Geocache Advance Directives

ThePetersTrio

A couple of recent topics and a few personal experiences has led me to think about how cachers think about and/or handle the subject of how they'd like their owned caches to be handled if they were to suddenly pass away.

I know this is sort of a morbid subject and may make people uncomfortable but let's face it, any one of us could be hit and killed by a bus today and if that (god forbid) were to happen, how would you want your caches dealt with? Is your spouse, your kid, your buddy, willing to take on the responsibility (and I'm thinking of COs with hundreds of placements out there)? Would you prefer your local geocaching organization take over and distribute them as they see fit? Would it make sense to have some sort of advance directive in place just in case? Or is it just inevitable that these caches will be archived over time when they become neglected?

Does anyone else ever think about these things or should I make an appointment to see my doctor for some meds? :)

:)

Being only 28 I'm not thinking about this yet. However, I could walk under a bus tomorrow.

My partner would adopt my caches and I would do the same for him.

If we both shuffled off this mortal coil I would put my trust in my local caching community. We are very close knit, we have out own website/forum and a hard core of us meet up regularly. Because of this I am very confident that they would divide up my caches between them as they have all enjoyed them and would like to keep them going.

It's a morbid but very important subject.

I haven't talked with anyone in my family about it and honestly don't know what I want.

Part of me says to keep them going, but if I'm gone, I don't know if my wife would be into that. My son LOVES caching, hiking and being outdoors, and I hope she'd continue taking him caching and involved in the hobby. I know the caching community likes him and would "adopt" him and help him maintain them.

But, my stronger feeling is to archive them and open the space up for someone else to place some caches. Open the spot and let someone else place something there so they can get experience the same enjoyment I get from reading everyone's logs.

We have no buses around here..........

You have a good thought though. Problem is that few think of it, fewer yet come to check out the forums and notice that you did think of it!. Perhaps GS would like to draw up some type of "policy" regarding same, but then again, perhaps not. Simply let the caching locals (who would know better that you have met your demise?) take care of it.

It just may be a good idea to get some new meds (or at least stronger ones)! :)

We have no buses around here..........

You have a good thought though. Problem is that few think of it, fewer yet come to check out the forums and notice that you did think of it!. Perhaps GS would like to draw up some type of "policy" regarding same, but then again, perhaps not. Simply let the caching locals (who would know better that you have met your demise?) take care of it.

It just may be a good idea to get some new meds (or at least stronger ones)! :)

LoL - no meds yet, unless caffeine counts. :) FWIW, I am in the medical field and we tend to think about morbid things from time to time.

Your idea about drawing up a "policy" or document perhaps is good, although I would think local caching organizations would make more sense to have them on file than GS - although GS would obviously need to know about the adoption-after-a-death scenario should something like that be in place for an individual cacher.

I haven't talked with anyone in my family about it and honestly don't know what I want.

Part of me says to keep them going, but if I'm gone, I don't know if my wife would be into that. My son LOVES caching, hiking and being outdoors, and I hope she'd continue taking him caching and involved in the hobby. I know the caching community likes him and would "adopt" him and help him maintain them.

But, my stronger feeling is to archive them and open the space up for someone else to place some caches. Open the spot and let someone else place something there so they can get experience the same enjoyment I get from reading everyone's logs.

Yes, I feel the same way. Our hides are under our team account but actually my spouse is not into it anymore so the caches would not be maintained properly. If they were adopted I would worry that they wouldn't be maintained to my standards. I would want them picked up and archived so it opens up the spots to other cachers.

I'm going to put a note in our team profile that in the case of my sudden demise I'd like our local geocaching association to pick up the caches and have them archived.

Thanks for broaching the subject TPT.

Edited by Lone R

Yes, I feel the same way. Our hides are under our team account but actually my spouse is not into it anymore so the caches would not be maintained properly. If they were adopted I would worry that they wouldn't be maintained to my standards. I would want them picked up and archived so it opens up the spots to other cachers.

I'm going to put a note in our team profile that in the case of my sudden demise I'd like our local geocaching association to pick up the caches and have them archived.

Thanks for broaching the subject TPT.

Yes we have. Depending upon the specifics, either Mrs. Team Cotati, my son or one of our geocaching buddies will pull our caches and request that they be permanently archived. We have placed our user name and login password in a safe place known to them.

Edited by Team Cotati

A couple of recent topics and a few personal experiences has led me to think about how cachers think about and/or handle the subject of how they'd like their owned caches to be handled if they were to suddenly pass away...Does anyone else ever think about these things or should I make an appointment to see my doctor for some meds? :)

:)

Thought about it. My family would have other things of concern. My caching friends would ultimatly broach the subject and my family would gladly take the offer of help and follow whatever advice they gave. If they had their own ideas my caching friends would be sure to honor them.

Whatever the outcome I'd be happy enough.

I would think there are more chaches neglected due to players no longer in the game than death. Perhaps a policy of automatic up for adoption if the CO =regisers no finds in 12 consecutive months might be more productive.

While we agree with your first point, auto adoption could only really work if Groundspeak owned the caches--which do not and will not and go to great lengths to clarify that they do not. As much as we don't like the results of no-adoption-without-owners-consent, we agree that overall, it is necessary policy. Besides, cache neglect and no finds are only loosely connected. We can recall a specific cache that was in great shape, but we were still the only find in a period of nearly 22 months.

Nothwithstanding, to address your point and the original issue, could there be a way to have cache owners VOLUNTARILY give Groundspeak consent to have their caches adopted out under certain conditions (that is consent before the need for adoption arises)?