Multi-cache Distance Limits

I am planning a multi-cache which will cover a fair part of the county of West Lothian. Not sure of the distances yet, but say there would be 6 or 7 stages within a 10-15mile diameter. If I were to make it a multi, would that be a problem?

The idea came about after hiding a traditional cache at one place of interest, and I finding out there were several other similar places in the county that matched the theme (am I being vague enough?). If I made each stage a traditional hide (lock 'n' lock box or similar), with a code in the logbook or on the inside of the lid, I could then have a bonus cache near the final stage location. Of course, I don't have to have a bonus cache at all, I could just have a few traditional caches linked by the theme.

However, if I do make the bonus cache a multi, it would let me use places where a hide would be impractical. I could still use the location but make the searcher look for a clue, like numbers on a notice board. The other option would be a mixture of traditional caches with codes and some location only stages. Should the bonus cache type be "other" for this scenario?

I am planning a multi-cache which will cover a fair part of the county of West Lothian. Not sure of the distances yet, but say there would be 6 or 7 stages within a 10-15mile diameter. If I were to make it a multi, would that be a problem?

The idea came about after hiding a traditional cache at one place of interest, and I finding out there were several other similar places in the county that matched the theme (am I being vague enough?). If I made each stage a traditional hide (lock 'n' lock box or similar), with a code in the logbook or on the inside of the lid, I could then have a bonus cache near the final stage location. Of course, I don't have to have a bonus cache at all, I could just have a few traditional caches linked by the theme.

However, if I do make the bonus cache a multi, it would let me use places where a hide would be impractical. I could still use the location but make the searcher look for a clue, like numbers on a notice board. The other option would be a mixture of traditional caches with codes and some location only stages. Should the bonus cache type be "other" for this scenario?

There used to be one here that was 40+ miles between stages.

I believe I know exactly what you intend to do and with what you intend to make the series / multi up with. After doing the first cache I was hoping you would make a series of it. It will be interesting to see how they pan out on a map.

If you make the bonus an unknown (?) cache then I believe you don't need to add all the additional waypoints, which are a bit of a pain when they have the same co-ords as regular caches and overlap on the Oregon map. With a multi you must have all the stages listed!

So go for it and I look forward to doing the series.

GCMYD6 encompasses New Zealand!

There are four international multis that all have parts in the same area of Berkshire - two Across the Pond and two Over the Pole. Across the pond has two offset caches between Berks and CT, USA. Over the Pole has two offset caches between Berks and NZ.

All four caches explicitly request that travel bugs aren't logged in to the caches as it plays havoc with the mileage. The first stage is a micro, the second stage is a full-size cache, so if a bug is placed in the full-size cache in Berks the system thinks it has travelled to NZ or CT, and the next person who moves it a mile down the road leaves the system thinking it's come back again.

So it seems to me that you can have as much distance as you want, but it's good to discourage people leaving trackables if the distances are substantial.

Hi all, I'm very new to this

I am planning a similar series with my work that takes me around Lincolnshire, the caches will be very related to my work, several of the places I visit would make excellent & unusual hiding places

Unfortunately I don't know where I will be working from one day to the next, so my question is:-

Is there a time limit between the caches going active ?, I notice that in many of the series all of the caches go active on the same day

Would it be a problem if the caches went active over several weeks

ie: I hide one this week in Cleethorpes, possibly one next week in a village several miles away etc

I am planning 5 caches (logs only) in the series with a bonus at the end, the bonus will be a very unusual container (I'm guessing that nobody will have ever used before) & will be larger with space for swaps etc

Only the first cache will have the full co-ordinates, they will progressivly be more and more digits of the remaining caches co-ords that will be coded and cracking the code will be highly dependant on finding the previous cache/caches

So ideally you would need to find all 5 caches to get to the bonus

Would this be classed as 1 multi + 5 unknowns or 1 traditional + 5 unknowns

Thanks for any help