What Mantra Do You Use to Deal With Inconsiderate Cachers?

they're nearly all ammo cans way the heck out in some swamp.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(some cachers really are very simple)

Have we met? :rolleyes::blink::)

Do you have a good mantra to share?

What? Now I need a mantra? Sheesh!! First they tell me I need a GPSr. Then they tell me I need a premium membership. Then they tell me I need GSAK. Then they tell me I need a PDA. Now I need a mantra on top of all that stuff? Where am I gonna put the darn thing? :D:):D

:rolleyes:

Let me make it clear - I don't think all micros or hard-to-replace caches should be for premium members. My point was, if the OP was concerned about *his* caches, he could do that if he felt it would help..

..a

I understand... I was just making an appeal to the comment about premium member who pay enough to care (paraphrase.) This is not directed toward you, personally. It was brought up in another post as well.

I was offended the first time I tried to open a cache page and it said it was for "Premium members only." I was just making a general appeal to all cachers to please not practice this strategy. Sure $30/year isn't much, but everyone's tight right now. And I'm not convinced that it is going to sift out any of the trouble makers.

In the end for this situation though it would seem that it really doesn't make a difference. I've gone back over my logs and the only people who have been finding my caches are all premium members anyway.

Have to agree that it really goes both ways.

But a lot of cache owners put their caches in high muggle spots and get mad when they get muggled.

I get your point but to be clear that's not what I meant nor was it what I was doing.

In an urban area like this you're going to be hard pressed to find places with zero muggle activity. For mine I was talking of two kinds of situations (specific caches actually) where in one case the object that I placed it behind gave a natural screening from any muggle that might be looking so putting it on the other side would then "force" someone to do it where/when someone may well be looking. That just seems like common sense (yeah, have heard about that not being very common and some not having much sense) to not put it back on the exposed side.

And in the case of the frisbee golf...we have lots of shared usage things here --- schools that share parking lots and land with parks, frisbee golf courses that have walking trails. So if you ruled all of those out you'd lose a lot of great spots -- especially since they tend to be places that many people wouldn't have otherwise gone to so you're bringing them to a new place. In the case of the frisbee golf the issue was that despite posting that you might not be able to get to this cache during peak frisbee golf hours, someone went ahead and got seen by muggles (evidenced by their log entry saying they got hit in the head with a frisbee!). So to me that seems to be akin to a cache that says it is available at night and the description suggests doing it after hours...then it's probably not the wisest to go ahead and do it in the middle of the day just because you want to log the find. Just seems to make sense to me to actually follow the CO's provided information.

Hide caches that requires a long walk to get to. This IMO will eliminate about 80% of the cachers from looking for it :D . For most cachers it seems like 1/4 of a mile is a long walk these days :rolleyes:

And like has been said before, if you hide a cache in an area will lots of muggles you are going to have problems. That is just the way it is.

Hide caches that requires a long walk to get to. This IMO will eliminate about 80% of the cachers from looking for it :D . For most cachers it seems like 1/4 of a mile is a long walk these days :rolleyes:

And like has been said before, if you hide a cache in an area will lots of muggles you are going to have problems. That is just the way it is.

Sounds like you are looking down on those cachers who don't like to go hiking.

Hide caches that requires a long walk to get to. This IMO will eliminate about 80% of the cachers from looking for it :) . For most cachers it seems like 1/4 of a mile is a long walk these days :)

Sounds like you are looking down on those cachers who don't like to go hiking.

No that is not the case. I know some cacher that can not do long hikes for health reasons.

But looking at the caches that I own, very few of my caches that require walking any distance get found. The drive up caches (like most of yours) get found on a more regular basis. That is just the way it is with geocachong now.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

this reminds me.....we need to get to VA Beach and run up our numbers! that area is full of caches!

VA Beach is? Hmmm, that's not that far from me. I have some vacay let. Hmmm...honey, we're going to VA.

Y'all come on down, lots of caches to go around here! :)

I on the other hand am headed to Tampa next week and hope to get some caching in before the light fades each day!

No that is not the case. I know some cacher that can not do long hikes for health reasons.

But looking at the caches that I own, very few of my caches that require walking any distance get found. The drive up caches (like most of yours) get found on a more regular basis. That is just the way it is with geocachong now.

Although your post seems a little judjmental, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. Though I do have a couple "park and grab" caches, the others, while near transportation, are an exercise of the mind, not necessarily the body but I even have a couple that will challenge your body a little too.

Make no mistake of it. Though none of my caches, yet, require a long hike, there is a fair amount of diversity in them (as far as I can tell)

Edited by bittsen

quick meditation.. ***please do not physically act out only to be done in mind***

visualize yourself all alone in a mountain valley

gurgling beside you is a nice peaceful stream

you see your hands moving through the clear water, they seem to be holding something

the object comes in to focus

it is the face of (insert inconsiderate cacher here)

you notice your hands are around his/her neck holding it in the stream

right as you feel they are almost out of breath you bring them up and allow them a breath of air before returning there face under the water

ahh absolute silence and peace

repeate dunking till stress is gone

now open your eyes and feel how relaxed you are..

it has worked for me in maaaannnnyyyy situations

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

Although your post seems a little judjmental, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. Though I do have a couple "park and grab" caches, the others, while near transportation, are an exercise of the mind, not necessarily the body but I even have a couple that will challenge your body a little too.

Make no mistake of it. Though none of my caches, yet, require a long hike, there is a fair amount of diversity in them (as far as I can tell)

Okay, I just have to throw this out as it seems that this thread has definitely addressed some suggestions to do away with the need for a mantra altogether...

Just for the heck of it the other day, I google-mapped Paris, France, just to see what caching looks like in another part of the world. I was amazed to find that almost all of their caches are Mystery caches. Perhaps, being such an urban area with few muggle-free places to hide caches, they have learned something that we haven't? Perhaps we could take a cue from them?

Yes, more work up front, but maybe fewer headaches in the long-run?

Okay, I just have to throw this out as it seems that this thread has definitely addressed some suggestions to do away with the need for a mantra altogether...

Just for the heck of it the other day, I google-mapped Paris, France, just to see what caching looks like in another part of the world. I was amazed to find that almost all of their caches are Mystery caches. Perhaps, being such an urban area with few muggle-free places to hide caches, they have learned something that we haven't? Perhaps we could take a cue from them?

Yes, more work up front, but maybe fewer headaches in the long-run?

That's sorta along the lines of what I was thinking. But I was thinking that maybe the OP needs to move to a better area. :)

I know that I've seen my fair share of things that upset me, but in 7 years of caching, I don't think I've seen the extent in a short period of time that the OP has. Perhaps I've been blessed, perhaps it's just chance, perhaps it's where I live, but the problems I see seem to be spread out a lot more then the problems they are seeing. :)

My caching partner and I were discussing this very subject. Should we put out a power trail down Bergenline Avenue, through North Bergen, Guttenberg, West New York and Union City? It would probably up the number of finds. We decided against it. We like out caches. (About a six-mile hike for the three I put out today...) Yes, we have some with easy terrain. But they have very pretty views. The two hike hike caches get very few visits. Oh, well. We like them. And that's what counts.

You meant 40 seconds didn't you?

the guy whose cache it was said 20 minutes for him to wait for the traffic to clear on that particular intersection. He timed it himself and wondered why people wouldn't wait for it.

There is a slight chance (I'm tired right now and can't think) that it was 20 minutes to take out of it's place and replace it, but I don't think so.

Even if that is the case, how many of us want to wait for 20 minutes for a micro at a signal.

I think it was 20 min in and 20 0ut though. No, not seconds.

Okay, I did it. Put out a cache, and also put out some bait. I put out a mini bison sort of near the actual cache and have a log in it which clearly says, "Congratulations on not finding the cache! First to Fail (FTF): " and then spaces to sign. No Groundspeak logo or language, just a plain slip of pager with the above note. And this morning...yupper. Got one. Signed the log, name, date and time and then posted to the online log to take credit or the FTF.

Since he was an hour later asking for a clue on another one of mine, I gave that and then forwarded him a pic of his having signed a bogus log and let him know that he didn't find the cache.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We have often felt the same but up until now have been afraid of expressing those feelings openly.

Wonderful.

Idiots. Rude, inconsiderate idiots.

This is about the cache that I'd referred to above -- last week while I was out of town a cacher took it upon himself to go ahead and move the cache. Despite the cache description which said that it was available from the sidewalk and without having to go on to the property, a cacher decided that he apparently knew better than I did about where to locate my cache so he went ahead and moved it from that location to another location well inside the property (not at all findable from the sidewalk). And then he actually posted a log entry to say that he'd gone ahead and moved the cache. (Footnote: This is a cacher who placed a cache about 20 feet from a school's playground, and then defended that -- still active cache!)

Meanwhile the property manager said that he came out and found one cacher trying to yank on the sprinkler head -- of a working sprinkler which happened to be in the vicinity of GZ (but not at it), and later found another about waist deep inside of a hedge (broke branches, etc.). All most likely caused by the cacher who decided that he had a better location for my cache -- and that then caused others (who shouldn't have done what they did) to frantically do the damage they did.

So I just now removed the cache and will have to deactivate the listing while I try to decide what if anything I can still do...and then find out if the property owner will even consider letting me try something else.

I would say the best cure for this is a deep breath and clear your mind.

As for the people who stated that "this is just a game" they are right it is a game. But there is a right way and a wrong way to play the game. Cachers sometimes get caught up in the moment about themselves (stats, FTF, or "get as many caches in such a short period of time as possible") and don't take the moment to remember that these caches are created for everyone to enjoy and that the CO took some time and effort to place this. Lets not even get into the respect the land and property surrounding the cache.

So anyhow indeed these cachers you describe appear to be inconsiderate but it is no reason to get all flustered and a headache over. Try to solve the problem as best as you can (which appears to be exactly what you are doing) and let it go.

Cache On!