Missing "private" tracking number

amids

I recently found a nice coin and took it with me. When I tried do log my find, I got the following message next to the "Travel Bug Tracking #" entry field: "The number you entered is the public reference number for this trackable item. Please enter the private tracking number located on the trackable itself in order to post a log."

The problem is: I can't find any other number on the coin. All I can see is a code that starts with "TB", which can be found both on the coin itself and on the packaging. I already contacted the owner of the coin, and he assured me that he has no other code for this coin either. The last "retrieve" log for this coin is almost 5 months old. Obviously it worked back then. Is it possible that somebody changed something regarding this coin in the GC database?

What can I do to make this coin "work" again and to log it properly?

Thanks for any help

amids

interesting, i've never seen an actual tracking number that starts with TB, but i assume it's possible that there is a tracking number like that. maybe some of the website code on the gc.com site changed to reject codes starting with TB right away, even though they may be valid? but this is a pure shot in the dark.

Then are you using this number? TB323EY This is the public reference number and will be totally different from the tracking number stamped into the coin. But you already know this as you have logged moved a couple of dozen geocoins in your caching career.

Edited by Droo

there's gotta be some other number. ask the owner again, ask them to go to the coin's profile page and look on the righthand side of the screen. in the menu ("Trackable Item Options") they will see the tracking number just above the "Actions" menu.

Well the one mistake in your opening post refers to the trackable owner. ALL trackable owners are able to see the actual private tracking number, when they are on the trackable items page. On the upper left side of the trackable items page under the icon and the owner's caching name, is a sentence that says "Use TBXXXXX to reference this item". That's the TB number you have, and the owner is referring to. However, on the upper right side of the page, below the "Trackable Item Options" box, and right above the "Actions" box with the drop down menu is a box that says "Tracking Number: XXXXXX"

The owner needs to give you that number, and you can log away. It is however, quite perplexing that you are unable to find the actual tracking code on the item. Did you check the outside edge?

TMA

Wow! I didn't expect to get so many valuable replies in such a short time. Thanks!

It is however, quite perplexing that you are unable to find the actual tracking code on the item. Did you check the outside edge?

I did. That's where I found the TB number. However, it's not engraved in the coin but rather written with a pen.

If it is nanocoin TB323EY the trackingnumber should start with CH and be on the magnetic bottomside of the coin. I looked at it on the webpage. http://www.ingwer.ch/geo/coins/switzerland...stria_nano.html

Yes, that's it. At least, that's the external tracking ID i'm talking about. However, the object I've found has not much to do with the images on the web site:

Foto-0169-new.jpg

I guess, somebody has replaced the actual geocoin with a gadget that was maybe shipped together with the coin(s). This object is not magnetic and has no other number on it. And it's definitely not "nano".

Looks as if I have to contact the owner again. And maybe also the previous finder.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

Edited by amids

Are you sure it's the coin and not an imatation? From what I understand some people make a really good fake using a good printer and a washer. I've never seen one, but I was reading a thread and a few people said they couldn't tell until they looked closely. Just wondering if someone did that and put the wrong number. All my other thoughts, edge of the coin etc. were already given. Good Luck.

It's supposed to look like this:

b2cea282-1589-4dcd-8f7a-b224b98ce289.jpg

It's called the Switzerland Nano Geocoin, produced by geoCOINshop.de. They don't have any for sale and I can't find them on the site, but I found others and took that photo from another coin's page. It looks like someone has switched it out, thinking people could log it with the TB#, but nope, you can't log it with that number. You need to contact the owner. It's only been logged once before you, maybe the owner sent it out as a proxy, wanting to hold onto the original, and put the wrong number on it? Contact prunel and ask. He/she owns three of those, but nobody has posted photos of them on their pages yet.

Edited by Eartha

Well, what I found here is definitely not a real nano geocoin. But it has a number on it which is at least a valid publick tracking number. And with this public number, I find a page where I can trace its path from the owner via another finder to the cache in which I found it. Maybe it's some kind of replacement for a lost geocoin?

I just wrote a message to the owner. Let's see what he can tell me about it.