Needs maintainance - not logged as a find?

zoddas

To day I found a soaking wet cache. As I'm rather new to this sport I thought this should be reported as a "needs maintainance".

To my disappointment this did not get logged as a find.

Should I log it one more time as a "Found it!"?

I'm new too, and I've learned to start carrying backup logs, in diff sizes for various situations. When i post a needs maintenence, i also log the find. Good luck!

I wouldn't have even used that button (NEEDS MAT) I would have logged it as a find and put somthing in the description about a wet log. The NEEDS MAT. button is more for a cache that is broken, full of water, or so beat up that it looks like trash.

I carry note books with me to put into peoples caches if they are water logged. It takes less time for me to do it then the owner.

I wouldn't have even used that button (NEEDS MAT) I would have logged it as a find and put somthing in the description about a wet log. The NEEDS MAT. button is more for a cache that is broken, full of water, or so beat up that it looks like trash.

I carry note books with me to put into peoples caches if they are water logged. It takes less time for me to do it then the owner.

It's a wet cache in need of some TLC.

How many times have previous cachers noted in their found it logs that it's wet?

The Needs Maintenance does at least flag it as needed, rather than the owner ignoring another 'found it' log.

The NEEDS MAT. button is more for a cache that is broken, full of water, or so beat up that it looks like trash.

Not exactly. The OP did the right thing. If a cache is soaking wet then it does need maintenance. If it was mine I'd want to know so we could fix it ASAP!

I agree, OP did the right thing. If its wet, there's probably a reason (that needs to be dealt with). Also, if its wet, any other log paper included, thats not waterproof or placed in a bag, will very soon be as wet as the original log. In my short time caching, I have already seen instances where the found it logs included information about repairs that needed to be made, that went un answered for a long time. I assume thats because the person who hid it doesn't read all the found it logs. Thats why there is a different button for that.

I sorta agree.

We've noticed a lot of newer folks lately feel the need to hit N.M. for everything from "logs almost full" to they "can't find it."

We're pretty quick on fixing things that are posted in the log.

Should be no need to hit "needs maintenance" unless the CO isn't responding in a timely manner.

As a side... We appreciate it when people replace a damp/full log with new, but we'd still appreciate a note in the log saying you did it.

We use Rite-In-Rain for most of ours and while doing maintenance checks, have found pieces of calendar pages and once a gum wrapper used as a replacement. With a note on the log, we'd swap them out quick.

To clarify this for the OP:

"NM" log is separate because there are times that a cache is re-visited such as placing/retrieving a TB; introducing a new member to geocaching, etc. For that reason, you may well wish to post a "NM" log, but at the same time, you do not want your find count to increase -- heck, you have already found it, yes?

Outside of the question: posting the "NM" log is correct for a wet or full log.

In the case of the wet log, the wet log itself is a side issue, the reason for the wet log is the real issue, and it should be attended to by the cache owner. Placing a new log yourself is fine, we do that -- but the CO should also get the "flag" that you did that.

In the case of a full log, the log belongs to the CO and therefore, the CO should remove/replace the log so that it doesn't become lost or destroyed. Too, it helps prevent the cache from being littered w/additional pieces of paper/gum wrappers or whatever people use to "sign". It should be attended to and the "NM" log assists in getting that accomplished.