Come on, there must be something positive you can say...

CanUK_TeamFitz

The reason that your analogy failed is because ice cream shops would never sell 'cat poo' flavored ice cream.

Unless you have a vastly different definition of "analogy" then the rest of us, mine did not fail. B)

By 'fail', I meant that your analogy didn't fit the scenario that you were comparing it to. It didn't work. It wasn't apt. In other words, it failed. Edited by sbell111

I see a lot of negative comments in the forums about micros (and nanos).

Seems micros are fair game for abuse... but there must be something, anything positive that can be said - even 35mm film containers...

If you're in a foreign country, or "foreign" state, on business and you don't have time to spare to rent a kayak, sharpen your khukuri, slap on the mozzie deterrent and hike out 10 miles to the nearest alligator infested swamp to find an ammo can then a micro 200 yards from your hotel fits the bill exactly for a smiley in a brand new country/state.

MrsB B)

I enjoy caches with 4-star camouflage. Many (if not most) of these are micro-caches....

You just reminded me of one. A perfect case of camo. Perhaps they could have hidden a larger cache in the area,but in that spot, the cache as placed, was perfect.

I actually like the "one of these things doesn't belong" catagory where it looks like it belongs but when you pay attention it really doesn't and then stands out.

...If you're in a foreign country, or "foreign" state, on business and you don't have time to spare to rent a kayak, sharpen your khukuri, slap on the mozzie deterrent and hike out 10 miles to the nearest alligator infested swamp to find an ammo can then a micro 200 yards from your hotel fits the bill exactly for a smiley in a brand new country/state.

MrsB B)

Hey, another reminder of ones I've liked. In a single large parking complex I found both an excellent micro and my first micro spew (from a cacher I like no less). The first was in an out of the way spot in the shade amongh some landscaping in a gap in some rocks. Easy cacher find, nice little parking lot nook. Well placed. The other in a lamp post with the description that said in so many words "here's one for your quest to a 1000" in dedication for another well known hissy fit throwing noob who demanded respect for his urban numbers and upon not getting it through a hissy fit and a developed a classic case of sour grapes. But I digress.

I also both love and hate wally world LPC's. When starting a cache day I avoid them like the plague. At the end of the day when I'm hot, tired, bleading, and sometimes coming off a nice long string of DNF's I find those same caches a nice easy find to end on a positive note and the short walk to find something cold to drink is a great caching equivilent ot the 19th hole.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I love micro's.

With a few exceptions. Micros are alot harder to find. I love the extra challenge.

Now I will admit. There are alot of easy micro's especially those that have become LPC's as an example.

But then again I like LPC's & similar sometimes.

Why? Because alot of the time I have 30 min to kill, maybe an hour, but I am also dressed up in my Armani suit. What I DON'T want to do is go anywhere into the "Jungle" to mess up my appearance. This is where LPC's are nice to waste away a few extra minutes that I have to spare without messing up my Armani! B)

Other times... I am ready to go bushwacking into the jungles of our enviroment to get a cache. In those cases I don't mind getting dirty, I will have taken the time to find those caches & have prepared myself wearing the proper shoes and outfit for such an expidition.

There is a place for urban caches as well as those out in the jungle. Not everyone who geocaches wants to go geocaching out in the middle of nowhere all the time.

TGC

We like them because then we do not have to jam a trade item into one of our pockets to carry along so that Little Whistler can trade. Also because then he does not bring home yet another thing he doesn't really need. And because we don't have to sift through the contents of the container to see if there is a coin or TB inside. And because there's less stuff to rattle around inside the conatiner and draw attention to us. And because they are easier to hide, and easier to replace, and it's easier to conceal them when muggles walk by. And because so many people hate them, and I like to root for the underdog!

A micro can be informative... Wow, I always thought those where fixed in place for liability purposes.

A micro can be funny... HAHAHA. Honey, you wont believe how lazy this guy is. He bought a hide-a-key, stuck the receipt in it and placed it under the nearest lamp skirt to the exit.

A micro can be a source of income... (OK, steady, Now dont think about it. 1. 2. 3.) *slam* AAAAH MY FINGER! These things should be bolted down, I'm suing. (hehehe, I wonder why nobody thought of this before) When I pulled that phone booth onto myself and broke my hand I got 20 grand in litigation so I will probable get at least 5 from this and if it has to go to court you better watch out.

Micros can earn you respect... I have 1359 finds with an average rating 1.8/1.6 but I'll be honest, the rating should be lower because people over estimate their creativity and or think that crumbled blacktop deserves a higher rating. I respect you honesty.

Micros are great for discipline... You blew it, I told you if you got less than a C on your report card then we are going to do nothing but mics for the next quarter and I meant it.

A micro can give a little adrenaline boost... *WHAP* Ouch! Whyja hit me? I told you no more micros, the kids and I hate them.

Another positive note, it is nicer to pick on the sin rather than the sinner.

I hid a micro GC1FECM Weir Dammed, I did it, 1 because nothing larger could be hidden at that exact spot, 2 to prove to myself I could place a nice micro and 3 so the other non lame mics would be less lonely.

Micro's are good for people too lazy to carry an ammo can into the woods.

Actually they are good to put places that absolutely need caches (great views, historial markers, city art etc.) when there is no place for a regular sized cache.

I suppose micros are good if you want to put out evil caches (not that I would go looking for them)

But There is a series of evil ammo can hides near my house. Now that is creative and proves it's more than micros that can be evil.

So that makes micros good for people with lack of imagination too. B)

I made friends with some cachers in a park over a nano once. They were looking for an hour when I showed up. We didn't know they were cachers so left the GPS in the car. I got out to check it out. Realized what was going on, I said to my buddy, "go get the GPS and we'll give it a try. .. Oh no, don't bother, here it is." Or did I make an enemy?

We like them because then we do not have to jam a trade item into one of our pockets to carry along so that Little Whistler can trade. Also because then he does not bring home yet another thing he doesn't really need. And because we don't have to sift through the contents of the container to see if there is a coin or TB inside. And because there's less stuff to rattle around inside the conatiner and draw attention to us. And because they are easier to hide, and easier to replace, and it's easier to conceal them when muggles walk by. And because so many people hate them, and I like to root for the underdog!

+10 here B)

I hid a micro GC1FECM Weir Dammed, I did it, 1 because nothing larger could be hidden at that exact spot, 2 to prove to myself I could place a nice micro and 3 so the other non lame mics would be less lonely.

If you ever come to Texas you might like this micro... BTW read the logs too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-45124ae94820

TGC

Well I wouldn't get slapped for chasing it with the wife and kids if it is truly a small and not at the large end of the micro spectrum.

It also has to be respected if for no other reason than it blocked multiple LPCs in a spot that can hold more than one.

One question. Why is it listed as a 3.gif when clearly it is a 8.gif?

Well I wouldn't get slapped for chasing it with the wife and kids if it is truly a small and not at the large end of the micro spectrum.

It also has to be respected if for no other reason than it blocked multiple LPCs in a spot that can hold more than one.

That my friend you would have to ask the reviewer. I originally had it as a puzzle cache, but since each 11 of the 13 light posts actually have laminated cards on them stating the lamp post number. They (The reviewer) thought it was best as a multi.

Did you catch though... that as a hunter if you find the cache container, you then become the hider and hide it at a new lamp post. (One of the other 10 lamp posts).

TGC

I love micro's.

Yeah, but you're from Texas. Everything's bigger in Texas.

Heck, the average film can over there could probably hold an ammo can...

Just sayin'... :P

B);)B):D:D:D

That my friend you would have to ask the reviewer. I originally had it as a puzzle cache, but since each 11 of the 13 light posts actually have laminated cards on them stating the lamp post number. They (The reviewer) thought it was best as a multi.

I would be making a big fuss over that considering that none of those cards leads to a stage.

Did you catch though... that as a hunter if you find the cache container, you then become the hider and hide it at a new lamp post. (One of the other 10 lamp posts).

TGC

I noted the perceived concept, but find it inaccurate considering it is being moved to a hiding spot predetermined by you. Where I to find it I would simply walk it to the nearest designated spot. My 10 year old would get a thrill from moving it making the complete concept worthwhile in my book.

I put it in my watch list. I want to see how the logs play out when somebody in a bad mood/in a hurry logs it but leaves it where they found it or an anti numbers person moves it to the last location and doesn't bother to leave a note about it. Somebody just might not log before the next person hits it.

The people having fits because they had to go to all 11 posts are going to give me a good laugh.

Why? Because alot of the time I have 30 min to kill, maybe an hour, but I am also dressed up in my Armani suit. What I DON'T want to do is go anywhere into the "Jungle" to mess up my appearance. This is where LPC's are nice to waste away a few extra minutes that I have to spare without messing up my Armani! ;)

TGC

It would crack me right up to see someone caching in Armani. I'm not sure why, but it would! B)

Oh Micros, Oh Micros...

How I love thee, let me count the ways.

I actually really enjoy micros, but at the same time, dislike them. It's a love/hate relationship for me. It's the same with the traditional trading caches as well. Note, this does not apply to nano's. I don't think I'd enjoy searching for nano's.

So without any further ado...

What I love about you, Micro:

I love that you can hide in the bark

Of a tree, in my local busy park.

I love that ...

Ok, yeah I can't keep that up. Anyway I feel that Micro's can be categorized in 4 ways.

1. A micro on a lamp post, telephone booth, or other boring place just for the sake of a quick grab 'n go. Me no likey.

2. A micro hidden in a spot that is busy because it's beautiful, but you might not have been here before. Me likey.

3. A micro that requires some thought, via a clue. Very brief clues that make you have to think to figure out where they would be. Me likey very much. (especially when combined with type 2)

4. A micro that might as well be a needle in a haystack, just for the sake of making it impossible to find - like a micro that's somehow affixed to mulch, then hidden in.... (drumroll) a pile of mulch! *le gasp!* Me really not likey, but ze Mr. Q does.

But... on the same token, regular size ones have their pro's and cons. They can be too easy, just coordinates to a location, no thought required.... BORING! But at least I can get a toy. B)

Edited by Mr&MrsQuixote

TGC

Wow! An LPC with 11 times the "Why bother?".

TGC

Come on.. I mean look at at. Let it to inspire you.

block.jpg

At its widest point, it is roughly 1670 feet.

What if it was more linear?eg.gif

I noted the perceived concept, but find it inaccurate considering it is being moved to a hiding spot predetermined by you. Where I to find it I would simply walk it to the nearest designated spot. My 10 year old would get a thrill from moving it making the complete concept worthwhile in my book.

I put it in my watch list. I want to see how the logs play out when somebody in a bad mood/in a hurry logs it but leaves it where they found it or an anti numbers person moves it to the last location and doesn't bother to leave a note about it. Somebody just might not log before the next person hits it.

The people having fits because they had to go to all 11 posts are going to give me a good laugh.

I hope you did notice in the logs. That in this parking lot, that isn't very big. One person & his kids, did manage to look at all 13 light posts to finanly find the container. (In the last lamp post) and he claimed that it was his first time he drove 4 miles in a parking lot! :laughing:

TGC

Why? Because alot of the time I have 30 min to kill, maybe an hour, but I am also dressed up in my Armani suit. What I DON'T want to do is go anywhere into the "Jungle" to mess up my appearance. This is where LPC's are nice to waste away a few extra minutes that I have to spare without messing up my Armani! :blink:

TGC

It would crack me right up to see someone caching in Armani. I'm not sure why, but it would! :laughing:

Please don't ask my wife for any photos then! LOL :laughing:

I think me & her were probably caught on a security surveilance camera once picking up an LPC cache near the Dallas Music Hall for a symphony we were attending once. She was in her little black cocktail dress, I was in my Armani, & we made the limo driver stop near this lamp post on our way downtown to the symphony. :D

Now I ask... is that caching with style?

TGC

:laughing:

You know I have come to the conclusion, that geocaching has different goals for everybody. Some it's litterly just about the numbers.

For others it's being taken to a new & interesting spot, or being taken on adventure.

Some it's the challenge of finding the cache.

So just out of curiosity. What is you enjoy most about geocaching? Is it the thrill of the challenge of finding a cache? Being taken somewhere new that you havent' been before, or have totally forgotten about?

I like to be taken to new places that I haven't been before. LPC's can do that as well. Take you to a new mall, new stores or whatever. I also love the challenge, of trying to find the cache. Not much into the needle in a haystack thing. However I don't like caches either that have a big red flashing light and siren attached to them either that say... "HEY STUPID IM OVER HERE!" :laughing:

TGC

:laughing:

You know I have come to the conclusion, that geocaching has different goals for everybody. Some it's litterly just about the numbers.

For others it's being taken to a new & interesting spot, or being taken on adventure.

Some it's the challenge of finding the cache.

So just out of curiosity. What is you enjoy most about geocaching? Is it the thrill of the challenge of finding a cache? Being taken somewhere new that you havent' been before, or have totally forgotten about?

I like to be taken to new places that I haven't been before. LPC's can do that as well. Take you to a new mall, new stores or whatever. I also love the challenge, of trying to find the cache. Not much into the needle in a haystack thing. However I don't like caches either that have a big red flashing light and siren attached to them either that say... "HEY STUPID IM OVER HERE!" :laughing:

TGC

Good point. caching does mean different things to different people. For me it is more about where it takes me. There are lots of places in the area that I never knew existed before I started geocaching. I've also met some great people.

As for new malls and stores, eh, you can keep 'em. One Wally World is pretty much the same as another and most every mall has a Sears & Roebuck store. The constant commercial bombardment we all live with makes those places easy enough to find without a cache.

That eleven stage LPC is just another soft coordinate lame micro in another parking lot. Gonna give me a "Hey stupid, I'm over here!" cache? Please, at least put it someplace interesting or peaceful or historic or something. I know of a LC in an historic location. It is one of my favorites. It isn't the lamp post that makes it a great cache though, but rather the history near by.

i don't care what the size of the geocache is, as long as the search or hiding spot or the hide itself is interesting to me. one of my favorite finds, not that i have a lot, is a micro.

I agree.

It's not necessarily about size so much as it is about creativity, appropriate use of cache size, investment in the game, trying to make the find a good experience for the seeker. Our first LPC find was also the best LPC - creative, appropriate size, historic. Found about 7 years ago when micros were rare so we had no idea we were looking for a film canister under a lampskirt - had no idea those things lifted. But the best part was it was at a former spy camp in Toronto, Camp-X - the one where Ian Flemings, the creator of James Bond trained. We thought the hide was perfect bit of 'dead drop'.

Since then I don't think we've found something so appropriate and creative when it comes to micro hides. However I have found micros in scenic locations where a larger size wouldn't fit -- an appropriate use of the micro size.

However, it gets frustrating when a micro is used because the CO doesn't want to invest in the game. They choose the micro hide because it costs nothing - film canister free, rolled up piece of scrap paper free, no pencil investment. It's also frustrating when a micro is placed in a location that could easily support a small or larger container that can house tradables, part of the fun for many of us.

Edited by Lone R

What I like most is when folks get creative...either with the camo or a theme for a series of them. :blink:

I have no problem with micros in general...so long as they're not hidden in the woods where a larger container can easily be used. :laughing: To me, micros are for urban areas where a larger container would be easily muggled. :laughing:

I do lots of micro caches...some are really good; however, most are boring. :D

Obviously you have never seen an IMAX Film can

You are correct. I have not. I Googled it, in the hopes of seeing one, or maybe even buying one, but the closest I got was a comparison of film strip size, showing various mediums from 8mm to IMAX. No container pictures were included. Got pix? :laughing:

no pix, but the darned things are about 6" deep and 4 foot across.

Obviously you have never seen an IMAX Film can

You are correct. I have not. I Googled it, in the hopes of seeing one, or maybe even buying one, but the closest I got was a comparison of film strip size, showing various mediums from 8mm to IMAX. No container pictures were included. Got pix? :laughing:

No I don't. I will see what I can do about getting some pics of a few & posting them here. Give me a week to get them. I will post the "Post - Proscessing" cans before I can get the "Pre-Processed" cans. Stay Tuned.

TGC

[

TGC

Well this is a hot contender for the most annoying cache ever.

I told my friend about it and he said he'd go take the cache and deposit it in the nearest trash can.

:D

He said he'd rather have snakes coming out of his barf bag on an airplane.

We're very surprised this one got approved.

Edited by Sol seaker

[

TGC

Well this is a hot contender for the most annoying cache ever.

I told my friend about it and he said he'd go take the cache and deposit it in the nearest trash can.

:D

He said he'd rather have snakes coming out of his barf bag on an airplane.

We're very surprised this one got approved.

I'm less satisfied with people who would advocate vandalizing someone else's cache than I am with slightly onerous musical micros.