False Bug Logging, Finding, Dropping, Dipping

team squidword

Ok, Im at my wits end, I have a Travel Bug Hotel in my front yard. I have never had a problem with any traveller placed here UNTILL this cacher keeps Dropping, Dipping Dunking travelers into the cache and HAS NEVER actually been to the cache! No signature in the log book, No sig card, and most concernably no bug was actually left! This has happened 8 times now & I have written to the offending cacher only to me met with more fraudulent drops dunks etc.... Other than closing the hotel , Any Ideas???

PS I did call Groundspeak and no help was offered.

Hmmm, well you're gonna have to give me a bit more to go on. Never a good idea to call someone out in the forums but if you emailed an example I might be able to get a better idea of what's going on.

After that we can discuss this bad habit you've developed of adding things to other people's TB and owning a cache with trade restrictions.

tsk, tsk.

Ok, Im at my wits end

(snip)

Other than closing the hotel , Any Ideas???

Yeah, I have an idea...

This is offensive to you because you are choosing to let it become offensive. You've done as much as is reasonable to fix the situation and asside from archiving your cache in a petulant fit there isn't anything left you can do.

So... Chill out and let it go. Don't let it impact your own enjoyment of geocaching.

Edited by Arrow42

I'm not so sure the Dropper the OP is referring to is as innocent as some may think. I'd like to see some details, but as I said before - off line, so we are within posting guidelines.

I already set the trap for the other things I'd like to discuss.

One thing at a time here.

I don't disagree... but Groundspeak has been notified, so that's the end of the road as far as I know.

I'm not so sure the Dropper the OP is referring to is as innocent as some may think. I'd like to see some details, but as I said before - off line, so we are within posting guidelines.

I already set the trap for the other things I'd like to discuss.

One thing at a time here.

I don't disagree... but Groundspeak has been notified, so that's the end of the road as far as I know.

I wouldn't be asking for details if I thought that was it.

Ahh. BlueDuece always does good work. Checking the OP's TB Hotel site inspired me to do the same. His restrictions on traveler's violate GC guidelines ane made me think of the old adage "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I have a TB Hotel and the final line is "Treat it like a buffet. Take all you want. Log all you take.)

Maybe the guy just uses site as a convenient one when he grabs bugs to get them local mileage before going somewhere else. Seems kind of harmless to me. Although if I was doing that I would delete the log immediately.

Ahh. BlueDuece always does good work. Checking the OP's TB Hotel site inspired me to do the same. His restrictions on traveler's violate GC guidelines ane made me think of the old adage "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I have a TB Hotel and the final line is "Treat it like a buffet. Take all you want. Log all you take.)

Maybe the guy just uses site as a convenient one when he grabs bugs to get them local mileage before going somewhere else. Seems kind of harmless to me. Although if I was doing that I would delete the log immediately.

"Please log in your bugs and trade evenly." is not a violation of the guidelines. It's phrased as a request and not a demand.

I understand that the statement "Please log in your bugs and trade evenly" could definitely be perceived as a restriction (I much prefer "take all you want, log all you take"). And I would really recommend that you change your statement:

"Each bug / coin will receive a new bag, a new bug / mission sheet..."

to say something like "each bug/coin will receive a new bag & new mission sheet with the owner's permission" (and then, of course, make sure you ask).

Other than those two objections, I think that your idea for the hotel's setup and organization is awesome. What a great idea! I really hope you can get some resolution to the dipping/logging. You can, of course, always delete the person's logs -- but that doesn't actually change the mileage on the travelers themselves.

What did the dipper say, specifically, when he or she responded? Is the dipper under the impression that, say, bug hotels are kosher for this kind of activity?

(I'll be very interested in following what Blue Deuce is able to find out, too. This is an interesting situation.)