Bring virtual caches back to Geocaching.com!

379Jonti379

I joined Geocaching in March this year, I am a fan off special cache types such as virtuals and earth caches. Sure Waymarking.com does a good job but when you post something on Waymarking.com you dont feel like your placing a virtual cache because it does not get put on the Geocaching.com map so you dont get any finds... I think that they should bring Virtual caches back to Geocaching.com so people can continue to enjoy them!

I joined Geocaching in March this year, I am a fan off special cache types such as virtuals and earth caches. Sure Waymarking.com does a good job but when you post something on Waymarking.com you dont feel like your placing a virtual cache because it does not get put on the Geocaching.com map so you dont get any finds... I think that they should bring Virtual caches back to Geocaching.com so people can continue to enjoy them!

This subject is brought up practically weekly. The answer is always the same - NO. TPTB has said NO, the reviewers have said NO, and 99% of the people here have said NO. Do I think there is a chance virtuals will ever come back? The odds are somewhere between zero and not going to happen. You can ask the mods to close this thread now.

Jim

Please check this recent thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=233245

Which is on this subject and do what you can to not double post a new thread. I understand computers can be fickle... ;)

MYater

I'll drop by to vote my usual "NO" for this request.

A geocache is a container hidden somewhere.

A virtual was just a somewhere. Now we call it a Waymark.

That's my thought as well. And, using that logic, I would love to see any existing non-physical cache archived. I have never understood how a virtual, webcam or earthcache even qualifies as a cache. There is nothing to find, just a place to visit. (I know this view will not be popular with most of the people here).

I'll drop by to vote my usual "NO" for this request.

A geocache is a container hidden somewhere.

That's my thought as well. And, using that logic, I would love to see any existing non-physical cache archived. I have never understood how a virtual, webcam or earthcache even qualifies as a cache. There is nothing to find, just a place to visit. (I know this view will not be popular with most of the people here).

Not always...

Though I really do enjoy Earthcaches...I would like to see them phased out just as Virtuals and Webcams are being phased out on the caching side of the site especially given the importance/clarification of the container requirement...

...but, I digest...

...A geocache is a container hidden somewhere.

Ironicly you rather make my case. There is room for waymarks in the world of caching as well. They do capture and element of what makes caching caching. It's not just the box, and it's not just the hunt. Those are pieces of the bigger thing. Plus we all enjoy different aspects in differenet ways. I have no use for a benchmark (but there is room for those in caching as well) but others do.

The bigger sence is the location based quest and the feeling of success when you meet the challenge whatever that is. Hence a challenge cache isn't a cache at all, but it ties in the quest and effott and challeng giving you a sence of accomplishment when you rise to the challenge. If all we got was an icon in our profile out of a challenge and no cache at all...they would still be enjoyed.

Lastly a waymark no how matter how you slice it isn't a virtual. It's a different thing with some common elements.

...A geocache is a container hidden somewhere.

Ironicly you rather make my case. There is room for waymarks in the world of caching as well. They do capture and element of what makes caching caching. It's not just the box, and it's not just the hunt. Those are pieces of the bigger thing. Plus we all enjoy different aspects in differenet ways. I have no use for a benchmark (but there is room for those in caching as well) but others do.

The bigger sence is the location based quest and the feeling of success when you meet the challenge whatever that is. Hence a challenge cache isn't a cache at all, but it ties in the quest and effott and challeng giving you a sence of accomplishment when you rise to the challenge. If all we got was an icon in our profile out of a challenge and no cache at all...they would still be enjoyed.

Lastly a waymark no how matter how you slice it isn't a virtual. It's a different thing with some common elements.

Imagine that you never heard of geocaching. Somebody invents a site called Waymarking. In Waymarking coordinates are posted for location based quests. Groups of individuals are propose categories of quests and once they have gone through a peer review they are posted on the Waymarking site. Next individuals submit the coordinates and descriptions for individual quests is a given category. The category management team reviews these submissions to make sure they comply with the guidelines for quests in that category. Finally others may peruse the quests in the categories they are interested in and by location and can go to the location and meet the challenge that has been put forward.

One day Dave decides to create a new category. For this category a person would hide a container at a location and provide the coordinates. The challenge would be to find the container and sign the log.

In reality geocaches are a kind of waymark, not the other way around. So are EarthCaches and WebCams. Virtuals might be a kind of waymark too. But people are so all over the board as to why they enjoy virtual caches that they might be better divided up among several Waymarking categories - Best Kept Secrets, Historical Locations, Unusual Objects. etc.

It is simply a fluke that Geocaching.com preceded Waymarking and that some challenges and quest that would be better handled as their own category/game were shoe-horned into the Geocaching.com world. Had we started with Waymarking.com we'd have a generic way to define new location based quests and less confusion about what belongs where.

Edited by tozainamboku

It is simply a fluke that Geocaching.com preceded Waymarking and that some challenges and quest that would be better handled as their own category/game were shoe-horned into the Geocaching.com world. Had we started with Waymarking.com we'd have a generic way to define new location based quests and less confusion about what belongs where.

:( Smart person.

If that were the case, I'd never be be geocaching either. Can you say "Boring"?

What would really be nice is some sort of expert system put in place in the forums to analyze message topics and automatically suggest "maybe you can find your answer here"
Cool. Then they can just turn it on for every thread and we can all be saved the trouble of posting. We can just read the bot discussions!
One day Dave decides to create a new category. For this category a person would hide a container at a location and provide the coordinates. The challenge would be to find the container and sign the log.
It'll never work! Waymarking IS ABOUT VISITING PLACES, not about finding stupid Tupperware with wet 3x5 spiral notebooks. Who would go for that idea? Let's keep Waymarking focused on visiting places and not branch off into incompatible ideas like putting ammo cans near bridges.

Edward

"Waymarking IS ABOUT VISITING PLACES" Not really, but why quibble.

Actually, Waymarking is about web site developement. It is an alternative vehicle for the company to sell advertising and make money. Which I hope they do, otherwise we would not have a Geocaching.com.Distinguish your hobby from the reality of operating a DOT COM business. I am sure the web site business operators are actively seeking other business models and related activities to try and increase revenue and hopefully profit. Wherigo ?? might have been one such avenue.

Edited by Packanack

"Waymarking IS ABOUT VISITING PLACES" Not really, but why quibble.

Actually, Waymarking is about web site developement. It is an alternative vehicle for the company to sell advertising and make money. Which I hope they do, otherwise we would not have a Geocaching.com.Distinguish your hobby from the reality of operating a DOT COM business. I am sure the web site business operators are actively seeking other business models and related activities to try and increase revenue and hopefully profit. Wherigo ?? might have been one such avenue.

Really, how much advertising is on that site? ZERO at least at this time, however there are many places listed to visit.

Edited by BruceS