geocaching on blackberry storm2

1. The Geocache Navigator app that you linked to is presented under a special trusted partner arrangement between Groundspeak and Trimble. You can't get much closer to an official application than that.

2. I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum.

there is also a free one called blackstar for the blackberry

The big difference bewtwen Cacheberry and Blackstar compared to Geocache Navigator is that the 1st two are offline apps that need you to load the caches in advance where the Geocache Navigator can actually find caches live based on your current location and after finding (or not finding) you can log a field note right from your phone.

The big difference bewtwen Cacheberry and Blackstar compared to Geocache Navigator is that the 1st two are offline apps that need you to load the caches in advance where the Geocache Navigator can actually find caches live based on your current location and after finding (or not finding) you can log a field note right from your phone.

Another big difference is that Geocache Navigator requires a cell connection. So if you are out of cell reception range, it will not work. But Cacheberry and BlackStar will continue to work as long as your GPS chip is autonamous.

Another big difference is that Geocache Navigator requires a cell connection. So if you are out of cell reception range, it will not work. But Cacheberry and BlackStar will continue to work as long as your GPS chip is autonamous.

True, that's why I have Cacheberry and Geocache Navigator on my BB Storm2. I can plan ahead and load a PQ or I can just find a quick cache on the fly! :)

there is also a free one called blackstar for the blackberry

Actually with either Cacheberry or Blackstar you can find live caches based on your current location (assuming you also have a browser on your phone) AND log the field note from your phone as well. I have done it for several caches.

Edited by Barristergirl

GPS-enabled phones can be a good way to try geocaching, but they aren't great under heavy tree cover and they don't have the rugged design features that handheld GPSrs do. They're certainly not good enough for cache placement.

I actually disagree with this. I have found through experience that my Android phone gets me closer and more accurately to caches than a traditional GPSr does.

While chaching with my friend, his Vista HCx will never have better than 10 foot accuracy. My phone will get me 5 foot accuracy. This is even better than WAAS accuracy when using Assisted GPS cell towers to find locations.

It is funny, but I can always tell when someone used an assisted phone GPS to place a cache cause my phone takes me right to it with perfect accuracy. When a traditional GPSr is used, the coordinates are always off by 10 or more feet.

The app I use for Android OS is actually not permitted to be spoken about here on the forums. It is by far the best app there is and the live map feature is incredible.