Attaching earth magnets to nanos?

team5150

Yup, if possible use 1 or 2 thin ones inside with a dot of Loctite Black Max or similar. For bigger external magnets (like a 1/2 dia x 1/8 thk one) I have found a thin sleeve that fits over the OD of the magnet and nano provides plenty of surface area to keep the magnet from breaking loose. Of course it helps to have access to small thinwall steel tubing.

I was looking for anyones hard-earned stories of the best way of attaching an earth magnet to a nano container? What sort of glue/epoxy works the best?

Are you talking about re-attaching the magnet that the "Mr. Magneto" type of nano container comes with? I know that some brands do tend to lose their magnets, so I like to put a drop of superglue on them before putting them out. If you use the thin stuff instead of the "gel" or "gap filler" variety, capillary action will suck enough of it down inside to make a pretty good bond.

PS: They are "rare-earth" magnets, not "earth" magnets. The "rare-earth" part comes from some of the metals used in the alloy

I was trying a few different glues this weekend to rig up plastic containers with some magnets harvested from old hard drives.

Nothing worked! But luckily, a few of the magnets were bended to metal straps when the drive was assembled, so I was able to bolt the metal strap through the side of the plastic container and then seal around the holes.

Those magnets from Lee Valley hardware with the hole in the middle are looking like a good addition to my Christmas List for some wintertime tinkering...

I was looking for anyones hard-earned stories of the best way of attaching an earth magnet to a nano container? What sort of glue/epoxy works the best?
For the two I have out, I've had very good luck with a single rare earth magnet INSIDE the nano with just a dab of RTV (silicone seal) on the top. The standard nano log fits fine on top of it, and the silicone isn't particular about the weather, and doesn't crack with temperature changes.
For the two I have out, I've had very good luck with a single rare earth magnet INSIDE the nano with just a dab of RTV (silicone seal) on the top. The standard nano log fits fine on top of it, and the silicone isn't particular about the weather, and doesn't crack with temperature changes.

I agree, silicone usually works the best. It (as an adhesive) survives the expansion/contraction of the adhering surfaces better than most other adhesives.

The one drawback is the cure time is quite long. Week or two before you want to place it.

The one drawback is the cure time is quite long. Week or two before you want to place it.

Agreed that a couple of days are needed. To clarify for others - the stuff won't cure very well if you seal it up by putting the top on the nano soon after you apply the goo. It's easy enough to tell when it's ready. When it completely stops smelling like vinegar, wait another 24 hours and you can load up the log and go. Edited by ecanderson

This is the age old method my grandma passed down to me. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness - but it sounds like it should work...

1. Put nano and small magnet in ziploc baggy.

2. Add equal amounts of epoxy resin and hardener.

3. Seal baggy, and squeeze to mix epoxy.

4. Place to one side, and retrieve ammo can from suitable storage cupboard.

5. Throw hardened lump of epoxy containing nano in garbage, and hide ammo can instead.

:) :) :)

hide ammo can instead.

My magnets disintegrated.

I had a dozen rare earth neodymium magnets, which have a metal shell coating (steel, I think). These have been stuck to a refrigerator door (indoors, in the kitchen) for about 3 years. Recently, half of them split open -- the plating flaked apart, and the magnets became super fragile. Now it’s impossible to pick up one of those magnets without breaking it into several pieces. Very strange.

If I’d used that batch of magnets on a nano cache outdoors, they might have failed much sooner. If I ever try a magnet cache, I’ll add a coating to the magnets (paint? epoxy?). Even if it’s a hot/cold thermal expansion thing, perhaps the magnet would still hold together.

Edited by kunarion

hide ammo can instead.

I had a dozen rare earth neodymium magnets, which have a metal shell coating (steel, I think). These have been stuck to a refrigerator door (indoors, in the kitchen) for about 3 years. Recently, half of them split open -- the plating flaked apart, and the magnets became super fragile. Now it's impossible to pick up one of those magnets without breaking it into several pieces. Very strange.

If I'd used that batch of magnets on a nano cache outdoors, they might have failed much sooner. If I ever try a magnet cache, I'll add a coating to the magnets (paint? varnish?). Even if it's a hot/cold thermal expansion thing, perhaps the magnet would still hold together.

Rare-earth magnets do corrode very quickly when exposed to the elements, provided they are not plated, or if, as apparently happened in your case, the plating itself flaked.

I had a dozen rare earth neodymium magnets, which have a metal shell coating (steel, I think). These have been stuck to a refrigerator door (indoors, in the kitchen) for about 3 years. Recently, half of them split open -- the plating flaked apart, and the magnets became super fragile. Now it’s impossible to pick up one of those magnets without breaking it into several pieces. Very strange.

If I’d used that batch of magnets on a nano cache outdoors, they might have failed much sooner. If I ever try a magnet cache, I’ll add a coating to the magnets (paint? epoxy?). Even if it’s a hot/cold thermal expansion thing, perhaps the magnet would still hold together.

I got some epoxy coated neodymium magnets a while back. They're still holding up well - it's been over 5 years now. The main selling point is that the epoxy coating is better for gluing than the nickel plated ones.

I got a bunch of nickel plated ones too, and they didn't flake either, but they're much thicker than the epoxy coated ones I got.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that you can get epoxy coated magnets for about the same price as nickel plated ones, though the variety is more limited.