Blank pages ... ?

v34

almost every day i get blank pages on gc.com ,

http://www.geocaching.com/my/myfriends.aspx

and all cachedescriptions pages ....and all of an sudden they work.

i have tested 3 different webbrowsers, i have tested two different computers, i have tested from two different isp:s.

no, i dont use spoilersync or any other updating software against gc.com.

im getting really annoyed , any other having the same issues ?

almost every day i get blank pages on gc.com ,

http://www.geocaching.com/my/myfriends.aspx

and all cachedescriptions pages ....and all of an sudden they work.

i have tested 3 different webbrowsers, i have tested two different computers, i have tested from two different isp:s.

no, i dont use spoilersync or any other updating software against gc.com.

im getting really annoyed , any other having the same issues ?

Anyone else in Sweden encountering the same problem? I wonder if your TCP connection is being reset. Not much help, all I can say is that with many combos of browsers, PCs and ISPs, I haven't seen that.

Something else I've seen is that opening up too many pages at one time will trigger a throttle on the site, giving a blank page.

This is a long-standing problem. And not always triggered be 'opening too many pages'.

too many pages, in too short a period of time. It's variable to throw off web scraping software.

Something else I've seen is that opening up too many pages at one time will trigger a throttle on the site, giving a blank page.

This is a long-standing problem. And not always triggered be 'opening too many pages'.

too many pages, in too short a period of time. It's variable to throw off web scraping software.

any news? i still have this "issue" ..... whats the point of paying for a premium membership if i cant use the services ????

does the Groundspeak people read this forum ?

Are you on a shared IP address, or behind a firewall or proxy server? If multiple geocachers are hitting the site, and using the same IP, it will appear as one user.

just an ordinary broadband setup , one of swedens biggest isp:s (telia) , but i get the same issues at my work, on another computer and another internetprovider.

at home im alone ...at work im the only cacher ... :))

i have tested three different webbrowsers ... two different isp.s ...

whats the point of paying for a premium membership if i cant use the services ????

So you can make snide, indignation posts on the forum?

cute ...

im used to get an professional answer from the firm who is getting my money ...are there any personel from Groundspeak here ??

is this the official way to report errors ?

Have to disagree with Motorcycle Mama on this one. This problem has been around for a long time. A single user on a single computer that knows how to use a web browser can usually pretty trivially trigger this 'problem'. Rather than returning a 'too busy, try again later' (500?) error as mandated by the HTTP specs, the sites designers return blank pages.

I sort of get the defensive nature of self-preservation kicking in to protect the site from scrapers and such, but with such a low threshold, I don't agree that a blank page is the way to express the concept of "can't cope, so we're shedding your burden".

im used to get an professional answer from the firm who is getting my money ...are there any personel from Groundspeak here ??

is this the official way to report errors ?

To Groundspeak's credit, I think they try to respond, but forums don't always get a quick response. I think a direct email might be in order.

It's very odd that you are getting this behavior both at home and at work. Aside from that, it sounds exactly like a throttling problem. I suppose it is possible that your ISP communicates to the USA via some kind of NAT, but that almost defies belief.

Here's something to try: Check out the IP address that gc.com sees for you from both your home and office computers. Use IP Chicken, which I am pretty sure is not located in Sweden. Make sure the IP addresses for home and work are different, and include them in your email to Groundspeak describing the problem.

I'm with robertlipe on disliking the nonstandard way that throttling is approached, though I have trained myself to avoid it by not opening too many tabs.

Here's something to try: Check out the IP address that gc.com sees for you from both your home and office computers. Use IP Chicken, which I am pretty sure is not located in Sweden. Make sure the IP addresses for home and work are different, and include them in your email to Groundspeak describing the problem.

There's an easier way, and it shows exactly what Groundspeak sees as your IP address.

Try to send any Groundspeak user a message through their profile page. At the bottom of the screen it should show your IP address (where it warns you it'll be logged).

Here's the link to send fizzymagic a message :D

http://www.geocaching.com/email/?guid=5275...00-5b8130e257b9

Edited by Chrysalides

The only instance of geocaching.com serving a blank page should be when too many pages are opened at once, as many have already said. If it were an error the page would tell you. I hear you saying you aren't opening multiple pages so I'm at a bit of a loss.

We're working on a better page to serve up to site scrapers, so when this is released you'll at least know if that is the problem. For now I'm happy to hear you managed to alleviate the problem.

I occasionally had this problem before, but after the update I have it all the time. Most of the time I get only a blank page when I try to read a listing, perform a search or write a log. Sometimes I get one page, but after that only blank pages. On rare occasions I get more than one page.

This morning I tried to open some of my own listings. I hadn't visited geocaching.com since yesterday evening. I could open one listing, then I got only blank pages. Then I left geocaching.com, deleted all cookies from geocaching.com, released my public ip address, restarted Firefox, requested a new ip address, logged in to geocaching.com, opened one listing, tried to open a second one and got a blank page again.

I'm beginning to be fed up with this dysfunctional web site.

Edited by fairhair