GeoTourism Data For Mega Events Like GeoWoostock

Snoogans

Face it. We are an economic force and we neeeeed to have hard data to throw in the face of government and local organizations that seek to ban geocaching as well as to use as leverage in getting sponsorship for future Mega Events.....

I tried to post a poll/survey here last year and it was deleted and I get why, but no one but me seems to notice the need to show proof that we generate a great deal of cash for communities where Mega events are held which can be used to measure the impact of daily caching activities....

Anyone have any ideas about how to get this done? Is anyone even interested?

Set up your own survey, elsewhere, and ask people that attended to X event to take the survey.

I was thinking along the lines of an official database sanctioned by Groundspeak and adopted by the large regional groups..... Rather than one interested party.... I'd be happy to help, but one person (even a fun guy like me) can't motivate the numbers needed to participate.

Seriously, does anyone see the need for this besides me??? :P

Set up your own survey, elsewhere, and ask people that attended to X event to take the survey.

I was thinking along the lines of an official database sanctioned by Groundspeak and adopted by the large regional groups..... Rather than one interested party.... I'd be happy to help, but one person (even a fun guy like me) can't motivate the numbers needed to participate.

Well if you tried to do a poll before and it was deleted then apprently Groundspeak doesn't see the need.

What I was thinking was more along the lines of you get some tourism board in a larger city to sponsor the survery. You know a place that would might benefit if a mega came there. The city gets to realize they could get some people there spending that would spend on average $$ per person. And since it was run by an offical city group it may actually have some weight with other similar cities.

Well if you tried to do a poll before and it was deleted then apprently Groundspeak doesn't see the need.

What I was thinking was more along the lines of you get some tourism board in a larger city to sponsor the survery. You know a place that would might benefit if a mega came there. The city gets to realize they could get some people there spending that would spend on average $$ per person. And since it was run by an offical city group it may actually have some weight with other similar cities.

Short of getting them to do it, maybe a college could do it? Don't they have students do projects like that?

I agree that this is worthy data to collect. But I disagree that the forums are the proper venue for this project. I would share your thoughts with the GW8 organizers and get them to have the local CVB handle this. Perhaps an intern or grad student can make it a viable project.

Why? Because the percentage of geocachers, let alone mega event attendees, who participate in forum discussions is such a small sample of the population that the stats will insignificant and quite likely inaccurate.

I agree that this is worthy data to collect. But I disagree that the forums are the proper venue for this project. I would share your thoughts with the GW8 organizers and get them to have the local CVB handle this. Perhaps an intern or grad student can make it a viable project.

Why? Because the percentage of geocachers, let alone mega event attendees, who participate in forum discussions is such a small sample of the population that the stats will insignificant and quite likely inaccurate.

True, but this is a good place to discuss ideas on how to get it done.

Forget mega events.

Around here - even a small event generates some local monies.

Our last local event brought in just 8 caching groups but most were from out -of town. So we all spent money on Gas, the meal at the restaurant and a little shopping while we were in the 'big' city.

SurveyMonkey.com will host a free online survey for anyone who wants one.

If you're hosting an event, you could hand out cards with the web address of your survey. Or you could collect email addresses from the event attendees, and send them an email asking them to complete the survey.

My job is in market research, so if you need help writing the survey questions just let me know.

I would think it wouldn't be worth the trouble for a small local event. But for any event that has a significant number of people coming from out of town, it would be interesting to know how far people traveled and how much they spent.

I would expect a survey to be viewed (and possibly rightfully so) with a huge amount of skepticism by the people that the survey was supposedly done for. You would be polling a group that wants the numbers to look good, and there would be little or control. What you need (and I have no idea of how to go about this) is some way to have an audit trail.

This might mean some means of funnelling the money through a single account? Selling tickets that can be used as cache, perhaps? A website that is used to make reservations for motels and campgrounds? Lame ideas, perhaps, but trying to bend the thought away from simplistic surveys to something that will carry some weight.

I would expect a survey to be viewed (and possibly rightfully so) with a huge amount of skepticism by the people that the survey was supposedly done for. You would be polling a group that wants the numbers to look good, and there would be little or control. What you need (and I have no idea of how to go about this) is some way to have an audit trail.

This might mean some means of funnelling the money through a single account? Selling tickets that can be used as cache, perhaps? A website that is used to make reservations for motels and campgrounds? Lame ideas, perhaps, but trying to bend the thought away from simplistic surveys to something that will carry some weight.

A great idea, but very impractical. It would take too much support of the type that would be hard to get for free.

Forget mega events.

Around here - even a small event generates some local monies.

Our last local event brought in just 8 caching groups but most were from out -of town. So we all spent money on Gas, the meal at the restaurant and a little shopping while we were in the 'big' city.

Exactly my point, but ya gotta start somewhere and bigger events will show greater economic impact.

Exactly. Again, ya gotta start somewhere.

The Groundspeak weekly newsletter and the regional and local geocaching organizations around the world would be the target to gather the huge amount of information needed.

However, the forums have nudged the rudder of this ship noticeably. Am I wrong in that perception? :P

SurveyMonkey.com will host a free online survey for anyone who wants one.

If you're hosting an event, you could hand out cards with the web address of your survey. Or you could collect email addresses from the event attendees, and send them an email asking them to complete the survey.

My job is in market research, so if you need help writing the survey questions just let me know.

I would think it wouldn't be worth the trouble for a small local event. But for any event that has a significant number of people coming from out of town, it would be interesting to know how far people traveled and how much they spent.

I would consider you a resource. If this goes anywhere (and it hasn't in all the years I've been mentioning it) experience will be needed. I'm an idea guy. I freely admit that I have no idea how to go about this correctly, but I see the extreme need to have this data available in the not too distant future. Right now would be nice for the folks in N.C. :P

how about a survey card in your goodie bag that you pick up when you register at GW? You could have a drop box somewhere on site that the survey cards could be put in by the end of the day or provide a mailing address for those that want to fill it out at a later date. Sounds simple enough, just need to get the local organizers of each GW to help with getting the cards in the bags.

If possible, it would be best to get an average earnings per week for, say, a supermarket that is in the town of the mega-event. Then, get an earnings for the week of the mega-event at the same supermarket. This would show the difference between the purchases of just the locals vs. the locals and cachers combined.

Also, completed surveys at the event could be exchanged for Tb's or coins. The survey could mention:

Male or Female

Which store did you purchase the majority of your items?

Did you purchase just for yourself or for your family/friends?

How far did you travel for the event? (0-100 miles, 101-200 miles, 201-500 miles, 500+ miles)

(and whatever dichotomous, or one answer questions)

All of this information can be put into SPSS (a statistics software program).... and then you can easily find out whatever you want about the information.

Edited by goosefraba1
While it would be nice to have detailed data, I think just knowing how many people attend an event would be sufficient. Most CVBs know what an average tourist spends in their city I would think.
Glad I checked all threads before posting... I was just going to say that!

BTW: Did I really spell "cash" as "cache" in my earlier message? How embarrassing!

While it would be nice to have detailed data, I think just knowing how many people attend an event would be sufficient. Most CVBs know what an average tourist spends in their city I would think.

Sounds plausable.

Geocachers who travel to cache do a great deal more running around to find caches than the average person/visitor I would think. ;)

Sounds plausable.

Geocachers who travel to cache do a great deal more running around to find caches than the average person/visitor I would think. ;)

So the CVB needs to figure out what the trade off is. Geocachers on average spend X more in gas, but Y less time spend in stores compared to average tourist.

Face it. We are an economic force and we neeeeed to have hard data to throw in the face of government and local organizations that seek to ban geocaching as well as to use as leverage in getting sponsorship for future Mega Events.....

I tried to post a poll/survey here last year and it was deleted and I get why, but no one but me seems to notice the need to show proof that we generate a great deal of cash for communities where Mega events are held which can be used to measure the impact of daily caching activities....

Aside from gathering data ourselves, there is another approach to it. Give some information to the merchants etc. that benefit from cachers visits.

Many years back when I was resident in Toronto, our bicycling community (and I assume many others) used inexpensive, self inking and other types, STAMPS. When you made a purchase (assuming you biked to the store) you simply stamped the vendor copy of any bill with your I CAME BY BIKE stamp. IF you didn't have a stamp with you, you could simply write in the same words. Then when a survey was done of the local merchants, THEY could look at their copies and add up the totals. Seemed to work well when we sought better facilities for bike users... Something along that line might work to get the message to the local chamber of commerces. WE ARE HERE TO GEOCACHE. The math would speak volumes in itself.

Now if Geocachers actually spent money, or had it to spend... hmmm

Doug

Aside from gathering data ourselves, there is another approach to it. Give some information to the merchants etc. that benefit from cachers visits.

Many years back when I was resident in Toronto, our bicycling community (and I assume many others) used inexpensive, self inking and other types, STAMPS. When you made a purchase (assuming you biked to the store) you simply stamped the vendor copy of any bill with your I CAME BY BIKE stamp. IF you didn't have a stamp with you, you could simply write in the same words. Then when a survey was done of the local merchants, THEY could look at their copies and add up the totals. Seemed to work well when we sought better facilities for bike users... Something along that line might work to get the message to the local chamber of commerces. WE ARE HERE TO GEOCACHE. The math would speak volumes in itself.

Doug

Now that's just cool. ;):);)

Doug

Now that's just cool. ;):);)

That is a superb idea!! A quantity of self-inking stamps all with the same text probably wouldn't cost all that much (perhaps, if it had the logo, even sponsored by, well... somebody that would serve to benefit by it :) ) and passed out to people as they registered. I love it!

Doug

Now that's just cool. :anicute:B)B)

That is a superb idea!! A quantity of self-inking stamps all with the same text probably wouldn't cost all that much (perhaps, if it had the logo, even sponsored by, well... somebody that would serve to benefit by it B) ) and passed out to people as they registered. I love it!

It worked well, don't know if it is still happening. Regardless, I didn't invent the idea... just mentioned it.

I believe it was one of the Toronto Cycling Committee sub groups in the early 90's. I'll see if I have anything in my 'floppy disc' archives on it, I know the hard drive version just died along with my last 286.

Sigh.

Doug.

Begin with the end in mind....

Once you've collected this data what do younexpect to do with it?

encourage approval for hides on private property?

encourage corporate sponsorship for future events

Encourage online retailers to add geocaching related materials

very different audiences, and I suspect would react differently to the data presentation.

Begin with the end in mind....

Once you've collected this data what do younexpect to do with it?

encourage approval for hides on private property?

encourage corporate sponsorship for future events

Encourage online retailers to add geocaching related materials

very different audiences, and I suspect would react differently to the data presentation.

Snoogans mentioned using data for political purposes - avoiding bans specifically. Also for encouraging sponsorships for events. That would likely be for non-geocaching businesses like restaurants etc.

My comments were based on the TCC of yore, whose project was to encourage people to ride bikes to shop, commute and so forth. They had 'city approved' bike racks available and wanted to encourage store owners to buy into providing one or two that would be available to their customers, just like parking lots and meters on street were for car drivers... an end goal as you mentioned. Result, TO is about as bike friendly as it can be.

Boards of Tourism, Chambers of Commerce etc. all carry considerable political clout in most places. IF they want something reasonable, they usually can get it... thus if they can be convinced that cachers spend money in local businesses, come to an area to cache from outside the locality, then they would probably support caching. Out here, most of the Chambers of Commerce seem to have caches on their premises, often in conjunction with Tourism, and often with local cacheing clubs or individuals... ours here has their own cache and take care of it. When they ask their members for support, something like the marked bills would be handy... Same goes for sponsorships. You can have a hard time ekeing them out of business in the current economy... you have to have a few numbers to offer.

I agree that the mode of presentation will vary depending on who you are going after for support and the reasons.

Now we will wait to hear from Snoogans again for more...

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Has anyone continued any more information on this? Have any of the coin challenges or Mega events performed any surveys regarding demographics and spend for their stay (distance traveled, days in the area, total spend, age range, income/discretionary range, etc)?

I'm specifically interested in economy surveys done around coin challenges or Mega events.

Since the question of what are we expecting has already been brought up, we are hoping to use this information to assist local business/community leaders to participate in sponsoring an event as well as provide it to them to present to local businesses (so they can drum up additional sponsors).

Has anyone continued any more information on this? Have any of the coin challenges or Mega events performed any surveys regarding demographics and spend for their stay (distance traveled, days in the area, total spend, age range, income/discretionary range, etc)?

I'm specifically interested in economy surveys done around coin challenges or Mega events.

Since the question of what are we expecting has already been brought up, we are hoping to use this information to assist local business/community leaders to participate in sponsoring an event as well as provide it to them to present to local businesses (so they can drum up additional sponsors).

Not entirely sure what you mean by coin challenges, but you could contact GeoTour sponsors. All of the GeoTours that I have completed require filling out some kind of passport to get the GeoCoin for participating. All of these have contained some details about how long I stayed in the area, and how far I traveled to get to the area. One of the GeoTours gave points for providing proof of a hotel stay.

GeoTours cost the sponsors money, so they have an incentive to gather these kinds of stats. None of them have asked for the level of details that you outlined in your question. You may want to look at the passports that they have you fill out to get an idea of the information that they are attempting to gather.