Cache Muggled

Scuba4jews

I had 2 caches go missing from the same place over the summer. It was a bummer but after ascertaining the spot was being frequented by mugglettes, I had to turn my large container into a micro and make the hide more evil. It has yet to be found. :D

As DragonsWest said, sometimes you have to alter the camo. I'm hoping this one will do the trick because I really like the spot.

On the rare occasion that one of my caches goes missing, I like to try evaluating why it went missing. If I determine that it was simply bad luck, I may replace it. If I believe that it was discovered and taken by muggles, I will not replace it in the same spot, as they've already demonstrated a propensity for chicanery.

Could be once a certain muggle has found it, they look again to see if there's another, so they can have a set at home. Therefore moving a little and/or changing the container/camo may be necessary.

It happens. I placed a cache that looked like a perfectly good spot when it was raining and overcast. Unfortunately, it was not so good when the storm passed. It lasted less than 24 hours before the contents were emptied and the container was filled with dirt. I would not have minded it so much, but it was a themed cache filled with lots of items and rather expensive to replace. I don't think I ever got around to telling my wife about it . . .

The place where it was hidden is not a good place for a cache, A lot of kids often go into them.

Just chalk it up to a newbie mistake and find a better place.

Try a member only and see what happens.

Im not sure that would help, muggles dont need memberships to find the cache especially if they know where to find it!

AND I dont think a premium member or a regular member would steal a cache.

Edited by lavender5215

The place where it was hidden is not a good place for a cache, A lot of kids often go into them.

Im not sure that would help, muggles dont need memberships to find the cache especially if they know where to find it!

I'm sure the suggestion to make the cache a PM cache is based on the thought that a cache maggot won't pony up $30 per year for the privilege of knowing where more caches are. When a cache maggot is in the area, the PM option has (according to some) provided limited protection for caches that would have otherwise been messed with.

I'm sure the suggestion to make the cache a PM cache is based on the thought that a cache maggot won't pony up $30 per year for the privilege of knowing where more caches are. When a cache maggot is in the area, the PM option has (according to some) provided limited protection for caches that would have otherwise been messed with.

I completely understand that. Its just that the one the original post was about was continuously muggled at this point it will probably need to be moved altogether. I also really dont think the percentage of people who muggle caches are really scoping them out on the website, and the ones who do the percentage is small in my opinion. People are more likely to muggle in high traffic areas where it is difficult to cache on the DL and this cache is in a high traffic area.

The Sankofa 3 FDNY cache appears to have been muggled again :o . This time less then 12 hours after placement. :angry:
I see that no one DNFd the cache after you placed it -- but rather, sent you emails. So there's no way for us to see who it was that thought it wasn't there, and more important, their relative levels of experience. One thing you will want to do is note the relative experience of those who DNF a cache before assuming it really isn't there. A cache that isn't easy to find and a finder with a dozen finds to his name is far more likely to DNF your cache than someone with 1000.