New geocacher etiquette question

theFR34K

I logged my first cache some years ago, at that time all i had was car gps (worked like crap)

Today i have a blackberry (and in a few months an iphone) and upon using google maps for the umpteenth time i realized hey this could get me back into geocaching! so im back now and think this will be a very exciting way to spend my summer :)

On to my question

I know that when taking something from a cache, you should leave something :D

I took my first ever trackable item, and left a chess piece

Question is the chess piece is a trivial amount of money, while the trackable is 10ish $ ,, i reason that i will be placing the trackable at a new location in the next 2-5 days. in this since i did not gain anything from the cache except the experience of moving my first trackable

In this case did i correctly place an item of equal value or should i only take trackables when leaving trackables?

If I may offer an "aside"... just as the car GPS didn't work well for geocaching (although it probably was awesome as a car navigation system) your Blackberry and your future iPhone also will be compromises. If you really want to geocache, do yourself a favor and get a real off-road handheld GPS.Yeah, you can drive a screw with a hammer, and you can drive a screw with the Ronco Home-Improvement MultiTool, but really... there is nothing quite like a screwdriver for driving a screw.

Yes I agree totally with the above statement after geocaching with someone else who has an I-phone.

And its totally useless for hiding caches.

But as far as value, that chess piece was totally worthless so couldn't have been used as a trade item for anything but a mc toy.

What is someone going to do with one chess piece?

You have to think of the reciever when you think of trades.

What is it that YOU would like to find in a cache?

If I may offer an "aside"... just as the car GPS didn't work well for geocaching (although it probably was awesome as a car navigation system) your Blackberry and your future iPhone also will be compromises. If you really want to geocache, do yourself a favor and get a real off-road handheld GPS.Yeah, you can drive a screw with a hammer, and you can drive a screw with the Ronco Home-Improvement MultiTool, but really... there is nothing quite like a screwdriver for driving a screw.

Whaccha got against hammers?

hammer-screwdriver-tool.jpg

Whaccha got against hammers?

hammer-screwdriver-tool.jpg

That's no hammer.

This

big_hammer.jpg

is a hammer!

This

big_hammer.jpg

is a hammer!

meh.... this:

hammer_IPTV.jpg

is a hammer! ;)

and in order to justify this post: what i sometimes do is, i leave a TB but don't take anything, but when taking a TB i leave something else. if i happen to have something, that is ;)

They work INSANELY well. See http://blackstarnavigation.com for a dedicated Geocaching app for Blackberry. It's free, and can import GPX/LOC files.