Time requirement for FTF

ShotgunPR

I searched high and low the forums, but since FTF, log, time and other words are below the 5-letter minimum for searches, the job was a bit daunting! So I create the thread to ask this (maybe has been asked thousands of times)

Let's supposse: Someone is the first to find (FTF) of a determined cache, and the owner knows the geocacher in fact was the FTF because the geocacher sent a photo of the FTF prize thru a tweet (proving the find and internet access, at least mobile). A week goes by and the CO sees the geocacher in question sending emails, posting "status updates" and photos on social networks, sending emails, posting topics on local forums and STILL does not log the find.

Is there a guideline/rule that the FTF HAS to log the find in a determined time-span?

I understand that some time might be conceded in case a geocacher is "away from civilization" under some circumstances, but if the geocacher evidently has the capability (internet access, computer, he/she is evident returned to his/her home, etc.) to log his/her find... Why delay it?

I believe this attitude is detrimental on geocaching and creates concern for those geocachers close to the area of the cache, since they are not certain if the cache has been found or not. At least for the FTF hunters it is. I do not hunt for FTF, but if luck strikes I definitely get happy with it.

FTF is the first person to find the cache by whatever means. No matter when (if ever) they get around to logging it online. I estimate as many as 30% of cachers do not log finds online.

The site does not recognize that particular subgame and hence there are no "rules" or guidelines for it.

FTF and 2 quarters will buy you a can of soda from the local machine. Let it go.

There are no rules or guidelines concerning first-to-find. None.

Not only that, there is no *requirement* to log the visit on Geocaching.com at all. Name in the logbook will tell the 2TF cacher that they aren't there first.

If you're worried about how 2TF might be thinking it's still an FTF race, post a note on the cache listing that the cache has been found.

I searched high and low the forums, but since FTF, log, time and other words are below the 5-letter minimum for searches, the job was a bit daunting! So I create the thread to ask this (maybe has been asked thousands of times)

Let's supposse: Someone is the first to find (FTF) of a determined cache, and the owner knows the geocacher in fact was the FTF because the geocacher sent a photo of the FTF prize thru a tweet (proving the find and internet access, at least mobile). A week goes by and the CO sees the geocacher in question sending emails, posting "status updates" and photos on social networks, sending emails, posting topics on local forums and STILL does not log the find.

Is there a guideline/rule that the FTF HAS to log the find in a determined time-span?

I understand that some time might be conceded in case a geocacher is "away from civilization" under some circumstances, but if the geocacher evidently has the capability (internet access, computer, he/she is evident returned to his/her home, etc.) to log his/her find... Why delay it?

I believe this attitude is detrimental on geocaching and creates concern for those geocachers close to the area of the cache, since they are not certain if the cache has been found or not. At least for the FTF hunters it is. I do not hunt for FTF, but if luck strikes I definitely get happy with it.

There is no requirement to log a find online. (At least there is no way to enforce such a requirement). In some areas where there is intense FTF competion this may be a little rude, in that others will run out to find the cache because they believe the FTF is still available. However, once the 2nd finder logs online people will know the cache has been found. That's one reason I don't believe in waiting for the FTF to log online. If I'm 2nd to find, I'll log online when I log my other finds for the day whether or not th FTF has logged yet. I will mention that I was not FTF.

I used to try to enforce that finders of my caches would log online. I would cross out their names in the log book if they didn't post an online find. But this turned out to be ineffective.

The site does not recognize that particular subgame and hence there are no "rules" or guidelines for it.

FTF and 2 quarters will buy you a can of soda from the local machine. Let it go.

There are VERY specific guidelines and rules for being able to get an Earth Cache published. Right?

If you own 10 Earth Caches you'll still need 2 quarters to buy the can of soda.

No. In fact some people don't log online at all. From time to time these non loggers might be FTF. Not much you can do about that.

If the FTF doesn't log online but the CO knows it has been found he can always post a note on the page so the FTF hounds know it has been found.

Edited by briansnat

There are VERY specific guidelines and rules for being able to get an Earth Cache published. Right?

ummmm-yes. Do you have a point??

Nope. He doesn't HAVE to log online at all.

In fact, he doesn't HAVE to even sign the logbook if he doesn't want to.

A person can, if fact, grab the coordinates, find the cache, and be completely happy with never making contact with anyone else in the geocaching community.

That would be a bit anti-social, but there's simply no way to enforce anything upon someone finding your caches.

FTF is the first person to find the cache by whatever means. No matter when (if ever) they get around to logging it online. I estimate as many as 30% of cachers do not log finds online.

This amount surprises me, StarBrand. Is that a trend local to your area? For my caches I would estimate the amount that do not log online at <5%.

ummmm-yes. Do you have a point??

Your post made it seem like just because there was no official guideline or rule, a FTF was worthless when purchasing a soda, and therefore wasn't worthy of discussion ("let it go").

I was pointing out that things on this site that DO have guidelines are also useless when making a soda purchase.

A person can, if fact, grab the coordinates, find the cache, and be completely happy with never making contact with anyone else in the geocaching community.

That would be a bit anti-social, but there's simply no way to enforce anything upon someone finding your caches.

If you are second to find, but know the first to find doesn't log on line...

No Rules, Claim First to Find!

:ph34r:

there are no FTF rules anyway..none...so claim it EVERYTIME you find a cache. :D

Edited by WHO-DEY

there are no FTF rules anyway..none...so claim it EVERYTIME you find a cache. :ph34r:

Excellent idea!

This amount surprises me, StarBrand. Is that a trend local to your area? For my caches I would estimate the amount that do not log online at <5%.

Might be just local but when I look at my physical logbooks vs online logs - that tends to hold true.

Well, heck. I know online logging is not required, but hearing the extent of the nonlogging habit in your area just makes me sad. I'm zipping through there this summer with my non-caching family, and if I get a chance to find any of your caches, StarBrand, you can be sure I will write something. Unfortunately, the key words are zipping, non-caching and something. :ph34r:

--------------

EDIT: Sorry, too many open thread windows.

Edited by aka Momster