Is the information for this event unclear?

joespaz

I am being told that the information for the event I want to have is unclear. My reviewer says even though I have listed this as a regular event some people may come expecting a C.I.T.O. Event icon and get upset when they don't get one.

My question is what suggestions do you think I should make to make the event and its intent clearer?

Below is the information as I listed it on the cache page:

CACHE TITLE:

F.A.M.E. 2010 Untraditional C.I.T.O. Themed Event

LONG DESCRIPTION:

C.I.T.O. (Cache In Trash Out) THEMED EVENT

When: 6PM - 8PM

Where: Follow your GPS

Who: All Geocachers and friends are welcome

Why: To promote C.I.T.O. in the game of Geocaching

This is a philosophy that many more of us should consider participating.

This event is being help to highlight the good things it does for our game and the environment.

If you have an idea that would help promote C.I.T.O. and could be incorporated into the activities/games for this event event please let us know.

Contest:

"C.I.T.O. Kit Contest"

Whoever brings the most prepared C.I.T.O. Kits will win a prize.

C.I.T.O. Kit should contain a garbage bag and a glove

C.I.T.O. Kits should be labeled with instructions and C.I.T.O. Logo

NOTE: Participation in C.I.T.O. activities/games is NOT required for an "attended" log, just bring your smiling faces, and have fun hanging out. The games/activities will be separate.

What icon is displayed on the cache page, an event icon or a CITO icon?

If it's the speech bubble, then folks should expect to get an event icon.

If it's the blue & green Yin-Yang looking thing, folks should expect to get a CITO icon.

What part doesn't the Reviewer get? :D

You want to bring folks together to discuss one of the more positive aspects of the game.

Sounds like an awesome event to me!

If you brought folks together to discuss puzzle caches, should they expect to get the puzzle cache icon from the meeting?

If you brought folks together to discuss Wherigos, should folks expect to get a Wherigo icon from the meeting?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it? :P

It's an event.

Folks get the event icon if they attend.

I'm with the crowd that thinks it's weird to have an event highlighting CITO but not actually doing any CITO. :D Seems like you should be doing it, not just talking about it. Isn't that the point?

At least, that's what I get from it; I agree the writeup is a bit vague. Not clear what the activities are, but apparently none are actual CITO.

Edited by hydnsek

List it as the C.I.T.O. event it appears to be? Dughnugh, never looked into listing one.

Just concentrating on discussing C.I.T.O. & the "C.I.T.O. Kit Contest" make it a C.I.T.O. event.

5 years ago I wanted to hold a "C.I.T.O. Event" but not in the conventional way. Most people thought at the time that "C.I.T.O. Events" were meeting at a location and working together to clean the area up. So they wouldn't let me list it as a "C.I.T.O. Event." That is why I listed this one as a regular event instead.

Maybe ideas have changed and people are more willing to try Nontraditional things and still call them C.I.T.O. events?

Kinda seems strange to talk about the benefits of CITO and why we should be doing it and then not CITO at the event. Maybe add a CITO to the end of the event to fill the CITO requirements. Then you wouldn't have any confusion.

M24

I am trying to think of ways for people to C.I.T.O. before the event, maybe from Friday 6pm - Sunday 6pm, and turn it in to a contest. I was looking for people in the area to help me with ideas.

Another contest I wanted to have was the "C.I.T.O. Kit" making contest. I was hoping by encouraging people to bring their kits to the event that we would get more people helping to make this activity more accessible to more Geocachers.

I want people to C.I.T.O in response to this event, but I can't really "require" it. So I am open to suggestions on how to encourage it.

Yes, the information about the event in indeed unclear. Reading that, I have no clear picture about what would happen at the event, and what I do infer doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

F.A.M.E. (Fremont Area Meet and Eat) is an idea that I had when I first started Geocaching 6 years ago. I really enjoyed getting together with local cachers at the BADGES events and wanted to see more events like that. In an effort to have a little variety I thought having a theme for each event would be a good idea. Since I have been back here are the events I have hosted so far:

"F.A.M.E. TravelBug Photo Shoot"

"HappyBirthdayJoeSpazIsBack"

"F.A.M.E. Untraditional C.I.T.O. Event"

These events are basically just the regular "pizza get together" as my local reviewer said. I can't see the harm in trying to make them a little interesting by having a theme.

I tried to edit the page in a way that would make it clear that this is NOT a official "C.I.T.O. Event." What I am looking for is people to give me ideas on how to make the page clearer so that anyone who reads it will understand. I have never been to an event where they list all the details of every raffle/drawing/ or contest they will have. I don't think it is normal to include that much detail is it?

Of course some people may not care about C.I.T.O at all. I tried to let them know that they are welcome to attend anyways by including a note at the bottom of the cache page. Then again some people may choose not to come even then, and I wouldn't be offended. I am just trying to plan an event where those of us that want to get together can, and we have a cool idea that we might want to focus on.

Please add some suggestions on how to make the page clearer, more appealing, etc. Thanks!

What icon is displayed on the cache page, an event icon or a CITO icon?

If it's the speech bubble, then folks should expect to get an event icon.

If it's the blue & green Yin-Yang looking thing, folks should expect to get a CITO icon.

What part doesn't the Reviewer get? :D

You want to bring folks together to discuss one of the more positive aspects of the game.

Sounds like an awesome event to me!

If you brought folks together to discuss puzzle caches, should they expect to get the puzzle cache icon from the meeting?

If you brought folks together to discuss Wherigos, should folks expect to get a Wherigo icon from the meeting?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it? :P

It's an event.

Folks get the event icon if they attend.

I like the Puzzle Event idea. Maybe next month I will make the "F.A.M.E. Puzzle Event." We can get together as usual and work on local puzzles as a team. Of course I won't list it as a puzzle cache, but it still sounds like fun!

I'm with the crowd that thinks it's weird to have an event highlighting CITO but not actually doing any CITO. :D Seems like you should be doing it, not just talking about it. Isn't that the point?

At least, that's what I get from it; I agree the writeup is a bit vague. Not clear what the activities are, but apparently none are actual CITO.

Please give me some suggestions to make the page LESS vague. I need help!

If you have an idea that would help promote C.I.T.O. and could be incorporated into the activities/games for this event event please let us know.

I have an idea!

Host a CITO event. :D

I would love to attend a traditional C.I.T.O. Event. I don't have the energy to try and plan one in that fashion. If someone else wants to plan one for that day in my area, then I would be willing to cancel my event.

Maybe ideas have changed and people are more willing to try Nontraditional things and still call them C.I.T.O. events?

That is the strangest thing I have seen in awhile. It is a CITO or it isn't. At CITO events we pick up trash or pull weeds or something like that.

Sitting around talking about CITO and not doing it seems more like something a governmental entity would do.

That is the strangest thing I have seen in awhile. It is a CITO or it isn't. At CITO events we pick up trash or pull weeds or something like that.

Sitting around talking about CITO and not doing it seems more like something a governmental entity would do.

OMG, that is so true and too funny! :D:P:):unsure::lol:

JoeSpaz, I truly appreciate what you are trying to do, but I think the best bet for an event like this is to link with someone else in the area willing to host a CITO and hold your event a week before as a Pre CITO. Kind of like a "recon" meet & greet. And call it the Pre "whatever the CITO event name is"

In the description, say that this is a meet and greet and divvy up jobs for the upcoming CITO and do all the other things you want to do. That may be more clear to those in your area.

But, as it is now, IMO there is no context to what you are trying to do, other than its the CITO time of the year and you'd rather discuss things than actually do something about it. Hence, the bureaucratic comment.

I am being told that the information for the event I want to have is unclear. My reviewer says even though I have listed this as a regular event some people may come expecting a C.I.T.O. Event icon and get upset when they don't get one.

My question is what suggestions do you think I should make to make the event and its intent clearer?

CACHE TITLE:

LONG DESCRIPTION:

This event is being help to highlight the good things it does for our game and the environment.

Contest:

"C.I.T.O. Kit Contest"

NOTE: Participation in C.I.T.O. activities/games is NOT required for an "attended" log, just bring your smiling faces, and have fun hanging out. The games/activities will be separate.

Otay, you asked for edit suggestions to make your mission clearer - try this...

START

CACHE TITLE:

F.A.M.E. 2010 Prepare to CITO - A Geocaching Event

LONG DESCRIPTION:

A geocaching event to discuss, promote and plan for CITO (Cache In Trash Out)

Why: To promote CITO in the game of Geocaching

CITO is the geocacher's personal practice of collecting trash while on their cache hunts as well as geocachers collaborating in groups to clean up a specific area during a CITO Event.

Let's get together to learn more about how CITO benefits each of us as well as our communities, and highlight the good things it does for our game and the environment.

If you have an idea that would help promote CITO and could be incorporated into the activities/games for this event please email [joespaz at his email address].

CITO Kit Contest

A CITO Kit is a small container which contains a trash bag and a plastic glove. Geocachers carry CITO kits so that they are ready at the moment of need to clean up debris found along the trail.

Whoever brings the most prepared CITO Kits will win a prize!

CITO Kits should be labeled with instructions and CITO Logo

NOTE: This is a geocaching event open to all. Participation in CITO activities/games is NOT required for an "attended" log, just bring your smiling faces, and have fun hanging out.

END

Comment - Your request that participants bring "C.I.T.O. Kits should be labeled with instructions and C.I.T.O. Logo" will just about guarantee zero participation! Few folks have logo labels and such lying around.

My suggestion - make kit building part of the event where attendees are given film cans, bags, gloves and labels (does anyone really need instructions? :D ) and they assemble kits. Everyone gets a couple to take home for their geo-pack and to put in caches.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

CACHE TITLE:

LONG DESCRIPTION:

Contest:

"C.I.T.O. Kit Contest"

Otay, you asked for edit suggestions to make your mission clearer - try this...

START

CACHE TITLE:

F.A.M.E. 2010 Prepare to CITO - A Geocaching Event

LONG DESCRIPTION:

CITO is the geocacher's personal practice of collecting trash while on their cache hunts as well as geocachers collaborating in groups to clean up a specific area during a CITO Event.

Let's get together to learn more about how CITO benefits each of us as well as our communities, and highlight the good things it does for our game and the environment.

If you have an idea that would help promote CITO and could be incorporated into the activities/games for this event please email [joespaz at his email address].

CITO Kit Contest

A CITO Kit is a small container which contains a trash bag and a plastic glove. Geocachers carry CITO kits so that they are ready at the moment of need to clean up debris found along the trail.

Whoever brings the most prepared CITO Kits will win a prize!

CITO Kits should be labeled with instructions and CITO Logo

NOTE: This is a geocaching event open to all. Participation in CITO activities/games is NOT required for an "attended" log, just bring your smiling faces, and have fun hanging out.

END

Comment - Your request that participants bring "C.I.T.O. Kits should be labeled with instructions and C.I.T.O. Logo" will just about guarantee zero participation! Few folks have logo labels and such lying around.

My suggestion - make kit building part of the event where attendees are given film cans, bags, gloves and labels (does anyone really need instructions? :D ) and they assemble kits. Everyone gets a couple to take home for their geo-pack and to put in caches.

Thank you for the AWESOME suggestions. I will try this exactly as you have posted and see if it works!

CACHE TITLE:

F.A.M.E. 2010 Prepare to C.I.T.O. Geocaching Event

SHORT DESCRIPTION:

This is another monthly F.A.M.E. get together, this is NOT an official C.I.T.O. event. If anyone would like to help plan it please send a message through the F.A.M.E. profile.

LONG DESCRIPTION:

If you have an idea that would help promote CITO and could be incorporated into the activities/games for this event please email me at joespaz@ymail.com.

CITO Kit Building Table -

Materials will be provided to build C.I.T.O. Kits, everyone that builds 5 will be entered into a drawing for a nice prize.

NOTE: This is a Geocaching event open to all. Participation in CITO activities/games is NOT required for an "attended" log, just bring your smiling faces, and have fun hanging out.

END CAHCE DESCRIPTION

Above is how the cache page looks now. I had to alter the suggested title due to character limits. I hope this is clear enough now for the reviewer and other Geocachers.

Edited by joespaz

Yippee! My Event Cache was published! Thanks all, I hope to meet some of you sometime.

Now, lets hope a CITO event actually comes about from this exercise.

I am sorry that an event meant to help people facilitate their own CITO experience isn't enough of a good cause. :P

I have an idea!

Host a CITO event. :P

I would love to attend a traditional C.I.T.O. Event. I don't have the energy to try and plan one in that fashion. If someone else wants to plan one for that day in my area, then I would be willing to cancel my event.

I would have spent less energy setting up a CITO than you have here in the forums. It generally goes:

Email: Hey Amy, let's do a CITO!

Reply: List it!

Reply: Done.

We meet pick up trash, talk, do lunch, hey it's a CITO!