gas...

fendermallot

I'm no expert, but I did take the H & R Block class on tax law. Your wife can take a tax deduction for travel to and from the homes outside her office. I guess if you ride along and jump out when you are near a cache that could be counted, but I don't think taking detours for your caching adventures is going to count. Sorry.

The IRS has no sense of humor.

:unsure:

My wife just informed me that if we GC during the week we get to write the mileage off due to her being a caregiver! Can't ask for much more! I get to geocache and get the money back at the end of the year =P

I am, in fact, a lawyer. Do not screw around with the IRS. Seriously. If you are tagging along to help her drive and then drive over to a nearby park to cache while she does her thing, fine. Make a note of what miles got you to her work location and make another note of miles driven to cache. If you are going to go jam along on a hundred mile geocaching trip, don't do it.

I am all for getting the maximum number of deductions you can, but a harsh look from the IRS will cost you $5K in lawyers fees to get that stuff straightened out. Don't go there.

I work at a group home for the mentally ill and not only is geocaching not discouraged on the job, it is totally encouraged. I find a park with some caches and my clients and I hop in the company van for an outing to the park. It gets the clients out of the house, gives them some exercise, and helps orient them to their city. Finding a couple caches while doing it is the cherry on the top. A win win situation if there ever was one. :unsure:

I work at a group home for the mentally ill and not only is geocaching not discouraged on the job, it is totally encouraged. I find a park with some caches and my clients and I hop in the company van for an outing to the park. It gets the clients out of the house, gives them some exercise, and helps orient them to their city. Finding a couple caches while doing it is the cherry on the top. A win win situation if there ever was one. :unsure:

That is a very cool perk for a job. Now can you convince them to buy you a new GPS?

Are there any IRS auditors that frequent this forum? We would love to hear your opinion, and if you have reported this post yet. :unsure:

unless someone rats them out i am very curious to know how the heck would they prove mileage was used for caching, the only thing that would raise a flag and prompt an investigation would be a huge increase in the mileage claimed in comparison to previous years, otherwise if all stays within average i sure hope they will not be wasting time and money chasing them as opposed to the real tax "thieves"

my question to OP is...how old are you, 15?...to come put such a statement on a public forum, you might as well put up a sign at your front door or better still, send a note with your tax return telling IRS too, if they don't have a sense of humor, at least maybe they appreciate honesty :unsure:

I guess caregiver was the wrong word. We do daycare for our niece. Our accountant said we can write off mileage for going to and from "entertainment" for the kids. We don't plan on doing long road trips because the kids are all under 5 and it's just not realistic. We can write off mileage for taking the kids to the park. The whole family will be caching with us so whether we poke around the bushes "looking for buried treasure" with my son (as he's dressed up in his pirate outfit) and niece, or we stare at them running around the park aimlessly, there shouldn't be any difference.

I hope this explains it a bit better.

Oh, and thanks for the 15 y/o crack t4e! Married at 15... I'm not Amish, I don't cache w/ a topo map and a Brunton... =)

Edited by fendermallot
Oh, and thanks for the 15 y/o crack t4e! Married at 15... I'm not Amish, I don't cache w/ a topo map and a Brunton... =)

For the tax part, my rather useless suggestion is not to do anything that might trigger an audit even if it is legit, unless the savings is significant.

And as for the crack at Amish geocachers, I'll have you know a dowsing stick works wonders, thank you!

(no, I'm not Amish, and I've never gotten a dowsing stick to work either)