocaching yet - and were being introduced, so their trade items were not so good - if they had any at all. It was just a quick last minute idea to get a few kids out, so we should have done a better job letting the parents know the whole story.

Here's what happened:

My boys pulled out their trade bags and the other kids would either a. - take what my kids just put in, or b. - take something DIRECTLY OUT of my boys cache bags. I didn't really mind, as long as the cache got filled back up with other things that would make another kid cacher happy on the find.

Here is what we do, in case it would help others...

1. First we go through the house looking for things that might make interesting finds, toys the kids are willing to part with, things like new shoe strings, plastic bags, pens and pencils, etc.

We check all toys to be sure there are no broken parts, and we clean them if they need cleaned. We'll even make things like the catnip bag for Jack Black. :-)

2. We go to the dollar store looking for interesting/helpful things. Stuff like bottles of hand sanitizer, bug spray wipes, pens, etc.

3. We go to local thrift stores and a junk store that's down the road for other cool cache ideas. We found some test tubes and small glass eyedroppers that would be interesting to just about anyone. Older cachers can probably use the tubes for micro caching, kids can use them for stashing small rocks and other tiny things.

4. When we are out (most recently to a gem show), we look for things that would be interesting for kids to find in a cache. We also think of the parents, as a bug spray wipe or a bottle of hand sanitizer could be a very helpful find.

The gem show we went to yesterday has a gem mining area. I spent probably $10.00 letting the boys hunt rocks JUST for geocaching. (plus the other 10+ for the boy's own collections).

As we walked around, I noticed a big stack of small paper sheets that have a buck off coupon, and all the info listed on the next gem show in the fall. I snagged about 30-40 of them, and cleared that with the akron lapidary club. We know a guy high up the chain there and let him know why we pulled the coupon papers - he laughed and shook his head. :-)

We did ONE cache after the gem show, since it was right in that area - hehehehe... and I made a small bag with some fool's gold, an arrow head, a desert rose, and a piece of peacock ore. I also included a handwritten note, and one of those sheets of paper that tell about the fall gem show.

When we got home, we started putting together small rock bags. One is a testube FULL of the TINIEST little rocks, including the very pretty peacock ore, iron pyrite (fools gold), quartz, etc.

Others are large pretty "Mystery Rocks" in which the goal of that find is to figure out what type of stone it is.

One contains a nice "apache tear" and says to look up the stone online.

All of our rock bags included a handwritten note on an index card, one of those sheets of paper with info on the next gem show (so another interested child might be able to go learn more) and everything is in a ziplock bag ready to go.

Now, all that and finally a question! LOL!

Is it ok for me to include that gem show sheet of paper, since it could be viewed by some as an advertisement? Or would they recognize the goal of our cache trades, which is to be educational and fun for the kids to find?

I've written enough now, but that's what we've got so far. We have 11 finds now, and hope to hide our own soon. :-)

Edited by McKeeFamily2

Hello all,

lots of stuff deleted

Now, all that and finally a question! LOL!

Is it ok for me to include that gem show sheet of paper, since it could be viewed by some as an advertisement? Or would they recognize the goal of our cache trades, which is to be educational and fun for the kids to find?

I've written enough now, but that's what we've got so far. We have 11 finds now, and hope to hide our own soon. :-)

It is okay to include the sheet. Nice rocks are a great trade item that everyone will appreciate, especially if there is a little information that goes with them, which I am assuming is included on the sheet.

Sounds like you and your kids are doing a great job and having fun. Welcome to geocaching!

The gem show sheet is a valid trade item.

As far as swag, I rarely ever trade. I don't have kids or anything so I just don't really bother with it. I don't add swag or take swag away so I figure the swag is not affected by me either way.

However, whenever a place a cache big enough, I always pagk it full of good swag to start it off. I'll hit up the goodwill store to see if there is anything worthwhile and I'll hit up the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart to look for stuff to add like: matchstick containers, space blankets, emergency whistles, quick patches for mountain bike tires, etc, etc.

Nice ideas simpjkee,

I thought it would be neat to do some "themed" cache hides, yours would be geared to a "survival type" cache, which has ran through my head a couple times. Also stuff like a "book cache" where you can trade books - but how to keep them things dry could prove to be interesting.

Dog cache, with dog leash (that we always seem to be losing) dog toys, dog nail clippers, etc. :lol:

I've thought of bug themes, animal themes, music themes, cooking themes, kid themes, educational themes, of course gem/stone themes.... it's almost as fun to think about creating and hiding a cache as it is to find one!

3 out of 6 caches this afternoon has these identical grey bats in it and just so happened I had 4 rubber lizards with me..

of course the first cache I didn't realize this was going to happen but normally I don't bother with SWAG too much,, I carry a few items (Value Village is a great place to buy SWAG in bulk for a buck or two) 1.99 for a bag of rubber bugs..

Anyways I took the bat and left a lizard and got a chuckle out of that... then the next cache I found another bat so did the same.. walking back to the car I found a golf ball..

Got to the next cache and it had a bat and a golf ball.. So I took a bat left a lizard and took a skull and left a golfball and plan to make a comment in my log about it beings a golfers dream 2x golfballs for swag..

Anyways what made me think of it was I found a couple coupons for hot drinks (expired almost a year ago) in a couple caches.. (left them there as I got a chuckle out of them...

But on 1 hand you could consider them advertisments.. and on the other on a cool fall or winter night who wouldn't love to find a coupon for a buck off a hot chocolate from a local vendor..

I know a couple people who run a chip truck and have put a few caches in the neighborhood of the chip truck and left FTF Free Summer of Fries in each and randomly will leave a Free Family Fries certificate in them.

I am not sure if they are still doing this and really not sure what the guidelines say about this but at any rate I never heard any complaints and I find it to be an ingenious idea.. and very thoughtful of them as well..

I tell ya if I came across a cache at a dairy queen with a free sundae certificate in it I'd be delighted.

Recently I found a cache with a scratch ticket.. I won another free ticket on it..

I think that as long as it is in good taste and your are providing a benefit to a cacher whether it be monetary, knowledge(historical, geographical etc.) or something that brings a smile to a person face then it is? or should be fair game.

Bill

I tell ya if I came across a cache at a dairy queen with a free sundae certificate in it I'd be delighted.

Recently I found a cache with a scratch ticket.. I won another free ticket on it..

I think that as long as it is in good taste and your are providing a benefit to a cacher whether it be monetary, knowledge(historical, geographical etc.) or something that brings a smile to a person face then it is? or should be fair game.

Bill

Nice Bill!

Great story with the bats and golf balls... heheheh. Gotta love it. But I think you're right on the coupons. I'd love the same thing, and my boys would fight over a free sundae. :lol: It would have to be the correct placement (near a dairy queen) - and it should be timely for sure.

This one would go into September, but it's not necessary to have anyhow. The whole thing with the "mystery rocks" would send one on a mission to find out what stones they have, and learn about how it was formed, etc. The apache tear is pretty cool. You can see through it slightly, and it's like black glass with a brownish tone when you look through the stone into a light. The story behind it is pretty cool too.

I'm excited to go start placing some fun swag in some caches. ;)

While not disagreeing with the OP, there are some things to keep in mind...

First of all, this recreation was not originally designed for young children. It was based upon taking somebody to an area that they probably would have otherwise never gotten to, or realized it was there. It was designed around a hike through wilderness. The idea of trading something was secondary, signing the log was primary.

The "treasure hunt" aspect came about later, as others heard and had no better way to describe it.

Many cachers do not tow a bunch of kids with them. Hence, carting McToys and the like for trade has little, if any appeal whatsoever. Leaving something is a nice gesture whether taking something or not, it is the idea of having to leave a toy that is unappealing to many. Almost sounds selfish, does it not? It isn't, it is their game, also, certainly not just a kid's game.

Think also of the non-kids. A coupon is cool, as is a lottery scratch-off. Some people like polished rocks,young and old -- so be sure to drop off a diamond or ruby crystal occasionally (no real need to be a polished one -- personally, I would love a Morganite crystal). Something usable, collectible or simply unique can be prized by anyone.

In all what I think I am trying to say is that the kids-only thoughts about geocaching should not be in the forefront of everybody's noodle.

Many find, as a matter of "evolution", it has little to do with trading. It is the hunt, the challenge and the find. It is a game for all, not just for kids.

I love finding coupons in caches :) We also like placing them. We get a coupon mailer in our neighborhood that we don't use all the coupons for, but I know that people travelling through Eugene and caching might like to get a "$10 off dinner for 2" type coupon. We just make sure to put them in baggies so they don't get wet.

By the way, to the OP; I LOVE your avatar. It's beautiful!

While not disagreeing with the OP, there are some things to keep in mind...

First of all, this recreation was not originally designed for young children. It was based upon taking somebody to an area that they probably would have otherwise never gotten to, or realized it was there. It was designed around a hike through wilderness. The idea of trading something was secondary, signing the log was primary.

The "treasure hunt" aspect came about later, as others heard and had no better way to describe it.

Many cachers do not tow a bunch of kids with them. Hence, carting McToys and the like for trade has little, if any appeal whatsoever. Leaving something is a nice gesture whether taking something or not, it is the idea of having to leave a toy that is unappealing to many. Almost sounds selfish, does it not? It isn't, it is their game, also, certainly not just a kid's game.

Think also of the non-kids. A coupon is cool, as is a lottery scratch-off. Some people like polished rocks,young and old -- so be sure to drop off a diamond or ruby crystal occasionally (no real need to be a polished one -- personally, I would love a Morganite crystal). Something usable, collectible or simply unique can be prized by anyone.

In all what I think I am trying to say is that the kids-only thoughts about geocaching should not be in the forefront of everybody's noodle.

Many find, as a matter of "evolution", it has little to do with trading. It is the hunt, the challenge and the find. It is a game for all, not just for kids.

Very good points. Being new to this hobby - with KIDS that we need to keep active/busy, it's just what we have observed and thought about so far. I've read some of the history, and did some other research - so definitely would not try a difficult hide with the kids. We keep to the easy stuff, and people in our local area seem to be kid friendly. We'll probably keep our caches (when we get to hiding them) kid friendly too.

It's not that I EXPECT everyone to bring things for kids - it would just be nice for folks to keep in mind that kids do go to the easy caches at least. Honestly, my youngest is so into "deer hunting" archery, fishing etc - if he sees anything related in a cache he pulls it out. He found one bullet - large pointy thing - that I assumed was not live. He brought it home, the hubby looked at it - and said it is very possible that it IS a live bullet, and that he probably wouldn't know for sure unless he took it apart.

So, we just took it from the youngest explaining why - and put the thing up.

As a parent, it's MY job to say no, of course - but I didn't think it would be an actual LIVE bullet of course. Next time I might be a bit more careful.

Another thing that the kids found and begged me for was candy in a cache. I said heck no, absolutely NOT - and explained WHY. No idea how long that candy had been there, no idea if it could be contaminated, and there is candy at home anyhow - so NO WAY! LOL.

By the way, to the OP; I LOVE your avatar. It's beautiful!

Thank you. :)

We're colorful people - so it seems to fit well. You can find that image here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compass_Card.png

The license allows reuse under the terms stated on that page - so it's OK to use as an avatar. :anicute:

I would assume that the adults that are doing it for the logs are not the same people that are putting the broken toys and crap in them. In that case this topic would be of no issue to them. It is more for the family's that do it with kids for the enjoyment and family time.

I would assume that the adults that are doing it for the logs are not the same people that are putting the broken toys and crap in them. In that case this topic would be of no issue to them. It is more for the family's that do it with kids for the enjoyment and family time.

:::nods head in agreement:::

Now that I'm reading a bit more in the forum (where as I had not before) I'm getting a better idea of what others do, what not to do, a good idea on how many actual families are in this with kids, how many are not, and what their ideas and reasoning is for geocaching.

It's actually very helpful.

I mean, look on the www.geocaching.com homepage - what do you see up top? A kid with a swag bag. :)

Seems to me, that it's almost leading people to think mostly the same things we thought. Good thing to do with kids, good learning experience on how to run GPS - what longitude and latitude mean, and of course - some "treasures" in the process.

If they want this site to be geared more toward the serious and hard core geocachers, maybe an image of a guy doing a rock climb, or something. But then I like to design websites for a living, so heck what do I know. :anicute:

The caching community is a diverse group. That is kinda the great thing, and the Achilles heel at the same time, when thinking of geocaching. There are the hardcore types and then there are families that find a couple on a weekend. Sometimes the two demographics don't play well with others. Shoot sometimes they don't play well within their own group. But in the end must everyone has fun.

I think it's great that you're taking such care in choosing and trading swag. I'm not a trader but my two kids definitely are happy when they see a cache that includes good swag. We try to trade up and even leave swag in empty caches sometimes so that the next kids will have a good experience. Have fun caching!