Gps the movie box found

I found a box promoting gps the movie, The box had no signatures in the logbook, so I was like Sweet FTF!, but then I realized everything in the box looked like the cache had been out here for a couple years. So, I took the box, the website said there weren't any live boxes in my state anyways and now I'm wondering,

What should I do with the box?put it back?

Since when has there been a GPS the movie and is it any good?

I was thinking about using the boxes hiding spot for a cache would that be cool?

My first thought was 'put it back' since not all caches are listed on geocaching.com. But then, if it's really been there for a couple of years, and never been found, maybe it's not listed anywhere at all. Maybe someone placed it, but the reviewers denied it because of the commercial nature of the cache, and it became geo litter.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying "I don't know."

Don't know where you are or how it might have got there, but the Galaxy/Splinterhead cache went missing and was replaced. May not be any connection or some goofball may have thought that was how you play... take the whole cache and hide it somewhere else!!! ;) May have been from a similar previous publicity stunt like the Splinterhead deal.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

there is a movie called G.P.S. that came out in 2007, i have never seen it or know what its about to much though. you can see the trailer here though,

or google GPS the movie

though it doesn't look like one i would go see, but that's just me.

Looks like it is a true gps-caching movie.

Chances are the box that is found has something to do with some official caching but isn't listed on geocaching.com or terracaching.com.

I would put it back. But that's just how I roll....

its a tupperware , might have been a school pencilbox or something. square about 6 by 6 inches. Doesn't even lock and lock. and it was also in a black garbage bag when i found it hidden in a hollow tree with a squirrels nest on top of it. The squirrel was pretty pissed lol

I found a box promoting gps the movie, The box had no signatures in the logbook, so I was like Sweet FTF!, but then I realized everything in the box looked like the cache had been out here for a couple years. So, I took the box, the website said there weren't any live boxes in my state anyways and now I'm wondering,

I was thinking about using the boxes hiding spot for a cache would that be cool?

I would put it back and have it listed on this site with an inventory of the original contents on the page. It sounds interesting.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I would put it back and have it listed on this site with an inventory of the original contents on the page. It sounds interesting.

Yeah, me too. Well, I'd try to contact the makers of the film first, and get their blessing. There is a contact link on their website, www.gpsthemovie.com Assuming of course they still bother with their website, and see your inquiry. This was an extremely low budget indie film. Makes Splinterheads look like a top grossing major motion picture by comparison. ;)

I like this idea too.

In the cache description, I'd tell the story about how you found it and such and see if anyone in the future can solve the mystery.

I like this idea too.

In the cache description, I'd tell the story about how you found it and such and see if anyone in the future can solve the mystery.

but what if the reason it was never listed as a cache was because of its commercial nature? Could I still use it as part of my cache?

These "treasure boxes," which are not listed on this site, were placed in fall 2008 to promote "GPS The Movie," as TWU noted. Most were rarely, if ever, found, and were forgotten as quickly as the movie.

I discovered this when one was placed within 10 feet of this cache and people started finding it while looking for mine.

The rogue boxes were listed on www.gpsthegame.com. The one near my cache was quickly abandoned and deteriorated to a rotting mess. Notes on that site and to the owner yielded no action, so a group of cachers recently CITO'd the geotrash.

I like this idea too.

but what if the reason it was never listed as a cache was because of its commercial nature? Could I still use it as part of my cache?

Try it and then let the reviewer decide.

If you say the movies name to describe your experience or the reason for the cache I'd think it would be fine.

If your write: "This cache is for GPS The Movie. Go rent or buy it now!" It would be commercial.

These "treasure boxes," which are not listed on this site, were placed in fall 2008 to promote "GPS The Movie," as TWU noted. Most were rarely, if ever, found, and were forgotten as quickly as the movie.

I discovered this when one was placed within 10 feet of this cache and people started finding it while looking for mine.

The rogue boxes were listed on www.gpsthegame.com. The one near my cache was quickly abandoned and deteriorated to a rotting mess. Notes on that site and to the owner yielded no action, so a group of cachers recently CITO'd the geotrash.

Oh well theres your answer. I'd trash the litter.

I think I'd still try to get this thing listed!! Hopefully the movie maker will answer. It's a small indie film, I'm sure it's just one guy. If he doesn't answer from the website, just try hunting him down on the Internet. His name is at the bottom of the gps the movie website.

This reminds me of one of the many "found a cache not listed on Geocaching.com" threads. I don't know how it was solved, but it eventually turned out it was one of a series of caches you could only find the coordinates for by buying a Canadian Country and Western band's CD.

If your write: "This cache is for GPS The Movie. Go rent or buy it now!" It would be commercial.

You would think so.

My wife placed a cache at the cemetery where her grandpa is. In the description she mentioned a few memories of her grandpa but she couldn't use the words Filet-o-fish or Snapple despite those being the crux of her memories.

You would think so.

My wife placed a cache at the cemetery where her grandpa is. In the description she mentioned a few memories of her grandpa but she couldn't use the words Filet-o-fish or Snapple despite those being the crux of her memories.

And I thought you were going to tell us where we could see GPS The Movie for free on the internet!!! ;)

Not to make light of your post, that kinda sucks.

And I thought you were going to tell us where we could see GPS The Movie for free on the internet!!! :anicute:

You got a link? B) It's harder to find obscure items like that. At least Splinterheads had some famous actors in it.

*edit to add. Funny! I found it on TPB. It claims 3 seeders. If that's true I'm surprised considering the obscurity and the age.

Edited by Knight2000