TBs reached the end of the line

arnoldbikerider

I found a TB tag only at a cache that had been muggled. Nothing was attached to the tag, just the tag. I logged it like I should, and it's now in my posession. The owner of the TB hasn't been on Geocaching since March, so it doesn't appear the owner will take care of it. Maybe I should attach some toy and set it free, but it brings up another question.

How are TB entries that are inactive for months and months removed to an unknown state?

Any suggestions on what should be done with this TB? Turn in for the scrap metal value?

The Travel Bug tag IS the traveler, what is or was attached is just along for the ride.

There is a TB 'Graveyard' for missing TBs, see details in the TB forum here.

Since the TB isn't missing, it just lost its traveler, I would attach something (especially if you have something that matches the old traveler depicted on the TB page) and let 'er go travel.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The first TB that I found was tag only. I attached a toy I had with me, then emailed the owner, offering to put it back in circulation with the toy I attached, or to send him the tag so he could restore the TB. I received the answer that the TB tag travels without a hitchhiker. So I removed the toy I attached, and put the tag back in circulation (I added a ziploc and a piece of paper, noting the mission of the TB and the fact that it travels tag only).

If the owner is inactive, and there isn't any indication on the TB's page about its hitchhiker, probably your best option is to put it back in circulation like you found it. If you find some pictures or description of the hitchhiker, you can attach something similar. Don't attach a large toy to the bug, large TB's can fit in a limited number of caches.

Well, it all depends on how much work(and fun) you want to do. Firstly, just because the owned has not logged in doesn't mean they are not keeping track, they may be loking at it when logged in under another account, of they may just be gone for a while. After trying to contact them, you may also try posting the details of the situation in a log on the page. One way to see what was supposed to be attached is to try contacting people who have found the bug before. There are some travelers out that have nothing attached too. It could be an interesting challenge to see this through to the end, even if you just end up learning more about the bugs history.

Can you share the public reference number so we can look the bug up??

Looks like there's a great picture of the toy on the page. If you want, try finding a replacement, or even print the picture and laminate it to attach. It's all up to you how much work/challenge you want to take on. There's a player in San Jose who used to put a great deal of effort into finding replacemenys for missing TB parts.

Edit to add the link!! TB155PR

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=666867

3dea7ed7-b2ad-4d36-9ace-f1a3426fa779.jpg

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Is there something in the guidelines that says a TB has to have something attached to it? Unless there is, I'd just move it along. I don't see a need to contact the owner unless, as suggested earlier, there is a photo of it with an attachment.

Nope, nothing in the guidelines...but a TB tag with nothing attached seems like it could get lost in the shuffle pretty easily.

i've released some that are just the tags; i don't care about the toys, but i like to see how the tags move.

the tag IS the TB. if you have found one that's tag only, it's still a viable TB and you should treat it like any other TB.

if you're pretty sure it should have a thing attached to it, you might could ask the owner if s/he would like you to do so, or you might could just attach something you think is appropriate.

I found a TB tag only at a cache that had been muggled. Nothing was attached to the tag, just the tag. I logged it like I should, and it's now in my posession. The owner of the TB hasn't been on Geocaching since March, so it doesn't appear the owner will take care of it. Maybe I should attach some toy and set it free, but it brings up another question.

How are TB entries that are inactive for months and months removed to an unknown state?

Any suggestions on what should be done with this TB? Turn in for the scrap metal value?

Just because the Travel Bug owner has not logged on to geocaching.com for more than nine months does not mean that they are not still receiving the emails. While you are probably correct that they will not respond, the attempt should still be made.

well, does the TB page show a picture of the original tag with a toy attached? Try and find something similar and note it when you release it...

Only after unsuccessful attempts to contact the Travel Bug owner to determine the owner's preference.

I've found a TB tag which had lost its traveller in similar circumstances. I contacted the owner and then, when I'd had no reply, attached a traveller which had the same sentiment as the original and set it on its way.

Good move! Attempted contact with the owner and then took appropriate action after a reasonable time had passed without a response. Of course, you also explained all this in a note or your log for the Travel Bug.

The Travel Bug tag IS the traveler, what is or was attached is just along for the ride.

There is a TB 'Graveyard' for missing TBs, see details in the TB forum here.

Since the TB isn't missing, it just lost its traveler, I would attach something (especially if you have something that matches the old traveler depicted on the TB page) and let 'er go travel.

We don't use "graveyards" anymore, we mark them missing, now that we have that option.