What do you think?

Alright, I'm hosting my first event on May 2 as a 10 year celebration, and I just wondered what some others thought of some of the raffle prizes I've got going.

Home Depot has on sale some mini-multi tools and LED flashlights. An unactivated TB, nano container, donated Geocoin and a couple of empty large almond/peanut containers are also on the list. Any other simple but fun suggestions?

Alright, I'm hosting my first event on May 2 as a 10 year celebration, and I just wondered what some others thought of some of the raffle prizes I've got going.

Home Depot has on sale some mini-multi tools and LED flashlights. An unactivated TB, nano container, donated Geocoin and a couple of empty large almond/peanut containers are also on the list. Any other simple but fun suggestions?

Empty film canisters filled with concrete so they can't be used B)

Empty film canisters filled with concrete so they can't be used

Actually they can be used to weigh down an ammo can under water.

You're going to need a lot of them, as it takes 8.84 lbs. of concrete to offset the buoyancy of a medium sized ammo can.

Oh, you have me excited. I have 80 pounds of concrete in one of my ammo cans. It's not quite a medium sized one though.

I am hosting an event on May 8th. I'm very fortunate in that I have some event sponsors that have donated geocoins and other geoswag, but here's what I got myself:

-fleece blanket (50x60", was on sale at Wal-Mart for under $5.00)

-hard-covered notebook with a pack of pencils/pens (notebook was in Easter stuff for 50% off, pack of pens ~2.00)

-Plain t-shirt, white, size Men's L - + 8.00 for t-shirt printing paper - at the event, I am going to have everyone sign it in permanent marker. I will use the t-shirt transfer paper to write the event name, date, GC# and location and raffle it off (total price for shirt, paper and sharpies about 12.00)

- using the paper I got for the shirt, I also printed re-usable canvas bags with the same info! 3 plain cream coloured canvas bags were $4.99 in a package from my local craft store

-water bottles - I got 3 of them from the student union at my school for $3.00 each - they're nice alluminum ones too!

- Jelly Belly Jelly Beans - 200g boxes were on sale for $2 each! I paired them with a full can of chocolate covered peanuts... even if they don't want to make the container a cache, they can still enjoy the peanuts!

-Check the dollar store or outlet store - some of the things I have gotten there: automatic watering bulbs and gardening gloves, Ice cream sundae kits with scoop, dish, spoon, sprinkles and syrup, good quality rain jacket, kids prizes (badminton set, Mickey Mouse Checkers, bubble wand, craft kits), folding lawn chair in a storage bag, hard covered notebooks, ALL UNDER $5 each

-Military surplus store - rolls of camo tape, camo hat, heavy duty compass, ammo can (small kind, about 3"x5"x4")

-worldcaching.com has chocolate geocoins - a nice gift bag with 5 or 10 coins will range $2.50-$4.00

-Cache addict has trackable Cachekinz for $4.50 - cute AND affordable

I went a *little* overboard with prizes for my event, but hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Good luck with your event!

Sounds like you are on the right track, except for the food tins. Generally they do not make for good cache containers.

There are also some special 10 year shirts and other stuff at the store.

Congrats on hosting an event!

They're the large plastic containers with screw tops. I've seen a few of them as caches and they seem to work alright from what I've seen. If I can get enough other stuff, i'll probably can that idea and stick with the better prizes. I think I also just got a second coin donated as well.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Ammo Cans, neodymium magnets, quality pens make for good prizes. cash is good too :D

Empty film canisters filled with concrete so they can't be used

Actually they can be used to weigh down an ammo can under water.

You're going to need a lot of them, as it takes 8.84 lbs. of concrete to offset the buoyancy of a medium sized ammo can.

Oh, you have me excited. I have 80 pounds of concrete in one of my ammo cans. It's not quite a medium sized one though.

no worries of that getting muggled.