Stealth?

You are going to get lots of different answers to this question. And there are a lot of different answers as to what constitutes "stealth."

In theory, I suppose, if every cache had permission there would be little need for stealth. Just put up the sign that says "Geocache Search in Progress" and start to look. But there are a whole lot of variations. Bottom line perhaps is that a container might be in an area where a noncacher might find it and throw it away. Therefore a certain amount of stealth (I would prefer the use of the word "caution") might be necessary to protect the cache.

Edited by Erickson

I have noticed that sometimes if I'm caching in a heavily populated area, that Muggles tend to completely ignore you. I was looking for one at a very well-traveled intersection a few weeks ago during the evening rush hour and even though the cache was completely out in the open (but VERY well disguised) and that I walked by it a couple times before making the find, NO ONE seemed to know I was there. It's as if everyone is so caught up in there own little world, that someone walking down a sidewalk with a device in their hand doesn't warrant any attention.

I have more people notice me when I'm in rural settings on in parks, that when hunting urban caches. I almost stopped practicing stealth in the city these days and have never been called out, nor have caches disappeared after I've been there.

Could someone explain why the need for stealth when geocaching?

:)

BD

So, your first cache find, Roanoke Zoo, if there were many people around and you "found" it in their presence not minding the stealthy aspect and put it back, what may have occurred after you left?

Someone may have gone to the hide and observed it and put it back nicely or someone more callous may have disturbed it, thrown it away or stolen in. So to "protect" the sanctity of the cache we just try to be as unobtrusive to those around us as possible

I have noticed that sometimes if I'm caching in a heavily populated area, that Muggles tend to completely ignore you. I was looking for one at a very well-traveled intersection a few weeks ago during the evening rush hour and even though the cache was completely out in the open (but VERY well disguised) and that I walked by it a couple times before making the find, NO ONE seemed to know I was there. It's as if everyone is so caught up in there own little world, that someone walking down a sidewalk with a device in their hand doesn't warrant any attention.

I have more people notice me when I'm in rural settings on in parks, that when hunting urban caches. I almost stopped practicing stealth in the city these days and have never been called out, nor have caches disappeared after I've been there.

Ths is very true. Harry Dolphin's stealth stories:

Nano at the base of a sign outside a very popular restaurant in NYC. Lady leaning against the sign! Dolphin plops backpack down against the back of the sign, about four inches from lady's ankle. Rummages through backpack, palms nano cache. Goes off to sign the log. Plops backpack down against he sign again, rummages through backpack, returns cache to hiding place. Nobody saw anything!

Cache hidden in small gazebo, with girl sleeping under cache. Parents sitting alongside. Dolphin directs visiting cachers from another state to go ten feet to the east, point into the lake and yell "Look at that!". Dolphin climbs over sleeping girl, gets cache. Visiting cachers spoint in a different direction and scream "It's a hawk!" Dolphin returns cache to hiding place.

On the other fin, cache placed by someone who hides nasty caches. As near as I can figure, its in the awning of an abandoned store. Nearby store owner threatens (not a real threat) to call the police. I can live without that CO's caches. No redeeming social value, outside of flaunting guidelne violations.

Could someone explain why the need for stealth when geocaching?

:)

BD

Twelve year old boys.

You should see my almost-twelve year old boy when he's in stealth mode. :D It's hilarious. I keep telling him that when we've got the "we own the place" thing going we're less noticable then when he's being "stealthy".

Geocaches are more likely to go missing if non geocachers know about them. Many cachers like to be stealthy to prevent the caches location from being revealed.

^That is the reason I use stealth. I do not want to be the person that had a cache placers cache go missing because someone curious or just malicious make it go missing because they saw me with it.

Ths is very true. Harry Dolphin's stealth stories:

Nano at the base of a sign outside a very popular restaurant in NYC. Lady leaning against the sign! Dolphin plops backpack down against the back of the sign, about four inches from lady's ankle. Rummages through backpack, palms nano cache. Goes off to sign the log. Plops backpack down against he sign again, rummages through backpack, returns cache to hiding place. Nobody saw anything!

Cache hidden in small gazebo, with girl sleeping under cache. Parents sitting alongside. Dolphin directs visiting cachers from another state to go ten feet to the east, point into the lake and yell "Look at that!". Dolphin climbs over sleeping girl, gets cache. Visiting cachers spoint in a different direction and scream "It's a hawk!" Dolphin returns cache to hiding place.

On the other fin, cache placed by someone who hides nasty caches. As near as I can figure, its in the awning of an abandoned store. Nearby store owner threatens (not a real threat) to call the police. I can live without that CO's caches. No redeeming social value, outside of flaunting guidelne violations.

First story.. snapping upskirt pics...

second story... you climbed over a sleeping girl??...

third example... I agree

Kidding! :laughing: