Placing a cache

I usually go to the GPAA Cripple River gold camp on the Cripple River north of Nome, Alaska in the summer. The camp belongs to the Gold Prospectors America Association. They have mining claims on 15 miles of the Cripple River 12 miles north of Nome. They own the camp at the mouth and control the mining on the rest. The camp it only open six weeks in the summer a year due to the nasty weather conditions in that area.

Yes, you can sightsee, visit and camp in the area but not the camp itself. There are a few caches in the Nome area but none near Cripple River.

When I go this year I would like to place a few caches in the area. I could only maintain them while at the camp in the summer. They would be mainly for the visitors to the camp but available to all who wanted to seek them. The area is not the end of the World but it is the last stop before you arrive there.

My question is "Would the Prime Reviewer" approve and publish these caches? It is a lot of trouble and expense to take the caches containers on the plane all the way to Nome from Texas if they would not be approved.

Thanks

Texas Charles

I usually go to the GPAA Cripple River gold camp on the Cripple River north of Nome, Alaska in the summer. The camp belongs to the Gold Prospectors America Association. They have mining claims on 15 miles of the Cripple River 12 miles north of Nome. They own the camp at the mouth and control the mining on the rest. The camp it only open six weeks in the summer a year due to the nasty weather conditions in that area.

Yes, you can sightsee, visit and camp in the area but not the camp itself. There are a few caches in the Nome area but none near Cripple River.

When I go this year I would like to place a few caches in the area. I could only maintain them while at the camp in the summer. They would be mainly for the visitors to the camp but available to all who wanted to seek them. The area is not the end of the World but it is the last stop before you arrive there.

My question is "Would the Prime Reviewer" approve and publish these caches? It is a lot of trouble and expense to take the caches containers on the plane all the way to Nome from Texas if they would not be approved.

Thanks

Texas Charles

My Guess is no...as you have no way to maintain the cache yourself on a timely basis...

However, if you can contact a local cacher and ask that they assist you with upkeep of the cache...you may be able to get is published...

The best person to actually ask would be the local reviewer up in that area...

Prime Reviewer is the TX reviewer and generally would not be involved with caches in Alaska. The Alaska reviewer however will raise concerns about your ability to maintain the cache year 'round.

If you find a geocacher in the area who is willing to help you maintain the cache when you are home, it will significantly increase the chance of getting it published. Look at some of the cache listings around Nome and you will see who the active cachers in the area are. Perhaps one may agree to help you out.

If you do find somebody, be sure to mention that fact in a "note to reviewer" on the cache submission page so the reviewer knows. You will also want to mention your assistant on the cache page so the locals know who to contact if there are problems

Since they are not accessible year round, and you are there in the time period that they are accessible, you might make a good argument for an exception. I suspect the owners of the caches in the Antarctic don't actually live there either.

I think this is the key here but it would be easy to get this pass any reviewer if you can find ANY local that is willing to take care of necessary maintenance should the need arise.

Since they are not accessible year round, and you are there in the time period that they are accessible, you might make a good argument for an exception. I suspect the owners of the caches in the Antarctic don't actually live there either.

I think this is the key here but it would be easy to get this pass any reviewer if you can find ANY local that is willing to take care of necessary maintenance should the need arise.

Yes. The old "Aunt Edna will maintain the cache" thing. :blink: Happens all the time, although I don't necessarily agree with it. Not that you, or anyone else has an Aunt Edna in Nome. Do the owners of this gold camp live in the area, and could possibly maintain it?

I have been maintaining caches 2,000 miles apart for almost 8 years now.

Believe me, it's doable. YOU however must go the extra mile to prove to the reviewer(s) that you can maintain them whatever that takes.

I have geocaching family members that can help me and in all these years they have only had to go check on a cache for me once. I was verrrry careful in all of my cache placements. The one cache I asked an acqaintance to watch for me got archived. It was on his property and he couldn't be bothered to help even though he ASKED me to place it. :blink:

Rule of thumb for my success: Big cache and big logbook combined with a secure remote location = very little need for maintenance. OR A stupendously AWESOME location with a smaller much, much, harder to find cache. If it merits it, you will get revisits and they will watch your cache like a hawk for you between visits.

Where my locations have been less remote, I have needed to replace log books and pencils every couple years, but that's about it because I chose good hiding spots.

Some of my caches are probably good for the next 100+ years at the rate they're being found, but they are in places I regularly visit anyway. I have a proven track record even without having relatives there.

The reason the camp is only open 6 weeks a years is because of the snow and bad weather. That area only has three seasons. Late Fall, Hard Winter and Early Spring. The Fall and Spring seasons are very short. The area would be snow covered at least 9 months a year and not accessible except by snowmobile.

I would expect vistors only when the Gold Camp was open. I don't expect more than 3 to 5 cachers to find it a year even with directions posted on the Cook House door and a loaner GPS hanging beside them.

It would be a 5/5 cache due to how hard it is to get to the area not because it would be hard to find once you were there.

Thanks for the info.

Texas Charles

Edited by Texas Charles

I have got to admit that I envy you for your trips up there. I got into gold panning & rocking back in the 80s in SW Colorado (not exactly noted for its placer gold) and spent all of my spare time doing it. If I were to be up at your gold camp, I'm afraid that caching would not be on my to-do list at all. Placer gold is a LOT of work, but such a reward when you finally get to see some color in your pan.

It would be a 5/5 cache due to how hard it is to get to the area not because it would be hard to find once you were there.

That would make it a 1/5 or 2/5.

As Briansnat pointed out...

Difficult to Find and Difficult to get to the Area are two different things...just becuase one is a 5, does not mean the other is automatically...

0k i know thta this is his topic and i have lo0k at the ~ report a new Cache and copy it on paper and looking it over before hand,and i like to ask once that a person place's a new cache on his part click on cache type,cache size,cache name,who place it(Relate Web page)(Background Image URL:),coordinates,short description,long description/hints//////tHIS PART HERE→→ Relate Web page)(Background Image URL:),

I dont understand can you help me with it ??

0k i know thta this is his topic and i have lo0k at the ~ report a new Cache and copy it on paper and looking it over before hand,and i like to ask once that a person place's a new cache on his part click on cache type,cache size,cache name,who place it(Relate Web page)(Background Image URL:),coordinates,short description,long description/hints//////tHIS PART HERE→→ Relate Web page)(Background Image URL:),

:)

Wow!! I don't believe you could have made that any harder to read!! After much reading and re-reading, I *think* that I finally understand what you are asking. If your question is, "what are the Related Web Page" and "Background Image URL" for... the answer is don't worry about them. Just ignore them. They are simply options that you probably won't be using anyway.

Wow!! I don't believe you could have made that any harder to read!! After much reading and re-reading, I *think* that I finally understand what you are asking. If your question is, "what are the Related Web Page" and "Background Image URL" for... the answer is don't worry about them. Just ignore them. They are simply options that you probably won't be using anyway.

L0l i can see now what i did so wrong I was multitasking here @w0rk and multitasking here on the forum and everything was running together a little of that into this lol my bad please for give me and thks for ur help :)