First cache...didn't find it...

jkhashab

Well, I headed out today after work with the gang in tow and decided to hit a cache nearby that was located at a strip mall...I"m familiar with the area and used all possible hints. Well, getting there, the GPS was right on. I enabled WAAS and when I got to the general area, we were able to walk within 1.2 FEET of the cache. We were in an urban location with no obstructions and few possible hiding spots and we found nothing. I tell you, I checked under every seat and table in the place and then even went on to the lampposts (even though my GPS told me I was getting farther away at that point). I guess my question is, can the GPS be off that close even when it was right on getting there? And if not, then how do we know if a cache is still there and hasn't been muggled? According to the logs, it was last found (twice) on March 7th. My girls were so disappointed...as was I. Help!

Janet :wub:

the GPS can be off by few meters, also depends how accurate the coordinates are

there is no way to know if the cache is still there, although since the last find its been about a week and anything can happen, a cache can be gone in any short span

best way to go is to log a DNF and explain how long it took you to search and that you looked everywhere and have a suspicion that it might be missing

than you can put it on the watchlist and see what happens next, with a cache on a watchlist you will receive an e-mail of any logs on that cache

don;t be disappointed, it happens to everyone, there's plenty more caches for you to find

Have Fun!!!!

In all honesty, you can count on your GPSr to get you within 30 to 50 feet of the Real place you need to be. There are just too many variables involved with the GPS technology we use in this game, one of which you did mention. Overhead Sky conditions.

Other variables include GPS brand differences and the alignment of the satellites during the day when they are in use. In other words, you have GPS brand A, and the person who hid the cache has GPS brand B. The hider may have hidden the cache at 8:00 PM, and you might be looking for it at 8:00 AM.

When each given GPSr could have an accuracy rating at the time of say... 15 to 25 feet? If you combine the numbers together, you could really be off by 30 to 50 feet. Sometimes even more.

Make sense? It really is all in the variables, and GPS is NOT dead on accurate yet. I'm not sure that it ever can be really, cause we only have 12 or 24 satellites in the sky and there at least 4 Major brands out there who make GPS units, each with there own proprietary programing being used.

I hope that helps, and I encourage you to not give up just yet. It take practice, that's for sure. Welcome to Geocaching, and Have Fun with it!! :wub:

Make sense? It really is all in the variables, and GPS is NOT dead on accurate yet. I'm not sure that it ever can be really, cause we only have 12 or 24 satellites in the sky and there at least 4 Major brands out there who make GPS units, each with there own proprietary programing being used.

commercial grade GPS systems can be, such as starfire. but for that to be really useful, both the hider and the seeker would have to use that. not that i would find geocaching very challenging if i had accuracy readings of less than 10 cm.

commercial grade GPS systems can be, such as starfire. but for that to be really useful, both the hider and the seeker would have to use that. not that i would find geocaching very challenging if i had accuracy readings of less than 10 cm.

I'll agree. If the GPS I got at WalMart took me straight to each and every cache dead on accurately, I would likely loose interest in the hunt. The failures can be a bit frustrating at times, but the Finds are then that much more rewarding! :wub:

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

Adding to the other responses...

When you do get to that magical Ground Zero (20 +/- feet), put the GPSr away because it can, as you already have discovered) lead you astray. Once there, you have to hunt the cache. Think like a hider -- "Now just where would I hide it"!

Try to avoid going after the tiny ones for a while, go after small and larger to hone your skills.

Enjoy :wub:

Hi Janet, Don't be discouraged. You'll find some eventually. I went out for the first time last weekend with my daughter. We had 5 cashes selected that were not far from the house. Two are not there anymore. Two more we couldn't find. We finally got one on the fifth and final try of the day. Despite our poor track record and the cold/rain, my daughter and I had a great time. We'll be back out this weekend for sure.

The advice of looking for bigger (non-micro) caches is great advice. All the ones we looked for were micros. One that we missed is a magnet on a pole. These are much harder to find. Going with something easier is great advice.

You'll be amazed each time you go out how much better you get. I just went back to find one that we DNF on one of our first trips. I laughed out loud as it was so easy the second time. Each trip you'll learn more what to look for and how to pretty much move everything around. Like everyone else said...look for the bigger ones. We spent 45 minutes looking for our first NANO and it wasn't fun but frustrating. Now NANO's are a lot easier. Have fun and keep trying!!