Best iPhone companion (or replacement?)

ZeLonewolf

Apologies if this has been rehashed in the past.

I currently cache with an iPhone 3G. I'm looking to find the best companion dedicated GPSr to go with it, one that has better accuracy, a digital compass, and an easy way to get caches into the device.

I love that I can pull up the iPhone app at any place and at any time and find the nearest caches to me, but I don't love the GPS quality. What's the best handheld device I can get that has the absolute EASIEST mechanism for loading caches into the device? I do NOT want to be typing coordinates in off the iPhone.

Note that I would use this device EXCLUSIVELY for geocaching, so any features that aren't caching-related I could really care less about.

Price is no object here.

Thanks!

DeLorme PN-30. Go with PN-40 if you insist on having a compass, though I don't think it's necessary.

This would not be my first choice as an "all-around" GPS, but it's an awfully good deal for "just geocaching" as the OP requested.

It's less expensive than any comparably accurate unit. A $10 optional "Cache Register" app makes it super-easy to load caches for paperless use -- almost as easy as an iPhone ;) The screen is small and is NOT a touchscreen, but it's sharp, bright, and easy to read.

I will try and answer a few of your questions:

I currently cache with an iPhone 3G. I'm looking to find the best companion dedicated GPSr to go with it...

A companion unit would be something inexpensive like a Garmin Venture HC for around $130.00 or something in this class. It has a high sensitivity receiver that works under tree cover and tall buildings.

What's the best handheld device I can get that has the absolute EASIEST mechanism for loading caches into the device? I do NOT want to be typing coordinates in off the iPhone.

Almost all units utilize a usb cable to import caches on them. There currently, as far as I am aware, is not a unit that you can load caches wireless. There is no cord that you can plug into the iPhone and then into the GPS unit to download the information. If you are out and about and you see a new cache on your iPhone and you want that info on your GPS, you are going to have to "type" in your coordinates.

There is no other way to do it unless you happen to be at a Starbucks surfing the web on your netbook and then you can plug in your GPS to the netbook via a usb cable and download the coordinates to your GPS.

Note that I would use this device EXCLUSIVELY for geocaching, so any features that aren't caching-related I could really care less about.

The only GPS that is set up specifically for Geocaching is the Geomate Jr, but this would not serve your purpose. All GPS's have other features for the hiker, kayaker, biker, etc.

Price is no object here.

If price is no-object, then go out and look at the stand alone GPS's that offer paperless caching like the Garmin Oregons, Colorados, and Dakotas. You could also wait for the new Delorme PN-60 which is around $600.00. But none of these units are compliments to your iPhone, they are all basically replacements to it. With these units you would benefit from secondary software like GSAK or Cachemate but you can also load PQ's directly to these units. The Garmins have touch screens similar to an iPhone.

So, the bottom line is do you want to compliment your iphone or replace your iphone. I have a PN-40 that does paperless caching and I am very happy with it. I am also an iPhone user and use it only when I don't have a cache loaded into my PN-40 or if I'm out with the kids and they ask if there is a cache nearby. I have never used it as my primary unit.

I also have a 60csx, Legend HCX, and a Venture HC. With these units, the iPhone is a great compliment to them. I use the iPhone to access the cache description, hints, and previous logs. I used to use a PDA for this but the iPhone was more up to date. The Paperless GPS's do this so I don't use my iPhone with my PN-40.

Edited to add text.

Good luck in your decision making process.

Edited by ao318

Apologies if this has been rehashed in the past.

I currently cache with an iPhone 3G. I'm looking to find the best companion dedicated GPSr to go with it, one that has better accuracy, a digital compass, and an easy way to get caches into the device.

I love that I can pull up the iPhone app at any place and at any time and find the nearest caches to me, but I don't love the GPS quality. What's the best handheld device I can get that has the absolute EASIEST mechanism for loading caches into the device? I do NOT want to be typing coordinates in off the iPhone.

Price is no object here.

Thanks!

The Garmin Oregon is a great option. I also use an iphone at times to find a local cache but find the coords to be sometimes several hundred feet off.