The lengths we go to

Hello there

This has pobably been done before but I'd love to know the craziest thing you've done to get a cache or atend an event.

Mine will seem pretty tame when you guys get going but I went from Bradford, West Yorkshire to Caldicot, Monmouthshire to attend an event for 3 hours. My alarm went off at 04:30, I was on the road for 06:00. I got back last night at 11:30. 450 mile round trip and 9 hours in total on the road.

Paul

Here's our log for a cache we did in September of 2007 shortly after tropical storm Fay blew through our area. The cache is a 10 stage multi and each stage is a bushwhack. When we did it, because of the storm being through recently, we were hunting several of the stages while standing in swamp water. The first stage was waist deep and took us 45 minutes to find it.

We wound up taking 2 days to do all the stages and find the final. :P

Here's our log for a cache we did in September of 2007 shortly after tropical storm Fay blew through our area. The cache is a 10 stage multi and each stage is a bushwhack. When we did it, because of the storm being through recently, we were hunting several of the stages while standing in swamp water. The first stage was waist deep and took us 45 minutes to find it.

We wound up taking 2 days to do all the stages and find the final. :P

fantstic.....i love reading logs like that even though I'd nevr do what you did...hehe

The cache is a 10 stage multi and each stage is a bushwhack. When we did it, because of the storm being through recently, we were hunting several of the stages while standing in swamp water. The first stage was waist deep and took us 45 minutes to find it.

I know I am wired a little differently, but... this is my very definition of heaven.

Hello there

This has pobably been done before but I'd love to know the craziest thing you've done to get a cache or atend an event.

Mine will seem pretty tame when you guys get going but I went from Bradford, West Yorkshire to Caldicot, Monmouthshire to attend an event for 3 hours. My alarm went off at 04:30, I was on the road for 06:00. I got back last night at 11:30. 450 mile round trip and 9 hours in total on the road.

Paul

We're mostly Americans here (and we occasionally let Canadian's post), so I had to look that up. So you went from North Central England to Southern Wales? Interesting. So how long would it take a person to drive from say Northern Scotland to the Southern coast of England or Wales?

I went just about that same distance for an event once (225 miles). But I stayed overnight. :P

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Hello there

Paul

... and I was amazed that you'd travelled all that way just to come and say "hello" at our event!

"Getting fruity (with Men in Tights)."

Thanks again! :P

MrsB

Hello there

Paul

We're mostly Americans here (and we occasionally let Canadian's post), so I had to look that up. So you went from North Central England to Southern Wales? Interesting. So how long would it take a person to drive from say Northern Scotland to the Southern coast of England or Wales?

I went just about that same distance for an event once (225 miles). But I stayed overnight. :)

... sometimes even a few Brits creep in :P

The "traditional end-to-end route" in U.K. is from John O'Groats (NW tip of Scotland) to Land's End (SW tip of England). Wiki gives the distance by road as 874 miles - about a 16 hours drive - but doing it over 16 days and going the pretty way would be much nicer.

MrsB :)

Hello there

Paul

I went just about that same distance for an event once (225 miles). But I stayed overnight. :)

... sometimes even a few Brits creep in :P

The "traditional end-to-end route" in U.K. is from John O'Groats (NW tip of Scotland) to Land's End (SW tip of England). Wiki gives the distance by road as 874 miles - about a 16 hours drive - but doing it over 16 days and going the pretty way would be much nicer.

MrsB :)

Thanks Mrs B!! I would not have guessed it was anywhere close to being that far. That's like New York City to Atlanta, or maybe even Jacksonville.

Edit to say I just remembered a tale of my own (nothing to crazy). Whenever I go to Disney World in Florida, I just get shuttled to and from the airport, and never leave WDW and use their transportation. Back in 2004, they had several physical caches at WDW (they were all removed in 2005). I took a Disney bus several miles to The All Star resort just to find a cache. I didn't know where to get off, and disembarked about .75 miles one way from the cache. But I found a much closer bus stop after finding it. I remember having a substantial "layover" sitting in front of MGM studios. The whole trip took over 2 hours I believe. I could have driven there in about 10 minutes, and parked 500 feet from the cache. The cache was Lake Todo Estrella, if anyone who was around in 2005 or earlier remembers it.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Pretty tame compared to most, but I've made reservations at specific hotels (once in Amsterdam and once in Johannesburg, South Africa) because of their proximity to a geocache.

I also was in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia a few months ago and planned on going after a cache on the way to the airport before I left but we were getting so much done in our meetings we worked late on the day I left so I just had time to get to the airport and didn't get to search for it. I was in a car several times that went within 1000' of one of only four caches in the entire country and never got a chance to search for it.