Oregon 450 / 550 screen visibility discussion

I have been very well educated on the Oregon series thanks to this forum. I need to replace my etrex vista which perfomed flawlessly on my ATV for the last 7 years. I have my heart set on a Oregon 450. It has everthing I want plus I am familiar with Base Camp, Mapsource and all Garmin software. I really dont want to switch names. My main concern is the visiblilty in the sun. Every review I read on the 550 complains about the sun visiblity. I was told from a Cabelas employee that the 550 is the same as the 450 without the camera. Is this true? I also called Garmin and they said that the 450 has a greatly improved screen. I am torn since the $400 is a hefty price tag. There are not that many detailed reviews of the 450 out there yet. I also have read that using a DC power source (which I can on the ATV) will make the screen brighter. Is this true? Any input and comments would be greratly appreciated. Thanks

I have been very well educated on the Oregon series thanks to this forum. I need to replace my etrex vista which perfomed flawlessly on my ATV for the last 7 years. I have my heart set on a Oregon 450. It has everthing I want plus I am familiar with Base Camp, Mapsource and all Garmin software. I really dont want to switch names. My main concern is the visiblilty in the sun. Every review I read on the 550 complains about the sun visiblity. I was told from a Cabelas employee that the 550 is the same as the 450 without the camera. Is this true? I also called Garmin and they said that the 450 has a greatly improved screen. I am torn since the $400 is a hefty price tag. There are not that many detailed reviews of the 450 out there yet. I also have read that using a DC power source (which I can on the ATV) will make the screen brighter. Is this true? Any input and comments would be greratly appreciated. Thanks

I have the 450, it works fine in the sun. On really bright days I have to adjust the brightness up one or two clicks, but in general I keep it at 50% brightness to save battery life and I still have good visibility.

They also said of the 550 that it was brighter/easier to read than the earlier models when it was new. Experience has shown that they're all pretty much the same. I find my 550t easy enough to see, as long as I use the backlight for most situations. And yes, using external power so you can leave the backlight on is the way to go if you can.

Everything I've seen and read so far indicates that the 450 is literally a 550t w/o a camera, it even runs the same software. So that includes the display. The 550 has better daytime screen brightness than the x00 Oregon's (maybe 10-15%), but worse than the Dakota and significantly worse than the lower resolution eTrex and 60csx. The main issue I observe is readability on a bright overcast day. Under battery power with the screen brightness all the way up you'll need to adjust/shadow the unit to minimize reflections so that you can see the screen. Under DC power the readability is significantly better because the backlight is brighter than when the unit is under battery power.

...I also called Garmin and they said that the 450 has a greatly improved screen. ...Is this true? Any input and comments would be greratly appreciated. Thanks

I would want to see this to believe it. I have a 300 and the visiblity in sunlight is bad. You have to have it a just the right angle to make it tolerable. The backlight (which is what you get with DC power) makes it tolerable at something other than 'the right angle". Tolerable in the perfect circumstances is far short of good.

So I would say, go find one, take it outisde (drag the sales staff with you if you have too) and see how it compares to a 60C. If it's as good as the 60 they have greatly improved the screen. If you can see it with the backlight off but not quite as good as the 60, but you don't have to shift it to the 'perfect angle' that's also an improvment.

...I also called Garmin and they said that the 450 has a greatly improved screen. ...Is this true? Any input and comments would be greratly appreciated. Thanks

I would want to see this to believe it. I have a 300 and the visiblity in sunlight is bad. You have to have it a just the right angle to make it tolerable. The backlight (which is what you get with DC power) makes it tolerable at something other than 'the right angle". Tolerable in the perfect circumstances is far short of good.

So I would say, go find one, take it outisde (drag the sales staff with you if you have too) and see how it compares to a 60C. If it's as good as the 60 they have greatly improved the screen. If you can see it with the backlight off but not quite as good as the 60, but you don't have to shift it to the 'perfect angle' that's also an improvment.

I went from a 60csx that I still have to a new 450. Do what I did and buy from EMS or REI so that you can return it if it doesn't suit. I'm impressed with my 450. T screen is a little more difficult to see but not that bad. The paperless and field note features are outstanding. Read the Wiki's to see how to set up the screens. Download a white background and use it instead of the fancy ones that are in the unit. It makes a difference.

I went from a 60csx that I still have to a new 450. Do what I did and buy from EMS or REI so that you can return it if it doesn't suit. I'm impressed with my 450. T screen is a little more difficult to see but not that bad. The paperless and field note features are outstanding. Read the Wiki's to see how to set up the screens. Download a white background and use it instead of the fancy ones that are in the unit. It makes a difference.

Any chance of a photo side by side of the 60CSx and 450 in direct sunlight (pref with and without the backlight if its not too hard).

I used to own a 60CSx so seeing the 450 compared against that would give me a good comparison.

Many thanks if you are able to do this for us.

Thanks for the pix but the pix is not in the same order as the devices below.

Also the 450 is NOT the same as the 400 series

I am also set on getting the 450 when it comes out (widely available at a lower price)

I too want to see a side by side comparison of the 300/400 screen versus the 450 screen in indirect and direct sun light.

There are no local retailers here for me in So. Cal that have it where I can try it out so...

Need your help folks

Thanks

"This is a shot which compares the 550, 60csx, 400 and Dakota.

It is under indirect daylight so the backlight is starting to make some impact. There are other threads around that have direct light comparisons.

http://www.gpsfix.net/wp-content/uploads/2...een-compare.JPG

which is part of this post:

http://www.gpsfix.net/gamin-dakota-20-first-impressions/

Edited by salsaguy

This last weekend I was at an event and a fella there had a 450t. I took it over by a window with the bright sunlight streaming in, a very rare occurrence here in the northwet during winter. I was impressed. I could read it quite well, not as well and my 76CSx, but it was very readable. Compared to an early Oregon I saw a couple years ago it was night and day. I own I 76CSx and like it for its bright sun visibility, but I wold consider a 450t. But of course, my 76CSx probably has years of use left.

I have been one of Garmin’s fans for more than a decade, I have purchased at least 7 Garmin models over the years. But with the purchase of the Oregon 450 I just feel betrayed. I have owned it for well over a year now, just hoping I would grow to like it. I have fought with the screen visibility every day. I will never purchase another unit from Garmin without actually holding it in my hand first. This is not a small flaw! Something some people might find annoying. This kind of device should never have made it to production. I cannot emphasize enough how bad this flaw is. Everything the unit can do, which is just a marvelous amount of wonderful things, relies on the operator being able to read the screen.

I use a GPS for work, I use a GPS for play, and without a doubt I helped in the great surge of interest at the college at which I work, and in the city in general, in bringing awareness to the Geo Caching hobby. I am asked to teach classes on Geocaching. I am not trying to brag here, but trying to let you know that I am not a novice to GPS technology by any stretch, as I am decades into the techno;;ogy. And I am only laying this out so that you will not be fooled by claims that this is a great unit. Yes I agree it has fantastic features, nothing short of a modern marvel in that field, but so does my modern High Def. TV. However if I could not see the screen, what would be the point? Buyer beware on this particular device. Please go compare it in person to any other GPS you might consider before paying out your hard earned money. Don't trust the reviews, don't even trust me, just go look at one in the flesh first. Hold it up beside any other GPS in the world. I am totally sold on every other model I have bought from Garmin, from the lowely Gekos (of which I own 3) to the Street Pilots (of which I own 2, one monochrome and one color model), all are top notch devices well worth the money. Sadly I paid the most I have ever paid for a handheld on the Oregon 450, but to have any chance of success in the field, I find myself using their most inexpensive model, the little Geko 101, or my 202 instead and need to leave the Oregon in the car. Please save yourself the agony I have been going through. I would dump this thing in a minute if it would not hurt my wife’s feelings, that she gave up so much to buy this for me as a gift when I just would not stop raving about how much I wanted it after studying it online, and falling for the reviews of how marvelous it was. My Bad.

I apologize Garmin, I have always loved and promoted you guys. But give me a break. Or give me my wife’s money back, that would be even better.

Larry Miller, Casa Grande, AZ. You must have my number, as I have bought so many of your devices over the years.

Edited by The KJ7YM HAM BAND

I apologize Garmin, I have always loved and promoted you guys. But give me a break. Or give me my wife’s money back, that would be even better.

This is exactly why I got my Oregon 450 from REI, so if I wasn't happy with it, return it with no fuss. Of course, I haven't as the display works great, one of the brightest in direct desert sunlight. I just wish I could see the display on my iPhone5 in the direct sunlight 1/2 as well :D

I have been one of Garmin’s fans for more than a decade, I have purchased at least 7 Garmin models over the years. But with the purchase of the Oregon 450 I just feel betrayed. I have owned it for well over a year now, just hoping I would grow to like it. I have fought with the screen visibility every day. I will never purchase another unit from Garmin without actually holding it in my hand first. This is not a small flaw! Something some people might find annoying. This kind of device should never have made it to production. I cannot emphasize enough how bad this flaw is. Everything the unit can do, which is just a marvelous amount of wonderful things, relies on the operator being able to read the screen.

I use a GPS for work, I use a GPS for play, and without a doubt I helped in the great surge of interest at the college at which I work, and in the city in general, in bringing awareness to the Geo Caching hobby. I am asked to teach classes on Geocaching. I am not trying to brag here, but trying to let you know that I am not a novice to GPS technology by any stretch, as I am decades into the techno;;ogy. And I am only laying this out so that you will not be fooled by claims that this is a great unit. Yes I agree it has fantastic features, nothing short of a modern marvel in that field, but so does my modern High Def. TV. However if I could not see the screen, what would be the point? Buyer beware on this particular device. Please go compare it in person to any other GPS you might consider before paying out your hard earned money. Don't trust the reviews, don't even trust me, just go look at one in the flesh first. Hold it up beside any other GPS in the world. I am totally sold on every other model I have bought from Garmin, from the lowely Gekos (of which I own 3) to the Street Pilots (of which I own 2, one monochrome and one color model), all are top notch devices well worth the money. Sadly I paid the most I have ever paid for a handheld on the Oregon 450, but to have any chance of success in the field, I find myself using their most inexpensive model, the little Geko 101, or my 202 instead and need to leave the Oregon in the car. Please save yourself the agony I have been going through. I would dump this thing in a minute if it would not hurt my wife’s feelings, that she gave up so much to buy this for me as a gift when I just would not stop raving about how much I wanted it after studying it online, and falling for the reviews of how marvelous it was. My Bad.

Larry Miller, Casa Grande, AZ. You must have my number, as I have bought so many of your devices over the years.

Wow.

While the 450 isn't my favorite unit, the 62S is , I like it O.K. and never really had an issue with screen visibility.

My main issues are the screen frequently requires multiple pokes to respond and panning the map can be a nightmare.....thats about it......for what they currently cost I'd don't think you can get a better unit.