Blocking another playing from contacting you

Parabola

I was wondering, I've blocked a player from being able to contact me threw my normal e-mail account. Is there anyway I can block this person from being able to contact me threw the website at all. I don't care to read his rant's anymore.

I was just wondering if there was a way to stop all contact from this person, yeah sure if they where to find one of my hides, I'd get the log, but a PM is what I want to block from the geocaching website.

Thanks,

Parabola

If they want to be thick skinned and persistent, they could post a note on any of your caches, and then delete the log. Though depending in what they post, this could be grounds for banning.

But, of course, "deleted" logs are not readable by mere mortals but the all powerful admins can read the logs. They are not deleted, just printed with invisible ink.

And I suspect that after asking GC.com to stop this persons email and they do this trick they will get exactly one warning before they will no longer be able to log into the site.

Jim

If they want to be thick skinned and persistent, they could post a note on any of your caches, and then delete the log. Though depending in what they post, this could be grounds for banning.

But, of course, "deleted" logs are not readable by mere mortals but the all powerful admins can read the logs. They are not deleted, just printed with invisible ink.

And I suspect that after asking GC.com to stop this persons email and they do this trick they will get exactly one warning before they will no longer be able to log into the site.

The cache owner (and any watchers) would still get the email, and will have to read the message to filter it from the legitimate logs. That was my (poorly made) point. And they could keep on creating accounts if that is what it takes.

A better solution would be to create an email filter to automatically ignore the person.

Back to the OP:

For blocking PM, there is an option that says "PM Buddies/Block List". I'm not sure if it works. For testing, I added "Parabola" to my block list. Try sending me a PM and see if it works.

Edited by Chrysalides

I was wondering, I've blocked a player from being able to contact me threw my normal e-mail account.

As far as I know it's not possible directly via Geocaching.com. However you can report this person to Groundspeak, if he or she is abusing the system, Groundspeak will probably take measures. (Ban this person for a period of time or forever. It happened.)

Every time you get an Email via Geocaching.com the subject is like this:

[GEO] USERNAME contacting Your USERNAME from Geocaching.com

So, just set up your Spam-Filter that it deletes all messages which include "[GEO] USERNAME contacting". That will work.

If the person does this post note - delete note method. Just set up your spam Filter for "USERNAME posted a note".

GermanSailor

Edited by GermanSailor

The cache owner (and any watchers) would still get the email, and will have to read the message to filter it from the legitimate logs. That was my (poorly made) point. And they could keep on creating accounts if that is what it takes.

A better solution would be to create an email filter to automatically ignore the person.

Back to the OP:

For blocking PM, there is an option that says "PM Buddies/Block List". I'm not sure if it works. For testing, I added "Parabola" to my block list. Try sending me a PM and see if it works.

I just sent you a PM. :)

Thank you for all the suggestion's everybody!!!

In which they'll just make a new account, lather rinse repeat

Umm, no.

Do you really think Groundspeak is incompetent?

Umm, no.

Do you really think Groundspeak is incompetent?

But perhaps 'make a new account' might include acquiring a new IP address...in which case it would indeed be 'lather, rinse, repeat'.

I doubt anyone would be quite that persistent, but we have seen some rather determined jerks around here.