Missing owner logs-finds but no emails

hatlat

Maybe your email provider has a filter that is blocking the emails as spam. Check your spam folder. You might find them there.

Others have reported this with various email providers.

We use gmail and have never had any problem.

Also use gmail. Usually get logs on our caches every weekend. Only had 2 cache finds on ours on the 7th, but only received 1 email.

Maybe your email provider has a filter that is blocking the emails as spam. Check your spam folder. You might find them there.

Also use gmail. Usually get logs on our caches every weekend. Only had 2 cache finds on ours on the 7th, but only received 1 email.

a while ago there was a problem with the GC mail server. It was dropping mails or something, if I remember correctly. Maybe it is having troubles again?

I have had the same thing happen. Some people just don't log online.

Bingo! The cache log will often not match the online logs because some of us don't log finds online, therefore you won't get an email for every sig in the paper lg... or did I misunderstand the question?

Email server and spam-blocker issues are rarely intermittent... an email message either passes the email server's policy or it doesn't... there is usually no gray area where sometimes it will, sometimes in won't.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Bingo! The cache log will often not match the online logs because some of us don't log finds online, therefore you won't get an email for every sig in the paper lg... or did I misunderstand the question?

I'm am talking only about the online logs.

Not going to the cache site and reading logs.

So, I look at my cache online and there is a log for the 7th. I never received that in email. I check spam and have my cache mails forwarded. I can check in 2 accounts and see I received no email of that log. I saw it happen on the same user. They logged 6 of our caches, but I only got 4 emails. That was in January.

Hopefully this makes it clearer

A friend told me this weekend that it has been happening to him, as well. I asked about his provider (Comcast) and he said that he has checked. He sees the logs on the cache page, but claims that he never received the email version of the log.

Comcast is very strict when it comes to spam blocking.

I can't send emails to Comcast and neither can a business I work with. Comcast says that someone with a similar IP address was spamming.

Yup - sadly some email providers will mark Groundspeak emails as spam and block them - sometimes there is nothing you can do about it except ask your provider to let them through.

gmail works well enough.

My ISP blocks more and more emails they know are legit. My alternative ISP cooperates with the RIAA. Either option sucks. It may very well be gMail going forward.

and when I check my cache logs and don't see a online log I just delete that log.

Not a problem! You can scratch my name off of the paper log or replace the log to spite me and others who don't post finds online if you wish, I will never know about it unless I for some reason re-visit the cache and read old log entries (haven't yet!), and since it was never logged online it won't affect my stats. Since I don't pay attention to my find count you haven't accomplished anything anyway! I and the COs know where I've been, and that's enough. :(

Besides, I think Groundspeak would have an issue with your doing that. No policy says I have to log online but there is one saying that you can't delete legitimate logs. :tongue:

As to the OP, post some notes or finds to one of your caches and see if you get the emails. If you do then it isn't likely a server or spam-blocker issue.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I believe (OP correct me if I'm wrong!) that this is about not receiving the email copy of online finder's logs. The finders logs can be seen on the cache pag, but the cache owner never received an emailed copy of that log.

This (again, I believe) has nothing at all to do with the paper log not matching the online log.

If this is true, then this thread should really be moved to the Geocaching Website forum.

I believe (OP correct me if I'm wrong!) that this is about not receiving the email copy of online finder's logs. The finders logs can be seen on the cache pag, but the cache owner never received an emailed copy of that log.

This (again, I believe) has nothing at all to do with the paper log not matching the online log.

If this is true, then this thread should really be moved to the Geocaching Website forum.

Yeah, the OP has clearly said that twice.

GC has email server troubles from time to time. This is likely another instance of it. Google "email server " aimed at Groundspeak.com and you will see lots of similar troubles.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I did have this problem with Gmail, affecting maybe half of my notifications. I never did figure out which half or why: but that didn't matter, because it's easy to set up a filter to route all your GS mail to the inbox.

WAP site and iPhone app logs don't trigger notices. That could explain some or all of the OP's issue.

I had this happen to me this past weekend. A cacher who I know uses their iPhone, logged one of my caches and I didn't receive the owner email. I have gotten the email notification for everything else (watchlist, bookmark, publication, etc) just fine.