If you have an event and no one shows up...

SSO JOAT

Just a topic for ya'll to chew on a little bit. GS has already stated that an event consists of at least 2 cachers meeting at a physical location.

So, let's say you publish and host an event but no one else shows up. So you only had 1 cacher at the location. Do you get to go home and log an "attended event" log? Or does it not even count as an event because no one else arrived to make it "at least 2 cachers"?

....nevermind, it didn't answer the question.

I think the point of the guideline is to ensure the event is open to others and not just a silly time-waster for the reviewers. The fact that no one chose to attend doesn't invalidate the approval.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I have only seen this happen once. It was a CITO Event. The cache owner did the CITO, went home and logged the event as 'attended'. I do not think that GC retracts the event if no one else show up.

yeah, for CITO especially, why not give the cacher some credit it they did their part to make the event and followed through by cleaning up.

I would like to hold CITO events in the neighborhood of our oldest caches as they turn 10 years old. If I'm the only one that shows up, and cleans, at least I'll get/should get a CITO smiley for my efforts.

In answering the OP, I think we are all presuming good intentions. The event was made in such a way to encourage attendance.

I wonder if there has ever been an event published that seemed to almost discourage attendance, or at least make it extremely challenging? Would an Admin even publish an event that takes place at 3am on a schoolnight, or takes place in the middle of the ocean?

I have seen this twice. Once a CITO (posted right at 14 days before the event, in direct conflict with the area's big annual event - and really badly written..) He was the only attendee. He posted a disappointed note. He could have logged an "attended" but did not.

The other was a meet and greet, only the host showed up; he did log an attended.

There's nothing in the listing guidelines that specifies the number of attendees, he posted the event with the expectation that somebody (several somebodies) would attend. He was wrong, but that's no reason to archive the event.

Some event hosts log attended on their events, some don't.

If no one shows up for your event I think you have bigger questions to ask yourself than if you can log it.

I'm not sure but I think this question has come up before.

I don't know that it's come up, but I can remember seeing one or two real old events from 2002 or so where no one but the host showed up. And I can also remember some 25 mile bike ride event in the midwest last year where they weren't sure if anyone was going to show. Not sure how that one turned out.

Keeping in mind the OP is from Alaska (I didn't look to see where exactly), I guess a posted event is a posted event.

So, let's say you publish and host an event but no one else shows up. So you only had 1 cacher at the location. Do you get to go home and log an "attended event" log? Or does it not even count as an event because no one else arrived to make it "at least 2 cachers"?

No, I don't usually post Attends on Events that I Host.

Yes, it's still an Event.

I can only recall one CITO Event that only ended up having the Host and one other participant. They still had a great time, so no harm, no foul IMO :unsure:

Why wouldn't the host post an attended log? If you were there, you attended.

Are the rules different if the OP is from Alaska? Just curious why that came up.

My point in bringing this up is that I don't think the GS position that says an event is a gathering of 2 or more is a perfect fit.

And it did just happen up this way. Event was published by a sock puppet organization, but only 1 person showed up. They posted a will attend in advance and posted the attended log after the event was over. From my perspective, everyone did what is required of them, yet it "technically" doesn't meet the GS definition of an event. Thus I think the 2 or more ruling has a flaw in it, even if it only warrants an exception clause.

Are the rules different if the OP is from Alaska? Just curious why that came up.

My point in bringing this up is that I don't think the GS position that says an event is a gathering of 2 or more is a perfect fit.

And it did just happen up this way. Event was published by a sock puppet organization, but only 1 person showed up. They posted a will attend in advance and posted the attended log after the event was over. From my perspective, everyone did what is required of them, yet it "technically" doesn't meet the GS definition of an event. Thus I think the 2 or more ruling has a flaw in it, even if it only warrants an exception clause.

Do you know for a fact that no one else attended?

There is a growing number of cachers who do not log their finds/attends.

Yes, they are. This is because everyone hates your State because of Sarah Palin.

OK, I'm just kidding. That was me, and I figured it would be understood that I meant that with Alaska being the least populuous State in America, that a 1 person event would be more likely to happen there.

Yes, most people attend events they host, and I agree with your logic. I am surprised when it comes up in this forum the number of people who say they don't (or wouldn't) attend an event they hosted, but my observation over the last 6.5 years is that most hosts do.

Palmetto (Post 6) is a reviewer, and says there's nothing in the guidelines. Where are you seeing this "2 person" definition?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Well, grizzly bears don't typically bother to log their finds online, and everybody knows that nobody really lives in Alaska. Global warming has melted all our igloos and even the dog teams prefer living in the Canadian prairies these days. As such, we're lucky that the Lilypad even allows us to post events.

I know for a fact that only one person attended a particular event. We were teleconferenced together and only 1 person showed up to 1 of the 4 simultaneous event sites. Prior to these teleconference linked events, we were told by GS HQ that an event is "a gathering of at least 2 cachers". I don't know if it is written in the guidelines somewhere, but it came from the head shed when asked about the event setup before hand.

Hosts most certainly can log their own events. There is no similarity to finding your own cache. Events are not "hidden containers", they are meetings of people. Either you were there, or you weren't. You don't "find" an event, you "attend". Check Websters for the stark difference.

Alaska is not the least populous state. That honor goes to Wyoming. Did you know that if we cut Alaska in half, then Texas would be the third largest state? And we are not an island off the coast of California either. I'm just sayin'. ;-)

Just a topic for ya'll to chew on a little bit. GS has already stated that an event consists of at least 2 cachers meeting at a physical location.

Why would it matter if they logged it or not? And who would stop them?

I think a much bigger concern would be as to why nobody showed up. :surprise:

That's a good question and one that will have to be worked on before the next one to try and get the word out to the public that an event is taking place. I suppose that is simply a danger in having an event in a very small town during the winter. What more can you do? Event published. One showed. The event still happened and that 1 person still attended. Doesn't seem to be a problem, does it? (which is the whole point... it didn't take 2 to make that event happen)

Well, grizzly bears don't typically bother to log their finds online, and everybody knows that nobody really lives in Alaska. DOG GONE IT Global warming has melted all our igloos and even the dog teams prefer living in the Canadian prairies these days. DON'TCHA KNOW As such, we're lucky that the Lilypad even allows us to post events. YOU BETCHA

Man, you Alaskan's sure are sensitive. Don't worry, I added Palinism's after every sentence, and it immediately become comedic. :surprise:

Sorry, Alaska did indeed blow away Wyoming to become the 49th most populous State. You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty old. OK, I'm done now.

That's a good question and one that will have to be worked on before the next one to try and get the word out to the public that an event is taking place. I suppose that is simply a danger in having an event in a very small town during the winter. What more can you do? Event published. One showed. The event still happened and that 1 person still attended. Doesn't seem to be a problem, does it? (which is the whole point... it didn't take 2 to make that event happen)

Aside from the Northwest forum, is there a separate GeoCachers of Alaska kinda ~ sorta forum you can post your event to? Publicity is everything with events, as lots of geocachers love to attend events, even if to compare tales of extreme polar bear escapeness.

I know for a fact that only one person attended a particular event. We were teleconferenced together and only 1 person showed up to 1 of the 4 simultaneous event sites. Prior to these teleconference linked events, we were told by GS HQ that an event is "a gathering of at least 2 cachers". I don't know if it is written in the guidelines somewhere, but it came from the head shed when asked about the event setup before hand.

Could the issue have come out because of the "teleconferencing". I read that as TPTB trying to make sure that geocachers jumping on a webcam chat wouldn't be considered an event to be listed on the site.

And we Texans fail to recognize Alaska as a state anyway. You're just some foreign land that pretends to be bigger than our great state. :surprise:

There's already a mechanism in place to specify the size of an event cache--use the cache size field. Here is a rule I use:

Micro: Less than 20 people show up

Small: 20 or more but less than 100

Regular: 100 or more but less than 500

Large: 500 or more (a mega-event)

Other: You want the turnout to surprise you

Not chosen: You don't care how many

Edited by DENelson83