Originals

geodarts

Another thread got me thinking about geocaching firsts. I remember finding my first lamp post hide. It took me two visits and I thought that the person who placed a cache there was a genius (I still think that but for other reasons). Still, there had to be a first cache to do this.

And there had to be a first cache using a film cannister. Not to mention guard rail placements, hints that talk about being stumped, and other things that we take for granted. There are a lot of unsung people out there.

So when was the first lamp post hide anyway?

It's hard to say for sure, but I have yet to discover one that predates GC2A3, hidden in February 2001.

No offense, but debatable. Not exactly the classic store parking lot bolt weather cover on a concrete base. :o

Speaking of NYC though, I'll bet there's a good chance Cache_Ninja, the first finder of that cache, was the first to use a film canister, maybe even in 2000.

If it's any consolation, in a local forum, I did trace the first LPC in my area to December 2004 (leg of a multi). It didn't take more than 2 months before it was copied for a traditional park-n-grab in a car wash parking lot.

There is a very early forum post here somewhere that I stumbled across once a few years ago, where they were discussing the concept of LPC. Apparently it was a brand-new idea at the time, and everyone thought it sounded pretty cool, and that someone should do it.

Eventually the thread died down, and was resurrected a year or two later, with a post that simply said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have tried to find that thread again since, to no avail.

No offense, but debatable. Not exactly the classic store parking lot bolt weather cover on a concrete base. :o

None taken.

It was definitely a lamp post hide - logs circa 2001 refer to a "lamp post" - but I don't know if it was the first. It's just the earliest I've been able to find. It was not a "skirt lifter" though, so if folks are trying to trace the genesis of that hide style it would have to be another listing.

It's hard to say for sure, but I have yet to discover one that predates GC2A3, hidden in February 2001.
That is the first one I was aware of. It was also the first micro I had heard of, though I don't think the term micro had entered the geo vernacular yet.

Me too. That cache is listed with a 14 Feb 2001 hide date. The earliest mentions of the term "micro" that I've seen (I'm not claiming that they're the first ever) are both Cache Ninja listings -

GC323 listed 21 Feb 2001

and

GC350 listed 24 Feb 2001

As a side note, GC350 may be the first traveling cache. I don't know for sure, but like the first lamp post hide, I've never found an earlier example.

That is the first one I was aware of. It was also the first micro I had heard of, though I don't think the term micro had entered the geo vernacular yet.

The Aug 4, 2001 log by Lotze uses the term "minicache", so apparently it was at least somewhat in use at the time:

Very cool cache. I'm not usually a big fan of minicaches, but this was neat

There is a very early forum post here somewhere that I stumbled across once a few years ago, where they were discussing the concept of LPC. Apparently it was a brand-new idea at the time, and everyone thought it sounded pretty cool, and that someone should do it.

Eventually the thread died down, and was resurrected a year or two later, with a post that simply said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have tried to find that thread again since, to no avail.

That thread does not exist. It is a figment of your imagination.

Initially, I had thought the same thing. For some reason I had believed that either Team Lagonda, Bittsen, or a freelance writer for WIRED magazine named John Brandon had bumped it. It was a thread started by Cache Ninja about lampost hides in 2002, and bumped in late 2007. After I did some research, I found that it simply did not exist. :D Plus bittsen had joined much to late to have instigated it.

I contacted a mole working for Groundspeak, who has been tapping their telephone lines for the FBI, who

I will refer to as simply "Deep Throat", who told me that "Cache Ninja" was a sockpuppet name for another cacher who was now a Reviewer. After the thread died down in Dec. '07, he came in and wasted everyone "Chuck Norris style" and the thread just simply disappeared... He also said that if you look really closely at the "black" helicopters, that they are actually dark green.. :laughing:

I had a single post deleted by MTN Man which was a lighthearted political poke, with an ambiguous reference to "Atlas Shrugged" and something else, and the post just VANISHED. I was told not to do it again, as the other reference I had mentioned was interpreted to have meant something completely different for some odd reason. The unintended metaphorical meaning created havoc somewhere, and *poof* it was gone...

I also noticed that the thread GEOCACHING HATES HANDICAPPED CHINDLREN originally in post #48 Jeremy had written that "Stunod had me howling" was changed to something different. Where Jeremy had written "What are you on crack?", and Stunod had replied "Geocaching doesnt care about drug users" which had prompted it,

Was gone!

NEVER underestimate those dark green helicopters... :laughing::D:D

The thread you have been asking about DOES NOT EXIST ! :):D

Neither will this thread after a few months... :D

The thread you have been asking about DOES NOT EXIST ! :laughing::laughing:

If the men in very dark blue suits in dark green helicopters can make it disappear, they can create one from scratch too if it suits their purpose. Remember, secrecy isn't just about removing information, it is also about misleading and fabrication. I probably shouldn't be saying this. You never know when th

I remember finding my first LPC, on 5-19-05, it was GCN4CP. I am surprised it took me that long to find one, since by then I had fully 4 years under my belt, although I basically took 2002 and 2003 off, and in 2004 I found quite a few, but was still "urban-averse". I thought it was funny, as well, and I still can't say I "mind" LPCs...they are what they are, quick, easy grabs to get you to go someplace new, and I usually have a newbie with me when I find them anyway, and they always get a chuckle out of them.

As for film containers, I'd have to toss this one in the hat: GC21A "Brian's Urban Mini Cache". This was a film container with (I think) a quarter and a marble and a sheet of paper rolled up and folded inside it, and hidden in the middle of a vacant gravel section of a grocery store parking lot, covered (I kid not) by a hunk of concrete. It was the worst cache I had seen up to that time, and still is one of the top 5, at least. The only ones that come close are the small ziplocs I have found that are wrapped in electrical tape, with a little sheet inside for a log. Or the pen i found that was stuck in a road sign with a piece of paper rolled up so tightly only an elf could have pulled it out. I did find a cottage cheese container a few years back, too. That was pretty crappy. But I guess the fact that in almost 9 years and 3400 finds, I can still recall the when and where of the crappy ones is some kind of props to cachers in general. I sure can't recall all the good ones, as there are far too many to count.

I won't speak to first micro or first film can, but the first virtual is still active, GC53, Rift Valley and here's the oldest multicache I can find GC38 Missouri's 2nd - Odessa Confluence . mmm, I used to have the first Event cache bookmarked, not finding it now.

GC70 is a very old Mystery cache still active.

According to Prime Suspect, his GC44E is the second oldest active micro cache in the world. The oldest is in downtown .... mmmmm, Amsterdam? dang, I forget, but give it a minute, someone with a functioning memory will know.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
I also noticed that the thread GEOCACHING HATES HANDICAPPED CHINDLREN originally in post #48 Jeremy had written that "Stunod had me howling" was changed to something different. Where Jeremy had written "What are you on crack?", and Stunod had replied "Geocaching doesnt care about drug users" which had prompted it,

Was gone!

They are still there. See posts 34 and 45.

I contacted a mole working for Groundspeak, who has been tapping their telephone lines for the FBI, who I will refer to as simply "Deep Throat", who told me that "Cache Ninja" was a sockpuppet name for another cacher who was now a Reviewer. After the thread died down in Dec. '07, he came in and wasted everyone "Chuck Norris style" and the thread just simply disappeared... He also said that if you look really closely at the "black" helicopters, that they are actually dark green.. ph34r.gif

The mysterious Cache Ninja. He was active in the NYC metro area and also had a hide in VT, but I don't think he is or ever was a reviewer. I've corresponded with him on a few occasions over the years. Sometime he responds to e-mails and sometimes he doesn't. He told me he was moving out of the area. This was about 3 years ago.

Edited by briansnat

I remember finding my first LPC, on 5-19-05, it was GCN4CP. I am surprised it took me that long to find one, since by then I had fully 4 years under my belt, although I basically took 2002 and 2003 off, and in 2004 I found quite a few, but was still "urban-averse". I thought it was funny, as well, and I still can't say I "mind" LPCs...they are what they are, quick, easy grabs to get you to go someplace new, and I usually have a newbie with me when I find them anyway, and they always get a chuckle out of them.

As for film containers, I'd have to toss this one in the hat: GC21A "Brian's Urban Mini Cache". This was a film container with (I think) a quarter and a marble and a sheet of paper rolled up and folded inside it, and hidden in the middle of a vacant gravel section of a grocery store parking lot, covered (I kid not) by a hunk of concrete. It was the worst cache I had seen up to that time, and still is one of the top 5, at least. The only ones that come close are the small ziplocs I have found that are wrapped in electrical tape, with a little sheet inside for a log. Or the pen i found that was stuck in a road sign with a piece of paper rolled up so tightly only an elf could have pulled it out. I did find a cottage cheese container a few years back, too. That was pretty crappy. But I guess the fact that in almost 9 years and 3400 finds, I can still recall the when and where of the crappy ones is some kind of props to cachers in general. I sure can't recall all the good ones, as there are far too many to count.

Good post, almost exact caching history as me, and the same sentiments!

If the men in very dark blue suits in dark green helicopters can make it disappear, they can create one from scratch too if it suits their purpose. Remember, secrecy isn't just about removing information, it is also about misleading and fabrication. I probably shouldn't be saying this. You never know when th

Oh, no! We lost Chrysalides! They're dropping like flies!

The first LPC in my area was very late 2004, a leg of a multi. They started popping up early in 2005. And yes, even then I ignored them. :laughing: I can guarantee you though that they existed on a large scale basis in places such as Nashville, Jacksonville, and Erie, Pa. in 2003.

GC21A "Brian's Urban Mini Cache" is very interesting.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Prime Suspect's Dallas micro, and it came up in another one of these threads. Here's what he says is the oldest existing micro cache in North America

The mysterious Cache Ninja. He was active in the NYC metro area and also had a hide in VT, but I don't think he is or ever was a reviewer. I've corresponded with him on a few occasions over the years. Sometime he responds to e-mails and sometimes he doesn't. He told me he was moving out of the area. This was about 3 years ago.

Also caches in Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maryland, Tennessee and even Nebraska.

His New Jersey cache was the first listed in that state and is still active - GCC8. Most of his other caches have been archived, but he still has an active listing in Tenn, Mass, NYC and another in Jersey.

He wasn't the first to list a cache in Manhattan, but placed the first in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. His remaining NYC cache is the oldest active cache in any of the five boroughs, and is the only live cache on Manhattan that was placed before 2004.

He is on the West Coast now, AFAIK.

Oh, no! We lost Chrysalides! They're dropping like flies!
Don't tell me you actually fell for tha

GC23F predates it by almost a week. It was a 35mm film can. I was the second to find it, back on February 10, 2001. It was the inspiration for "I'm Not Bluffing", which was hidden on March 11, 2001, and is still active. It was originally a 35mm film can, but a few years ago I switched it to a waterproof match container.

Was gone!

No, there was a post in which he quoted Stunod and wrote "Stunod had me howling" which is not there.

I contacted a mole working for Groundspeak, who has been tapping their telephone lines for the FBI, who I will refer to as simply "Deep Throat", who told me that "Cache Ninja" was a sockpuppet name for another cacher who was now a Reviewer. After the thread died down in Dec. '07, he came in and wasted everyone "Chuck Norris style" and the thread just simply disappeared... He also said that if you look really closely at the "black" helicopters, that they are actually dark green.. ph34r.gif

Ok, so the FBI probably lied to me. :ph34r::rolleyes:

It hasnt been the first time that somethi

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Was gone!

ind3ED! .......helLo.