Couple Caching

GyPSyDiane

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :blink:

Give your husband's GPSr a try, if you like it then by all means grab one for yourself. If you do want something different it may still be to your advantage to stick with the same brand so as to have similar functionality

Oregon's are nice because of the touchscreen. Maybe grab one of those to mix things up :D

Or the new Dakota's are great because they are quite small, maybe that's an attractive attribute for you.

Also, if you stick with a Colorado or Oregon or Dakota the two of you can take advantage of the wireless sharing feature between the units. Quite a perk!

Hi. There's no doubt about it that the most common brand you'll hear recommended around here is the Garmin brand. I recently switched from using a Garmin Vista HCx to a Delorme PN-40 GPSr. That was the best decision I've made in a long long time. If you're interested in learning about the Delorme PN series GPSr's I'd suggest going to the Technology forum here on Groundspeak and reading up on the Delorme series. In most cases when shopping I'm inclined to think it's best to go with the majority, but this is one time I'm very thankful that I went with the underdog since in my opinion it is a mile better than it's competition. Good luck in your search for a GPSr that is right for you! :blink:

IMHO, you are on the cusp of making a relatively large mistake. :laughing:

Your statement isn't very useful if you don't clarify.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. :laughing:

Hehe.. ok.

I was actually wondering if you were refering to buying an Oregon or letting your spouse lead you to a secluded location where a body could be hidden.

My wife and I cache together, but we just share my Garmin Oregon 300. I'll usually let her get us from cache to cache while I drive, then I let her get us started on finding the cache, until she gets frustrated or confused, then I take over :laughing: Sometimes she does ok, but most of the time I end up taking the reins, mostly that she's not familiar with the use of a GPS in general - getting better though...

So, I guess a couple of different thoughts..... if you like caching together I think there's really no need for another unit. But, if you really want your own then I'd suggest getting something different so you both have that "second opinion" available if you will, a lot of people seem to like the Delorme PN-40 (but make sure you carry lots of batteries), I myself was really interested in the Lowrance Endura line, but decided against them since they are very new and have some bugs that need working out. However, I also like the idea that was mentioned of getting an Oregon like he has but a cheaper unit (like my 300), that way you can share accessories and stuff but still have separate units.

We struggled with a similar problem. Our main GPSr is a Garmin 60Cx; which has done a great job for us so far, but, paperless has not been as easy as we would have liked & if we cant make a quick find, we usually turn to the iPhone to pull the cache page up on the web.

Weve been thinking about getting a second unit & it just so happened that at Costco yesterday I was killing time & noticed they had the Oregon 200 with topocanada maps for $299 CAD ($50 off). Was a pretty easy decision. We got it loaded up & tried it out last night - having the cache page, hints, logs & trackable data all there certainly was convenient and will work out well for her (i'm the one with the iPhone, she doesnt have a web enabled phone).

For you guys, i'd second the feedback from a previous poster, if you've got the paperless side covered, go with the 60Csx or Cx