gpsmap60csx

Thefukowis

I have an Etrex vista and it shows a consistent 18-20 foot accuracy and I Just purchased a 60csx and it pulls in 11 sats with good bar strength and it shows anywhere between 35-65 feet.I'm a little dismayed that the csx gets poorer apparent accuracy under same conditions side by side- although who really knows which one is correct.I have never seen the csx under 30 feet,did I just get a "bad" unit? What are other 60csx owners accuracy? I know 30 feet is plenty accurate for caching,but getting a little closer would be helpful.

I have an Etrex vista and it shows a consistent 18-20 foot accuracy and I Just purchased a 60csx and it pulls in 11 sats with good bar strength and it shows anywhere between 35-65 feet.I'm a little dismayed that the csx gets poorer apparent accuracy under same conditions side by side- although who really knows which one is correct.I have never seen the csx under 30 feet,did I just get a "bad" unit? What are other 60csx owners accuracy? I know 30 feet is plenty accurate for caching,but getting a little closer would be helpful.

Yes your 60CX has no "accuracy", normal "accuracy" should be below one rod, depending on temperature !

Edited by Suscrofa

Your kids call themselves that caching name? :D

How long have you allowed your 60 to gather info? Are you using the latest updates? I doubt you've got a bad unit, I don't know what your problem is, but I'm doubting it's a bad unit.

It has the latest upgrade,fresh batteries,clear sky ,at least six sats with max bar strength,waas enabled and if I sit real still for a full five minutes I get maybe 25 ft accuracy! I may purchase an external plug in attenna to see if it helps.As for the name if you say correctly (foo cow weee) they are none the wiser :rolleyes:

Check and make sure power save mode is turned off. If you have it in power save mode the accuracy will suffer as the unit limits the number of times the sats are checked to save power.

A related issue:

The blue "confidence circle" gets a whole lot bigger if you only have the basemap installed, or only have transparent maps installed over the basemap. The circle could have a 100' radius or larger with just the base map. Load a quality non-transparent map and its size will drop.

Your kids call themselves that caching name? :rolleyes:

How long have you allowed your 60 to gather info? Are you using the latest updates? I doubt you've got a bad unit, I don't know what your problem is, but I'm doubting it's a bad unit.

It has the latest upgrade,fresh batteries,clear sky ,at least six sats with max bar strength,waas enabled and if I sit real still for a full five minutes I get maybe 25 ft accuracy! I may purchase an external plug in attenna to see if it helps.As for the name if you say correctly (foo cow weee) they are none the wiser :wacko:

:D

I've noticed that with my Nuvi when I sit still the accuracy drops off. If I am moving around the accuracy rating goes up. I am in the habit of arriving on site and walking a short grid pattern of approx 10 yards in a given direction...turning 90 degrees and doing the same. My accuracy rating usually rises and gets me on the right track.