Geocaching Pack

hoosier guy

In my 'geocaching man purse' I have: gps, CAMERA, pocket note pad, numerous pens, tweezers, numerous spare batteries, minimag flashlight, and minimag flashlight replacement bulbs. This is all the equipment I've needed for 99% of my finds. A mirror is helpful, but I just use my digital camera to take pics of what I can't see and then look at the pics on the screen so it works the same way.

Of course if I'm hiking to caches then I take all necessary survival equipment: water, knife, matches, lighter, maps, food, compass, first aid kit, whistle, note cards, etc., etc.

Edited by simpjkee

i take out a rucksack, that has a keyring led attached to the strap and compass. inside the bag i have spare pencils, a few swaps, 2-4 pairs of spare batteries, a back up gps device (my old etrex h), my led lenser torch, notebook and a zip bag to keep it all dry. i also take a choc bar and a couple of litres of water too.

I basically attached an extra pouch to the MOLLE straps on my EDC pack when I started geocaching. Big enough to hold a couple of extra logs, zip-locks, TBs, GCs, pens, and a pad of paper. My EDC pack is a Maxpedition Condor-II that I've had for years and literally goes everywhere with me. 3 liter water bladder, first aid kit, flashlight, emergency shelter, socks, stuff to start a fire with, etc. The basics.

I attached a CITO GC to the strap and log that coin in to caches that I want to put on my favorites, TB31QV7.

My geocaching bag is the same bag I use for day hikes, so many of the items don't see any use while geocaching and are simply things I carry in case something goes wrong and I need to spend the night in the woods. I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, which is one of the best pieces of gear I own. For those who want the same style bag, without the cost. The UTG tactical messenger bag is a direct replica at half the price (I own this bag as well and the quality is just as good).

Hiking/Geocaching Kit:

Poncho w/ grommets to set up as a Tarp

Const. Grade Trash Bag

Paracord & Carabiners

Warm Hat

Thin Gloves

Mini First aid kit

Multi-tool

Hand Sanitizer

Gerber Slide Saw

Kershaw Echo Knife

1 watt LED Flashlight

Bandana

TP, Rubber Gloves, Hand Wipes

Rite in the Rain Notebook

Bible

Whistle

Compass & Map

Guyot Desgins Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Power Bars

Gatorade Packets

Heavy Duty Work Gloves (added grommets to hang on the bag w/ a carabiner)

Strikeforce Fire Steel & Tinder

Emergency Phone Charger

Water Treatment Tablets & 1 Quart zip lock

Water Filter Straw

Tea Bags

Sugar Packets

Watch

Garmin etrex GPS

Zip lock bag with trading items

I got a small box used for fishing - one of those translucent compartmentalized boxes - that I keep plastic baggies, micro logsheets, rubber bands, small trade items and such. It's more convenient than having to dig inside my bag for the items.

Some reading material is also useful if I want to hang around a park to outwait some muggles.

Edited by Chrysalides

Most of our caching involves hiking several miles so the "Monday Musketeers" use Camelbak hydration packs. I have some munchies, camera, baggies, logs, sharpies, minor first aid things, compass, pack raincover, spare batteries for GPSrs, and a couple of area trail maps for where we are. In winter I also toss in ice cleats, watch cap, and lightweight gloves.

My partner has about the same in her pack, sometimes more, sometimes a little less. Our packs are always ready to go, just add water. <_<

Within 15 minutes, or less, of a phone call either one of us is ready to walk out the door and go have fun.

briz954 hit most of the stuff, although we double-up in the "wearable" department.

Add:

two 12-packs batteries

headlamp and hand-held light

extra baggies

(do remember) LOUD whistle

bear repellent -- front harness and accessible

extra pens/pencils

space blankets (2)

no hat -- we always wear it

(do remember) a compass, at least a decent one

roll of duct tape

Coupled w/briz954 items, seems like a lot, but is easily packable into a Cabela's Whitetail Daypack -- comes with full harness and belt. Also has a pull-out hunter orange panel. Lots of pockets and hang loops. Two outside water-bottle pockets.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

We're still pretty new, and none of our caches have required a significant hike into the great outdoors yet, but our "cache kit" currently is a backpack (I think it's a Jansport) that I bought while in the Marines, and took on a Med float. Inside, we have some ziplock bags, black electrical tape, a mini clipboard, a camera, a few pens, tweezers, at least one extra set of rechargeable batteries, headlights for each of the kids and some trade items. On a mini carabiner on one of the shoulder straps, I hang my gloves (Mechanix Impact) and my headlight. I also usually have my KISS pocket knife, by CRKT.

Since we live in GA, and it gets hot as Hades with ridiculous humidity, I plan to upgrade my pack to something that is hydration compatible, and get the other family members a simple hydration pack. A first aid kit (a $13.88 one at Walmart has a TON of stuff in it...), snake bite kit, a couple of space blankets, some para cord, some Nitrile gloves (at least for the wife and I), granola bars/dried fruit/beef jerky, fire starting materials and a compass will be added to the pack once we start going further off road. And, I'm sure I'll think of other things as we go. I doubt we'll ever intentionally camp overnight while caching. (I kinda joke that I quit camping out when I stooped getting paid to do it.....LOL) But, as the saying goes, prudence is wise.

I guess that's it for now, and the dog wants me to take her out.

Later!

I use a CamelBak Striker when I cache. It has a 70oz. bladder for water, a zippered main compartment directly behind the bladder compartment, two smaller zippered compartments, and three open-air pockets. I carry a camera, ink pens, napkins, compass, snacks, fixed-blade knife (4"), flashlight, Leatherman tool, leather gloves, extra boot laces, a bandana for my neck, rain poncho, and a small first aid kit. If it's a really hot day, in addition to a bladder full of water, I'll carry a couple of small bottles of GatorAid in the side pockets.

CamelbakStriker.jpg