How do you take accurate coordinates for your hides?

Mosaic55

The caches around here that I found recently all seem to have super accurate coordinates. (easy to zero in on with GPS and they check out very close in Google maps.) So I feel under some pressure to do a good job on setting coordinates for my first hide.

I set out my container last week and tried to get coordinates, but when I returned a couple days later to check I was 20 feet off at least. I was probably too impatient when I took the coordinates the first time due to cold and wind. I'm going back to try again and want to do it right this time. (It's a bit warmer)

I read something on some web site about letting the GPS "settle" but that didn't make sense to me, if I look at the GPS track, it doesn't settle, it wanders.

I let the unit average the coordinates. If your GPS can't do that, let a software like ExpertGPS do it.

Next thing, I confirm my gathered coordinates with google maps or google earth if possible. I tend to rely on the maps than on my 60 CSx.

20 feet accuracy is the most you can achieve with a consumer GPSr.

GermanSailor

I don't see any "average" function on my Explorist 210. Have I missed it?

Anyway, I usually use my Palm Treo and bluetooth GPS when finding. I tried the average function in the Cetus software on the Palm but I didn't let it sit very long.

How long do you let your GPS average?

I leave my 76CSx rest for at least 5 minutes. I then take a series (5) of averaged readings, I then look at them on the map. If one is really out, I throw it away and take another reading. I then come back a second day and do the same thing. I then average the 10 readings for my final reading. I don't get complains about bad co-ordinates.

Using my 60csx, I take three readings on three different days. I mark the cache site once, then walk off 50 feet or so and approach from a different direction and do it again from another direction.

I then average the three readings taken each day and then average the three days averages.

I then go try out my averages and if all is well, the cache gets placed.

I think I do a variation on the 'averaging' function on the GPS. I put my GPS at my cache and write down the coords. Then I walk away and walk back to the cache and write the coords. Then I walk away in a different direction and come back and write the coords again. I do this about 8 or 9 times and then average the results to get the coords I post. This method has worked perfectly for me. I'm proud to say that the only time people mention coords in their logs on my caches is to tell me that the coords were right on. :rolleyes:

I don't see any "average" function on my Explorist 210. Have I missed it?

Anyway, I usually use my Palm Treo and bluetooth GPS when finding. I tried the average function in the Cetus software on the Palm but I didn't let it sit very long.

How long do you let your GPS average?

I used to have an Explorist 300 and there is no function to average. What I did then with my old one was to take a reading and walk off 50-75 ft and approach it from different directions to make sure it was accurate.

I usually take my best guess and then wait for cachers with better GPS units to post their coordinates. After a few other cachers post their coordinates I go out with my iphone and check the coordinates again. Then I look at Google and see what it shows for the coordinates. I may change the posted coordinates if I think it will help people find the cache faster. Sometimes I confirm the coordinates with my Nuvi just to make sure they are good. Hope this helps! :D

The reality for me is that I visit the site several times at different times of day. I take several readings each visit by walking away and returning to GZ. I will also set the GPS down and let it average away for 10 minutes or so. I find it very interesting that the coordinates I get when I first walk up to a site are usually very, very close to the final ones I use.