paperless caching

Hello to everyone in the group:

I am looking for suggestions on new hardware and software for paperless Geocaching.

I have been using a Palm PDA but it is getting old (battery life, sync problems with Vista). It is too bad palm has stopped making palms that are not also phones. I am not interested in getting a device that is a phone; I do not want to be paying $30 plus a month just to get access to Geochaching.com while I am in the field.

So help me! What are you doing for paperless caching?

Thanks in advance

Jay of team GOT BearSoup

I am not interested in getting a device that is a phone;

to get access to Geochaching.com while I am in the field.

So help me! What are you doing for paperless caching?

Can't really recommend, or not recommend, right now, but I've got an X50V Dell PDA coming. In fact, it "might" be here today. Hear that UPS????? But it's color, wifi, etc. among some other things. The color and wifi were two of the main draws for me. Not the only ones, but good ones. I'll be learning how to use it and how well it performs. From what I've read, it should do a good job. Plenty of them available on Ebay in the mid 60-70 dollar range with an occasional high 50 sale.

Yeah it seems "just PDA's" are no longer being made :wub: at least not ones that don't include a phone..

What app are you using on the Palm for paperless caching. I have a T/X and would really like this option. Ink is so expensive.

I'm not sure which one he's referring to, but Cachemate works awesome on Palm PDA's. Check it out at www.smittyware.com it's free to test drive :grin:

verdejt09, your best choice for paperless caching nowdays is to get a GPSr that can do that for you all by itself! Units such as Garmin Dakota/Oregon/Colorado, Delorm PN-xx, Lowrance Endura all work great.

Check around this forum for details :grin:

Magellan is reintroducing the eXplorist with paperless in mind. I found it a breeze to load GPX files. Plugging it into my PC it was recognized as a drive. I simply dragged and dropped the GPX into a folder. The cache info even some logs right at my finger tips.

There will be full details of this eXplorist released on the 22nd.

leatherman is right, the new Magellan looks interesting. Drag and drop a .gpx file straight to the geocaching file. Nice is that you can have multiple .gpx files and it will read them all, you do not have to select which file to have as active. All information is available - description, hints, and logs. Will hold 10,000 caches. Keep an eye out for more information Mar 22.

I have a Palm Treo 650. Yes it is a phone, but I have not signed up with Verizon. No monthly fees. Got it off ebay cheap, spare battery too. I don't know if it will work with Vista. Bright color, can read in the sunlight. As an extra bonus, because it is a phone, it will make calls to 911. I tested it but hope I never need it. Cachemate should work with it, but I like the Plucker / Sunrise input solution better.

Well first I would like to thank those of you who responded to my question of paperless caching and not spending the money on a phone.

I did spend my money of a Oregon 450. It fits the bill well. We went caching this weekend, it was nice to have the cache information at hand for all the caches in the area. Once found and logged as found it was a simple task of downloading our finds to the web site to log them.

So now instead of looking up the cache on my palm PDA and correlating it with the GPS, it is a quick matter to find the cache on the GPSr, find the description and the hint it needed and then log it.

the Oregon 450 does have some pros and cons

It will handle 200 .gpx files or 2000 geocache: The is both a pro and con it holds more than the GPSmap 60. It would be nice if it held more

Con: the battery life is about 8 hours with NiMh rechargeable with using the backlight a lot. My 60 went double that.

Con: The clip for either the strap or the button need to be removed when changing the batteries.

Pro: Did I mention the paperless caching functions.

and just so the readers know, I did look at the other GPSr, like the Delorme, Lowrance, and the Magellan. But I have always like the way Garmin has written there software and their pages. I guess that I am a Garmin man.

So once more thanks to those of you that contributed to my education and decision. I can recommend the Oregon.

I have also quit using my Palm Tungsten E for all functions.

Thanks

Jay of team Got BearSoup

I'm using a Nautiz X7 made by "The Handheld Group". It's their variation of the Getac PS236, and you can get it without the phone function.

It a Windows Mobile unit, has a SirfStar III, have IP67 intrusion protection, are MIL-STD 810F tested on all applicable metods and a comes with a huge battery.

I have GCzII, Cachebox and OpenStreetMap installed in it.

It´s very nice, but way expensive. I think it´s like 1800 USD / 12000 swedish kronor (+ 20% tax here). My personal economy can´t handle that sum, but I use it in my work and have it available 24/7.

Edited by The Kamikaze Clan