Hiding a cache on your own property

The_Tinkers

And it's allowed in terms of GC.com regulations as long as you deal with any possible liability. This cache is on the person's front yard, and it's a home with a standard front and back yard surrounded by other homes, not some place with acres and acres of woods:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ea-a07effeb3bf0

I think the cache description covers any issues well.

:huh: I have 20 acres full of trails and huge rocks. would be a great place to hide a cache. It is not close to anyones home. One of my only concerns is someone getting hurt. Im guessing I would be liable for it. Is putting (hunt at your on risk) on the listing worth anything? Anyone have any input on this??

Put a trampoline in your yard. Invite the general public to jump on it.

My point is that geocaching doesn't give you a pass for whatever you would be responsible for should someone get injured on your property. Talk to your insurance agent, they tend to know about these things.

:huh: I have 20 acres full of trails and huge rocks. would be a great place to hide a cache. It is not close to anyones home. One of my only concerns is someone getting hurt. Im guessing I would be liable for it. Is putting (hunt at your on risk) on the listing worth anything? Anyone have any input on this??

Put a trampoline in your yard. Invite the general public to jump on it.

My point is that geocaching doesn't give you a pass for whatever you would be responsible for should someone get injured on your property. Talk to your insurance agent, they tend to know about these things.

I hear people mention the geocaching disclaimer often. That covers Groundspeak. (Not you.)

I would like to add that if you do choose to put a cache on your 20 acres make it very clear how to get "in" and how to get "out". Parking coordinates would help. In my very short caching career, I have now found 2 of these (ammo boxes on someones property who has some nice wooded land). However in both cases the cache owners mentioned that the cache was on private property but they didn't give any indication how to "approach" the cache.

Unfortunately, I'm lazy and can read a map so in both cases I parked my car on the side of a dirt road that gave me the shortest walk to the cache. In both cases, on the way out, I was stopped by someone to let me know that I was trepassing. Once by the actual owner of the land that I was "cutting" through and on the other cache by a neighbor of the land owner that I was "cutting" through. Both cases were friendly encounters and no big deal but obviously it could go another way.

So, if your property is adjacent to other private property, you might want to include parking coordinates or better yet an "approach" spot in the cache description.

Edited by Morning Dew

Would you consider opening your land up for the public?

Some towns have public greenbelt/walkway systems, that rely on easements (and potential tax write-offs). In those cases, I imagine that the town (or greenbelt organization) would handle the liability insurance.... (but I don't know... I'm not a lawyer!)

In either case, your town might have an answer to your question...