What should and what do you use them for? and what happens when you do?

GerritS

The questions I am asking are for each of the below:

a, When do you use it?

b, Who gets notified when you post?

When you write a log on a cache you have 5 options:

1) Found it

a, When you find a cache and sign the log.

b, Cache owner and people watching the cache?

2) Did not find it

a, When you looked but did not find the cache?

3) Write Note

a, ??? Dropping TB's in you forgot?

4) Needs Archived

a, ?

b, ?

5) Needs Maintenance

a, Wet log, Damaged Cache Box anything else?

b, ?

I have tried to self answer but would appreciate the blanks being filled in....

Seems like simple questions and I am being stupid but a search did not revile much...

a, When do you use it?

1) Found it

2) Did not find it

3) Write Note

a, ??? Dropping TB's in you forgot? When something prevents you from searching for a cache but you don't want to log a DNF

4) Needs Archived

a, When a cache is obviously abandoned/missing and the owner is inactive or not responding to Needs Maintenance or DNF logs. When a cache is in blatant breach of the guidelines (buried, private property, etc). When you encounter a landowner that gives you grief for being there and it's obvious that the cache doesn't have proper permissions.

b, Cache owner, people watching the cache, reviewer for that territory.

5) Needs Maintenance

a, Wet log, Damaged Cache Box anything else? Full logbook, cache probably missing, some reason why cache can't be retrieved from its hiding place.

b, Cache owner and people watching the cache.

1) Found it

Cache owner shouldn't find their own cache surely... too easy???

Part b is about who gets the notification email.

Edited by dinö

a, When do you use it?

1) Found it Well done

2) Did not find it Better luck next time

3) Write Note Dropping TBs and giving possible info

4) Needs Archived Let others use it. It's too extreme IMHO

a, ?

b, ?

5) Needs Maintenance A great way to let the owner know of a problem

b, ?

I have tried to self answer but would appreciate the blanks being filled in....

Seems like simple questions and I am being stupid but a search did not revile much...

'People watching the cache' can also include people who have the cache on a bookmark list :)

Mark

caches on a bookmark list don't trigger any type of notifications

Three options on a Bookmark:

1 - I want to share this list with others.

2 - Make this list public (show on bookmarked listings).

3 - Notify me when items on this list are logged.

3) Write Note

If you just want to say something about the cache. It could be to drop off a TB you forgot, it could be because you revisited a cache to drop off a TB. Maybe there were a run of DNFs and you'd found it previously, and confirmed it was either there or not there. Sometimes I post a note to a cache if I went to the general area but didn't conduct a search for some reason - that might be because there were so many muggles there was no way I'd be able to search, or because it involved a climbing manoeuvre I didn't have the confidence to attempt.

Sometimes if a cache has been disabled for a time it can be a gentle prod to the owner to do something with it.

4) Needs Archived

a, ?

b, ?

If a cache needs maintenance and it becomes clear the owner isn't maintaining it, or if it's in a place where a cache just shouldn't be. In theory that latter case should never happen but if it did slip through the reviewer guidelines it might need to be checked out fast.

I think that note then goes to the owner and the reviewers.

5) Needs Maintenance

b, ?

Anything that needs the owner to take action - could be a full log, a succession of DNFs, a cache that's been pushed too far into a hole to retrieve. I left a Needs Maintenance log on a cache I'd found but fumbled when I was startled by a muggle, with the result I dropped it somewhere between a street junction box and a wall and couldn't retrieve it.

Needs Maintenance lets the cache owner know they need to take action and also puts the Needs Maintenance attribute on a cache, so other cachers can see that there might be a problem with it.

4) Needs Archived Let others use it. It's too extreme IMHO

a, ?

b, ?

not the best advise, what if everyone does the same and lets it up to someone else to post a NA log?...passing the buck never solves anything

If everyone "passes the buck" (?) then the outcome is the same.

No "needs archiving" logs will be posted.

That was my point.

:)

This covers 4 & 5 in reverse order, and has been posted before. So some people will already have read it, it's based on a mixture of the Guidelines and Personal Experience, but above all it's based on Common Sense, and the correct way to escalate a warning/advisory to the cache owner.

Above all it's not being the CACHE POLICE, but the community benefiting other community members

[i recently had a email in reply to a standard query on a cache submission, in regards to the container possibly being in a Dry Stone Wall. Which claimed that there was 10/12 other caches in the area in them. On being asked to provide the GC Codes, so that they could be properly actioned. The reply was "I'm not being the CACHE POLICE and naming them". So possibly there are caches active, which risk causing a Landowner thousands of pounds worth of damage, and giving our hobby a negative image to Landowners. All because of the perception a large number in this community have over NM & NA logs. A perception which needs changing]

Warning system to owners :wub: .

5: A Needs Maintenance Visit log should flag up to a owner that there is a issue that needs quickly seeing to. It should be considered a Yellow Card :D as Reviewers aren't copied the log.

4: Needs Archiving [sBA (the wording has been changed)] this should be considered a Red Card Final Warning by cache owners, as Reviewers are copied in on this Log Type. Owners who have not logged in for a extended period can reasonably expect to have it Archived Immediately on the Grounds that it has been Abandoned. In other cases it's on a case by case basis. I've seen NA logs made by mistake :wub:, and not always by new cachers :wub:

If your aware of a cache with Issues, which you do not fell needs a Needs Archiving Log being immediately made to it should receive a Needs Maintenance log. If after 4 weeks the owner has not actioned the log, then post a Needs Archiving log. The owner can't complain that they haven't received fair warning.

If your aware of issues with a cache ie: Multiple DNF's, extended Disabled without good reason. Needs Maintenance ignored. But do not wish to post a needs Maintenance or Needs Archiving log, please feel free to contact me or my colleagues directly. We [well i] won't shout or bite :(

Both the Needs Maintenance and Needs Archiving log types are for Members to flag up issues with other members caches to the owners. and in the case of Needs Archiving to Reviewers as well.

Removal of Needs Maintenance Icons, the cache owner has to post a Owner Maintenance log. This log type should only be used after the owner has physically visited the cache location, maintained the cache and enabled it if needed. The use of this log type for any other purpose should be flagged back up with another Needs Maintenance log or by contacting one of the Reviewers. The Needs Maintenance Icon can not be removed by deleting the NM log [something I've seen happen to hide the fact that the cache needed urgent maintenance] , if you make a NM log and the cache owner deletes it without Maintaining the cache. Please post a Needs Archiving log or again make direct contact with a Reviewer.

As I have stated the above is a mixture of the Guidelines and personal experience, but above all it's based on common sense :)

At the end of the day the Reviewers do not wish to have to get involved because a Cache Owner fails to maintain their cache. As that is a negative side of this hobby. Ideally we'd like to never deal with non maintained caches, due to the Community flagging issues up to the CO, and the CO actioning that issue. But we don't live in a perfect world, which is why we have the Needs Archive log type. But if both log types are consistently and properly used by the community, who don't take the attitude it's being the Cache Police or I'll leave it to someone else. Then the number of unmaintained caches, will dwindle and the enjoyment of the community will rise.

Deci