Cool Or Stupid?

Atropos3

I'm going to follow recommendations and wait to place my first cache until I've found 50. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do already, though. Here is my idea:

I am thinking a series of caches that are a hail to Classic Nintendo games. These won't be micro caches....we're talking standard sized with logs and swag.

There will be 8 total caches. An homage to the 8-castle setup in Mario and Zelda. In each cache will be a laminated bit of card stock in the shape of the triforce with Coords to the next cache. It might also say something like "You found the cache! ...but our Princess is in another castle...

The initial swag will be themed around a specific Classic Nintendo game. Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, Tetris, Zelda, etc...

I'm thinking the 8th cache should have something special. Perhaps a travel bug attached to a Princess Peach key fob? Or! Maybe a cool reward for the FTF?

Of course, the whole thing will take careful planning and a lot of searching finding adequate hiding spots.

What do you think?

Those kinds of caches are fun.

It sounds like you are going to list the first of the eight caches; it will lead you to the second one and so on? Sort of a multi with a log at each stage?

Not everyone likes to do them in the order in which you want them done; another way to do this is have the final's coordinates distributed in pieces across each of the other seven caches - that way all need to be visited but in no particular order. I have a cache like that called Virtual Chili

EDIT: this way you attract those who would otherwise bypass a "too-many-stages" (?) multi because of the effort involved, presumably for only one smiley face.

Edited by frinklabs

I like it - of course I am fresh off of spending some time with the New Super Mario game for Wii.... I like themes - make it a little more fun.

You could even try to design your cache containers around objects from the game if you chose... like an ammo can painted like a mushroom head, or golden question mark box.... etc....

Eight unique caches that have their own swag and log but then give coords to the next cache in the series.

I'd consider it ok then. Auto-tours I hold in low regard too. <_< For me the series should also be within a reasonable distance of each other. But that is my preference.. NOT indicating there should be some rule or anything. Mario is my hero.

It sounds like you are going to list the first of the eight caches; it will lead you to the second one and so on? Sort of a multi with a log at each stage?

Not everyone likes to do them in the order in which you want them done; another way to do this is have the final's coordinates distributed in pieces across each of the other seven caches - that way all need to be visited but in no particular order. I have a cache like that called Virtual Chili

EXCELLENT point I didn't mention.

eight unique caches that have their own swag and log but then give coords to the next cache in the series.

Reviewer response here. I'd probably tell you that a cache series which exactly meets the description of a multi-cache IS a multi-cache. Also, that if the first hide in your series goes down, it takes seven other cache listings with it.

And that as a practical matter, cache>cache>cache>cache series that I have published have been short-lived. Eventually the cache owner gets tired of replacing the weakest link and wants to convert the caches to traditional. That won't happen. Changing cache type changes the stats of all previous finders.

A far better design to tie together a group of hides like this would be to have 7 free standing traditional caches, each of which contains some bit of information that combined, allows cachers to find #8 (listed as Mystery type).

EDIT: this way you attract those who would otherwise bypass a "too-many-stages" (?) multi because of the effort involved, presumably for only one smiley face.

Ahh yes, I think that would be best. That is how I will do it then.

I like it - of course I am fresh off of spending some time with the New Super Mario game for Wii.... I like themes - make it a little more fun.

You could even try to design your cache containers around objects from the game if you chose... like an ammo can painted like a mushroom head, or golden question mark box.... etc....

Yeah, I've been playing SMB Wii too..and downloaded some classic games on the Wii. That's where I got the idea.

I really like the idea of decorating the caches like various items found in a game. That would rock!

eight unique caches that have their own swag and log but then give coords to the next cache in the series.

Reviewer response here. I'd probably tell you that a cache series which exactly meets the description of a multi-cache IS a multi-cache. Also, that if the first hide in your series goes down, it takes seven other cache listings with it.

And that as a practical matter, cache>cache>cache>cache series that I have published have been short-lived. Eventually the cache owner gets tired of replacing the weakest link and wants to convert the caches to traditional. That won't happen. Changing cache type changes the stats of all previous finders.

A far better design to tie together a group of hides like this would be to have 7 free standing traditional caches, each of which contains some bit of information that combined, allows cachers to find #8 (listed as Mystery type).

Yeah, I agree...that is the better way to do it. So, when describing cache 8 should I link to the previous 7 caches or what? How would I handle that final listing?

Here in western NY we have several cache hiders who put out themed series. Each cache is a standalone traditional or puzzle/mystery cache that contains part of the information needed for the final cache in the series. This allows folks to find the individual caches in any order and avoids possible frustration if an individual cache goes missing, as others have mentioned.

There are a couple of ways that I've seen the individual caches tied together. Often the hider will publish a web page that describes the series and provides the links to the cache descriptions. I've also seen people list the links of all the cache descriptions in the series on all of the cache pages.

Sounds like the series could be a lot of fun. I assume you would make the caches doable by non-gamers too!

Yeah, I agree...that is the better way to do it. So, when describing cache 8 should I link to the previous 7 caches or what? How would I handle that final listing?

Oh, another thing - make sure the code for each individual cace is permanantly marked or attached to the cache container. If it's just on a laminated card sooner or later it will go missing.

I'm going to follow recommendations and wait to place my first cache until I've found 50. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do already, though. Here is my idea:

I am thinking a series of caches that are a hail to Classic Nintendo games. These won't be micro caches....we're talking standard sized with logs and swag.

There will be 8 total caches. An homage to the 8-castle setup in Mario and Zelda. In each cache will be a laminated bit of card stock in the shape of the triforce with Coords to the next cache. It might also say something like "You found the cache! ...but our Princess is in another castle...

The initial swag will be themed around a specific Classic Nintendo game. Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, Tetris, Zelda, etc...

I'm thinking the 8th cache should have something special. Perhaps a travel bug attached to a Princess Peach key fob? Or! Maybe a cool reward for the FTF?

Of course, the whole thing will take careful planning and a lot of searching finding adequate hiding spots.

What do you think?

It's cool, and it shows you are putting some real thought into your caches. Be sure the locations are also well thought out or it's all for naught. And keep very accurate records in case something does go missing or needs maintenance.

There are a couple of similar active series caches locally that take the concept to another level, literally.

Geocanes starts with 8 traditional player card hides. Each one has some of the coords that you need to find the 4 goalie caches. Those have parts of the coords for the 2 captain caches, which provide the coords for the Stanley Cup final cache.

Sleeping with the Fishes Starts with 16 minnows leading to 8 clownfish, then 4 tuna, then 2 dolphin and then The Whale.

Some finders focused only on the fish series and attempted to do it in a short time, or even a day. I netted the minnows during my normal caching travels, and even a few clownfish. But when I realized I had only a few clowns left, I spent an entire day to complete the series driving past other caches to ensure I could harpoon the whale before sundown. It created greater anticipation that way, instead of just another (albeit very large) ammo can in the woods find.

So, when describing cache 8 should I link to the previous 7 caches or what? How would I handle that final listing?

Yes, you'd reference the other 7 hides needed for info gathering to find the Mystery/Bonus. A list of GC codes, as links, if you've got the html skill would be good.

If you were a Premium Member, you could also build a bookmarked list of the caches, that way they could be grabbed as a group in a query of that bookmarked list.

Good luck with this!

So, when describing cache 8 should I link to the previous 7 caches or what? How would I handle that final listing?

Yes, you'd reference the other 7 hides needed for info gathering to find the Mystery/Bonus. A list of GC codes, as links, if you've got the html skill would be good.

If you were a Premium Member, you could also build a bookmarked list of the caches, that way they could be grabbed as a group in a query of that bookmarked list.

Good luck with this!

Here's one example of a very well-liked 5 cache series like that...

The first stage: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c4-269abe534446

The final: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ef-f692e8a9c1a3

(obviously, you can find the other three stages by looking at Nearest)

Ahh yes, I think that would be best. That is how I will do it then.

The Virtual Chili is a good approach as it allows those that might only be traveling to your area for a brief amount of time to find one, up to all caches in the series (with the option of going straight to the final). I've done more than a couple of "series" caches where I completed "most" of the stage caches, but for some reason couldn't find one of them so was not able to look for the "final" in the series either. In one case I found the first six of the "seven dwarves" but DNFd on the seventh due to muggles and, as it turned out, that was the furthest cache in the series from home (about 30 miles). The final, from what I can tell, is only 10 miles or so from home.

Sounds like a good cache series.

What i would propose is that you make the final a puzzle cache and the parts of the seies could be the pieces to the puzzle. It would be similar to the legend of Zelda game because you could visit the "castles" in order or not to get the pieces to the final castle.

Mario was a little too linear unless you used the hidden tunnels to bypass stages.

Not that I'm discouraging becoming a premium member, but if you ask really nice, I bet a premium member would bookmark the caches for ya.

Of course, membership does has many benefits way beyond bookmarks, but that's another thread. :lol: