Problem with memory map and GSAK

Has anyone had the same problem with version 7.6.2.45 in that an export to memory map now just provides traditional cache icons?

As 7.6.2.45 is in essence a "Full release", wonder if a setting has been lost/overwritten? First thing I'd do is check in "Tools", "Options", "General" and see where "Application Data" is defined as pointing. Then check your "memory.txt" is located in this same area.

Jon.

Has anyone had the same problem with version 7.6.2.45 in that an export to memory map now just provides traditional cache icons?

As 7.6.2.45 is in essence a "Full release", wonder if a setting has been lost/overwritten? First thing I'd do is check in "Tools", "Options", "General" and see where "Application Data" is defined as pointing. Then check your "memory.txt" is located in this same area.

Jon.

Thanks Jon, had a look and I don't have "memory.txt" file in the applications but I have something similar:

mmap.gif

This text file lists the 22 standard memory map icons.

Is this correct?

Thanks Jon, had a look and I don't have "memory.txt" file in the applications but I have something similar:

mmap.gif

This text file lists the 22 standard memory map icons.

Is this correct?

Not sure, my installation and all my GSAK help files, reference a memory.txt file in the Applications data folder. Following is from docs: -

If you would like to use the new "custom icons" that Memory Map supports, then:

1. Create all the bitmap (.bmp) files of all your required custom icons (as specified in the Memory Map documentation)

2. Create a file called "memory.txt" to tell GSAK about these custom icons, and put this file in the [Application data] folder (use "Tools=>GSAK folder finder" to find this folder) of GSAK

It is advised that you place the bitmap files in step 1 into the GSAK "UserImages" folder (a sub folder in the [Application data] folder of GSAK) so that they are saved and restored when doing a GSAK backup/restore.

The "memory.txt" file is a csv file with the following format:

code,"BMPfile","Description"

Code = Any number above 100 for Memory Map to allocate to this new icon

BMPfile = The full path to the .bmp file you have created for this icon

Description = The description you would like to use for this icon (For example, "Traditional Cache")

For example, you have created two new icons for "Traditional" and "multi" caches and placed the bitmap files in the folder "c:\geocaching\icons" The names of the files are "trad.bmp" and "multi.bmp" respectively. To be able to use these two new icons in the GSAK memory map export, create the following "memory.txt" file and put it in the install folder of GSAK

101,"c:\geocaching\icons\trad.bmp","Traditional Cache"

102,"c:\geocaching\icons\multi.bmp","Multi Cache"

Not sure where this mmap.txt file you have comes into the equation, but if you don't have it and you are reporting you are no longer getting the icons, my guess is this is the reason. Do a search for "Memory.txt" on your PC, to see if it's elsewhere (c:\program files\GSAK\memory.txt is my favourite), and if you find it, move it to the defined GSAK applications folder.

Jon

In the 'guide' wot I wrote about using GSAK, Memory Map and Lordelphs Icons I included a 'modified' memory.txt file which reduced the number of cache types to get rid of the blue dots that appear on PDA's. Might help you.

Link at the bottom of the page here.

Chris (MrB)

Hi Chris,

Memory.txt should be placed in GSAK's defined "Application data" directory in order for GSAK to find it. This is not necessarily the same as the "root folder of GSAK - normally C:\program files\gsak". To find out the Application data folder, go into "Tools", "Options", "General" and checkout the path listed under "Application data"

Cheers,

Jon.

Interesting. Memory.txt is in the normal progam folders location and the export works fine. I shall experiment.

Looking in my app data/roaming/gsak folder the icons.txt file is in the macro folder and I don't recall putting it there. I copied it into the normal progam files/gsak/macro folder. Does GSAK automatically move it for you? I wonder?

Edited to add. I moved the memory.txt file from the root GSAK program files folder to the app data/roaming older. Restarted GSAK and exported my PQ and it is fine in MM. Moved the memory.txt file back to the root and it still works. So not sure which it should be in.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

In the 'guide' wot I wrote about using GSAK, Memory Map and Lordelphs Icons I included a 'modified' memory.txt file which reduced the number of cache types to get rid of the blue dots that appear on PDA's. Might help you.

Chris (MrB)

Hi Chris,

Memory.txt should be placed in GSAK's defined "Application data" directory in order for GSAK to find it. This is not necessarily the same as the "root folder of GSAK - normally C:\program files\gsak". To find out the Application data folder, go into "Tools", "Options", "General" and checkout the path listed under "Application data"

Cheers,

Jon.

My Application Data folder is the root folder C:\program files\gsak

That's also the folder that contains memory.txt and all works fine for me

Yup, I would expect it to work. As long as memory.txt is in the folder defined to GSAK as being for application data, it will. On a fresh install of GSAK, the application data folder defaults to "c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\gsak\", rather than the install directory, such as "c:\program files\gsak\".

Jon.

Yup, I would expect it to work. As long as memory.txt is in the folder defined to GSAK as being for application data, it will. On a fresh install of GSAK, the application data folder defaults to "c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\gsak\", rather than the install directory, such as "c:\program files\gsak\".

Jon.

To continue the confusion. GSAK is pointing to my app/roaming/gsak folder as the application folder but memory.txt is in program files. As I said it works. I'll think I'll use the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy here :angry:

Chris (MrB)

Chris (MrB)

Hi Chris,

Cheers,

Jon.

I've justt had a bit of a mare getting the GSAK icons working under Windows 7. And the advice here worked. I had a completely clean install of Windows 7 and a clean install of GSAK as I was going 64-bit. I didn't want any 32-bit mumbo jumbo holding me back. The advice about the 'root folder' of GSAK and determining its location was spot on.

Thanks very much.

Scott

Chris (MrB)

Help !!

I have managed to get GSAK to change the icons for MM using the macro and when I look at the new csv file they have been changed.

I then import the csv file into Memory Map but when I look at the map they are still Blue Dots.

How do I get MM to see the new icons. When I check the properties of a dot I can seen ALL of the Caterories but there is nothing in the Symbol field. I have removed all of the symbols/icons I can.

There is however, a Geocache icon that cannot be removed.

Any ideas please.

Help !!

I have managed to get GSAK to change the icons for MM using the macro and when I look at the new csv file they have been changed.

I then import the csv file into Memory Map but when I look at the map they are still Blue Dots.

How do I get MM to see the new icons. When I check the properties of a dot I can seen ALL of the Caterories but there is nothing in the Symbol field. I have removed all of the symbols/icons I can.

There is however, a Geocache icon that cannot be removed.

Any ideas please.

The top half of the csv file has the icon definitions. If you are not seeing any icons (apart from the built in one) within memory map, then the path details for these icons is not pointing at the actual icons.

Check where you have put the icons on your PC and make a note of it. Check the CSV file and make sure it is pointing at the same place. If they are different, you need to amend the memory.txt file, as this is what tells the GSAK where to find icons when it exports via the macro.

If memory.txt is correctly pointing at the icon's location, then you have memory.txt in the wrong place. It needs to be in the directory that GSAK has defined as being for "APPLICATION DATA". This can be found by selecting "TOOLS" from GSAK's pull down menu and the bottom entry "GSAK FOLDER FINDER". Choose "Application data" from the pull down menu and click "SHOW". The folder that is displayed is where "MEMORY.TXT" is expected to be.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hmmm. One thing to try. Open MM and select Overlay-Icons. Then delete all the icons from the list. Try importing the overlay again.

Another point. In the post above yours about the location of the Memory.txt file on the PC. On my PC it works fine the way it originally was but some people can't get things to work without the memory.txt file located in the correct folder. I did move the memory.txt file to this directory and it works fine still

Try putting the memory.txt folder there and see if that helps.

Chris (MrB)

Hmmm. One thing to try. Open MM and select Overlay-Icons. Then delete all the icons from the list. Try importing the overlay again.

Another point. In the post above yours about the location of the Memory.txt file on the PC. On my PC it works fine the way it originally was but some people can't get things to work without the memory.txt file located in the correct folder. I did move the memory.txt file to this directory and it works fine still

Chris (MrB)

I have put memory.txt in both places now when I import the csv file I get manly blue dots but with a few red flags. The red flags have the category of Found Traditional. We're getting there !!

Chris (MrB)

I have put memory.txt in both places now when I import the csv file I get manly blue dots but with a few red flags. The red flags have the category of Found Traditional. We're getting there !!

Success. I needed to re-run the macro to create a new csv file. Now all i need to do is get them to my PDA !!!