Oops

PandaChic

So...what do you do when you accidently destroy a geocache?

I found a micro earlier today, and as I was writing my info on it, I dropped it - into the thick, thick brush - and couldn't find it again.

It was at someone's house, so my gut is saying "Email him to tell what happened, then buy a new container." Your thoughts?

I found a micro earlier today, and as I was writing my info on it, I dropped it - into the thick, thick brush - and couldn't find it again.

It was at someone's house, so my gut is saying "Email him to tell what happened, then buy a new container." Your thoughts?

Send the email and work it out.

Question, suppose that it wasn't "at someone's house"?

First off.... you didn't destroy it. :D You rehid it much harder to find! :):sad:

Seriously, contact the CO, explain what happened, and offer to replace the container.

If it were my cache, I'd thank you for telling me that it needed maintenance, and probably decline your offer to replace it, and then go do the maintenance.

I did this same thing. I had the body of the micro but lost the lid. I emailed the CO and also stated in my log that I lost the lid and made a note of it so that other cachers would know that it isn't there.

What I did with the body of the cache and the log was to place into a nearby cache wrapped in a note stating what the item was and to leave it for the CO of the one I lost. This worked out pretty good. The worst thing about it was that it was a new listing and I happened to be the FTF on it so the other 3 people that went to look for it missed out.

I now carry a couple of micros for just this reason.

I did almost the exact same thing. Except the one I dropped was a BLACK Nano at night. Had to run back to the car pulled out a new one and replaced the Cache and posted in my log what I had done. Oh and that I still had half the cache and if anyone found the other half to drop me an email.