ANORGRAM HINT.

Burton wanderers

You don't even have to add hints. If it bothers you some people use them, don't give them.

However, if a person is new they would be the most likely to need a hint, and the least likely to be paperless. It is already hard enough to decode the hint in the field, why make it harder?

Just my take on this.

you'll have better luck using anagrams if you spell the words in the hint correctly.

you should have someone proofread for you.

when i want to read the hint, i do not wish to have it be another level of puzzle. if you do not wish to provide hints, fine.

either give hints or don't. i don't want to have to sort through cute little puzzles or backwards writing to get the hint. if i need the provided hint, i just want to read it.

if you have a problem with people using the hint, don't give one.

if i see a cache with cutesy obscured hint, i don't wait until i'm in the field and need a hint to read it; i read it before i even leave the house.

if your intent by obscuring the hint is to try to control WHEN i use the hint and make me look first, your little control issues are actually having the opposite effect.

And then you have some annoying people who put their hint in backwards! B) Seems popular in North Carolina and Tennessee (not to mention Florida). Then there was the one cacher who coded his hint in ROT13 (or whatever ROT we use here.). That was actually pretty funny once I figured it out.

Answer: Nope. No rules against anagrams.

huh?

if you take something in ROT13 and put it in ROT13, you get plaintext. so his hint was already decoded?

or just backwards?

And then you have some annoying people who put their hint in backwards! B) Seems popular in North Carolina and Tennessee (not to mention Florida). Then there was the one cacher who coded his hint in ROT13 (or whatever ROT we use here.). That was actually pretty funny once I figured it out.

Answer: Nope. No rules against anagrams.

huh?

if you take something in ROT13 and put it in ROT13, you get plaintext. so his hint was already decoded?

or just backwards?

It would look plaintext on the cache page if you didn't have it decodded... but it would be codded on the GPS or when you use the "decode" link.

Since many paperless devices decode the hint automatically, I write my hints backwards.

Actually, the hints in the GPX are not encoded. The application / device will need to explicitly encode the hints.

If you want it to be rot13 encoded under all circumstances (even on the web page), put it inside the square brackets already uuencoded. No more one click decoding on the web page, and device will show it encoded.

For example, if you want to say it is magnetic, it'll look like this:

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[zntargvp]

Clicking on decrypt will still show zntargvp, since text inside the square brackets are not touched when encrypting / decrypting.

Personally, I think it is annoying, but as cache owner you should be able to decide how you want to present hints - or even not give hints.

Oh, for hints, anything goes (as long as it is printable in the first place). Just ask yourself if it would annoy you if you see it in a cache you're searching for.

Edited by Chrysalides