Any 'Epic' multi-caches?

gatoller

I'm kinda new at this, but a thought occurred to me the other day, and I wondered if this had ever been done-

I was wondering if there are any multi-caches that are 'epic', in that it would be completely impossible for someone to do all the stages in a day, or for that matter even a week. An example might be that it's four stages, and each stage is in a different state, hundreds of miles apart. Maybe it would be in four different really good caching areas, so when you went on a trip to cache, you'd get the next stage.

Is there a limit to the distance between stages of multis? Just wondering.

There are some. The problem with long-distance multis, even a couple of miles, is it can create headaches for people trying to place caches who can't because there's a stage nearby that they couldn't possibly know about.

The closest to an epic multi I've done is the Bill & Gary's Excellent Adventure series. Some people did them in a day, but most took several. All stages were within two parks which are about ten miles apart. They didn't resort to pointless zigzagging between the two, but some did start and end in the same park.

Epic multis? There are two in Central Park in NYC that qualify! Brides & Arches has 32 waypoints. It can be done in a day. We took three weekends to do it. It has 109 finds. Great cache! The other, more difficult one is Central Park Decathlon. Only ten waypoints, but most are very difficult! That one took us three months, and only has eight finds. Both cover the same territory, which is all of Central Park.

On the other fin, there is Five Star New York. It is a mystery cache with 14 waypoints/hints. Distance by foot is ten miles. It has been out five years and has 25 finds. This one took us ten months to complete.

Three great caches, any of which qualifies as an epic!

I was FTF on an "epic" multi a few years ago. At the time, the cache owner did not list how many WPs (there were 16 in all) and did not provide hints for all of them. It took me 9 days to complete it. But many of those days, I only had an hour to work it (I spent 3 days on one WP. I just couldn't find the bugger). I think it took me a total of 15-20 hours to do. This was multi that did not provide close parking so it was alot of hiking up and down hills and stream crossings. After finding the final, I got to spend another 4 hours looking for the stages of the bonus cache! The "epic" multi (with only 4 finders) has been broken down into six seperate caches.

Although not as challenging as some already listed, this is probably the only one in my immediate N. Virginia area that may qualify. Bull Run/Occoquan Marathon (GC1X3MD) - 13 stages spread out over an 18 mile hike, with lots of fairly tough terrain. It was published last month, and as of this writing...is still unfound.

Bill