What would you do?

rovers3

Here's the situation. I received the following notification on a cache of mine. It is on public land along a bike path but is in a tree close to some back yard fences, one of which is where my daughter lives and she and her husband know of the cache. It is directly behind their house. It was meant to be a fun cache.

The cache in question is Like Hey Dude! Like find My Cache. GC236KY

"You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

(deleted) couldn't find Like Hey Dude! Like find My Cache. (Traditional Cache) at 1/22/2010

Log Date: 1/22/2010

Went by this one on my way home from work. As soon as I got into some trees wher the gps was pointing to, this really annoying voice started screaming "get out of there!" over and over again neatly timed with yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap. "This is private property! Go smoke your joints somewhere else!" O_o "You better get out of here! I'm calling the cops!"

Which I replied "nope this is public property; Do you see me smoking anything? And go ahead call the cops so I can register a noise complaint against your (edited out) loud mouth rat" Although most of what I said was dround out by their (edited out) loud mouthed rat. I continued looking for the next couple minutes but couldn't see anything. Although I was really tempted to light up a smoke just to (deleted) her off as much as her and her rat made me. But figured I should just keep moving, even if I did find it they were watching me and we couldn't have that.

I suggest this be moved away from this area, just so I dont have to listen to that (edited out) any more or her rat. If fact anyone else willing to take this one on, make sure you find it before they find you and then make as much noise as possible just to drive that rat and her (edited out) up the wall."

The finder has only 27 finds so is new at this. I think his attitude sucks.

I plan to contact my daughter's neighbour to explain the situation and hope that they will be cool with its being there. If not I will probably move the cache.

Edited by rovers3

If your daughter's neighbor is going to complain everytime that someone hunts for the cache, then, perhaps it is not in the best location. This can be a common problem around perimeters of parks.

As to the log, he does sound a trifle miffed. But he is allowed his opinions, and hasn't violated any guidelines (except, perhaps, with the use of the 'b' word.) And it shows the world parts of his personailty.

If you are going to post in the forums, it's best to use

--Expletive deleted--

To address the expletives.

As for the cacher, when you delete his logs he will probably go on a witch hunt and end up being a cache maggot but it would be best to ask him to edit his log into a "family friendly" manner and hope he does.

P.S. It's customary to remove actual cacher names when posting cache logs of this nature

Here's the situation. I received the following notification on a cache of mine. It is on public land along a bike path but is in a tree close to some back yard fences, one of which is where my daughter lives and she and her husband know of the cache. It is directly behind their house. It was meant to be a fun cache.

The cache in question is Like Hey Dude! Like find My Cache. GC236KY

"You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

--Cachers name removed--

couldn't find Like Hey Dude! Like find My Cache. (Traditional Cache) at 1/22/2010

Log Date: 1/22/2010

Went by this one on my way home from work. As soon as I got into some trees wher the gps was pointing to, this really annoying voice started screaming "get out of there!" over and over again neatly timed with yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap. "This is private property! Go smoke your joints somewhere else!" O_o "You better get out of here! I'm calling the cops!"

Which I replied "nope this is public property; Do you see me smoking anything? And go ahead call the cops so I can register a noise complaint against your --Expletive deleted-- loud mouth rat" Although most of what I said was dround out by their --Expletive deleted-- loud mouthed rat. I continued looking for the next couple minutes but couldn't see anything. Although I was really tempted to light up a smoke just to piss her off as much as her and her rat made me. But figured I should just keep moving, even if I did find it they were watching me and we couldn't have that.

I suggest this be moved away from this area, just so I dont have to listen to that --Expletive deleted-- any more or her rat. If fact anyone else willing to take this one on, make sure you find it before they find you and then make as much noise as possible just to drive that rat and her --Expletive deleted-- up the wall."

The finder has only 27 finds so is new at this. I think his attitude sucks.

I plan to contact my daughter's neighbour to explain the situation and hope that they will be cool with its being there. If not I will probably move the cache.

Edited by bittsen
What would you do?

First, if I were you, I'd edit your post - remove the cacher's name. It's the courteous thing to do. He's somewhat less then courteous (understatement), no cause for you to be as well. You have 6 (?) hours or so from posting to edit. If you find that you can't edit, use the "report" button to contact a moderator to do it.

Two, I'd disable the cache until the unhappy homeowner can be contacted. Good luck with this.

Here's the situation. I received the following notification on a cache of mine. It is on public land along a bike path but is in a tree close to some back yard fences, one of which is where my daughter lives and she and her husband know of the cache. It is directly behind their house."

All too often caches near homes end up being bad news, even if the cache is located on public land. Sure, your daughter and her husband may know about the cache, but the odds are the neighbors don't. Imagine what the neighbors see: sudden increased traffic near their back yard, people sneaking off into the trees, their dog becoming increasingly irritated and yappy.

Maybe the neighbor has been doing a slow boil and getting more and more worried or concerned about why these people are hanging out near their yard. (Sure, it's behind your daughter's yard, but depending on the type of hide, the accuracy, how people approach the cache, they're going to go by the neighbors at some point!) They finally see someone back there and snap. They happen to snap at a cacher who apparently has an attitude, or may have just been having a bad day. Boom!

Short of asking him to edit his log to make it more family friendly (and deleting it if he fails to do so), I would take it as valuable feedback on my cache placement and move on. Avoid adding anything more to the "drama" because it won't end well.

Due to this early experience, I do not believe that the neighbor is going to see your side of the issue here. You would be far better off to remove the cache and archiving it. Use the container at a better spot.

Should you try to get the neighbor to see it your way, because you use your daughter's house being closeby as a 'safety net', you may well be alienating your daughter from her neighbor(s).

My opinion only.

Sounds like two wrongs to me. The cacher's attitude was obviously horrible. That goes without saying.

But also, you hid your cache in what sounds to me like a terrible location. Just because it is public land doesn't mean that it should have a cache hidden there. I hate caches that put me in or near people's back yards. Even if *all* of the neighbors know about the cache, and are fine with it, as a finder, I do not know that. What was so special about that spot that it needed a cache, anyway?

I can kinda understand the nitchy beighbour's response. I also have a narrow alley behind my property that is used as a walkway mostly by kids looking to have an inhale on one type of rolled substance or another. After a while it does start to be a nuisance. I will say that if a cache was placed behind my property and in view of my back window I would become suspicious that it was a dead drop of one sort or another, but if the CO took the time to tell me about and explain the game I would likely be okay with it as the influx of cachers may cut down on the number of kids smoking up. if the homeowner doesn't get it, move the cache as repeated calls to police will likely mean that they find the cache and then look for the CO to answer some questions.

bwmick

Thanks for the input.

I was out caching/hiking all day so didn't get a chance to approach the neighbour. We are going to do that tomorrow and give her the Geocaching Brochure from Geocaching U to help explain the game.

If this fails to bring her around, I will be moving or archiving the cache.

Sounds like two wrongs to me. The cacher's attitude was obviously horrible. That goes without saying.

But also, you hid your cache in what sounds to me like a terrible location. Just because it is public land doesn't mean that it should have a cache hidden there. I hate caches that put me in or near people's back yards. Even if *all* of the neighbors know about the cache, and are fine with it, as a finder, I do not know that. What was so special about that spot that it needed a cache, anyway?

While I mostly agree that caches should be put in places that people would like to see because they are interesting, that doesn't mean they all have to be.

One cache in my city (GC1E73H)is placed in a green strip between a semi-major road and an alley behind some houses.

It is a very clever hide and the CO placed it there because his mother lives in the retirement home across the street and likes to look out the window. He placed it there so she can see cachers now and then.

She even contributed some nice hand knitted stuff as swag.

The location itself is nothing special that "it needed a cache" but do you think one shouldn't have been placed there?

Edited by brslk

Thanks for the input.

I was out caching/hiking all day so didn't get a chance to approach the neighbour. We are going to do that tomorrow and give her the Geocaching Brochure from Geocaching U to help explain the game.

If this fails to bring her around, I will be moving or archiving the cache.

In my opinion, talking to the neighbors should have occured BEFORE hiding the Cache. Now that the hide has created a bad incident, you're not likely to win them over, since they will think more people like that are coming. They are likely to remove the cache themselves. I'd take this as a learning experience, remove the Cache, and Archive it.