Feature Requests 8/24/09

Puppy Dawg

By popular demand, all of my feature requests today will be in one topic.

Here is what I currently want:

• Multi-stage earthcaches - See this thread for more info.
  • Street view in google maps - See this thread for more info.
  • Waymarking Hybrids - See this thread for more info.
  • Betafind log type - See Post #2 for more info.

OK, that's it for today.

Edited to fix BBcode.

Edited again to make it look less like release notes.

Edited by Puppy Dawg

If you had four new feature requests, then it would mean something to post them all "in one topic". But this is only one new feature request and a rehash of three old ones.

Multi-stage earthcaches - See this thread for more info.
This might make sense if there were so many EarthCaches around that people were having difficulty identifying the single-stage ECs from the multi-stage ECs. But as it is, I don't see the point (other than adding another icon). ECs are rare enough that I don't think we need to subdivide the category any further.

Street view in google maps - See this thread for more info.
You can already click on the "Google Maps" link on the cache page, zoom in all the way, and then zoom in one more click to get StreetView. Assuming that StreetView has data for the area near the cache, of course.

Waymarking Hybrids - See this thread for more info.
Like others who posted to the original (and now closed) thread, I don't get it.

Betafind log type - See Post #2 for more info.
Just log your "beta" find sometime after the first few logs are posted.

OMG! After reading that about 5 times, I think I'm the first one other than the OP to understand it!! After submitting a Waymark, if you can beat a little online game, involving clicking your cursor on fast moving objects, you will be allowed to post your Waymark on Geocaching.com as a "Waymarking Hybrid" Geocache.

I say bring it on! :mad:

If you had four new feature requests, then it would mean something to post them all "in one topic". But this is only one new feature request and a rehash of three old ones.

Yes, but I didn't have more than one feature request! This also shows what I still want, as well.

Multi-stage earthcaches - See this thread for more info.
This might make sense if there were so many EarthCaches around that people were having difficulty identifying the single-stage ECs from the multi-stage ECs. But as it is, I don't see the point (other than adding another icon). ECs are rare enough that I don't think we need to subdivide the category any further.
I know of one guy who has over 200 ECs. Another who has over 100. There are lots around here. I want it so when you click on the cachepage you know exactly what to expect.

Street view in google maps - See this thread for more info.
You can already click on the "Google Maps" link on the cache page, zoom in all the way, and then zoom in one more click to get StreetView. Assuming that StreetView has data for the area near the cache, of course.
This is mainly wanted (by me) for scoping out cache locations. So many puzzle ideas, CCC ideas, etc, too few spaces. It's good to be able to easily find spots that will work. If this gets implemented I'll elaborate.

It's a waymark that's also a geocache, only hard to submit.

Betafind log type - See Post #2 for more info.
Just log your "beta" find sometime after the first few logs are posted.

Around here, betafinds are extremely common. People post a note saying they're a beta and in 2 weeks (or after the FTF is claimed) they change their logs to smileys. This would help because peoiple can still see that its a possible FTF, and the betafinds don't have to worry about it any more.

OMG! After reading that about 5 times, I think I'm the first one other than the OP to understand it!! After submitting a Waymark, if you can beat a little online game, involving clicking your cursor on fast moving objects, you will be allowed to post your Waymark on Geocaching.com as a "Waymarking Hybrid" Geocache.

I say bring it on! :mad:

Correct :mad:

Betafinds??

Let me get this straight - you want your "find" count to up by one but the total find count on the listing page stays the same?

I don't get it.......why? Would the log show on the listing page? who would use this?

Lots of people would use this. The log shows up on the cache, it just doden't alter the number of finds on the cache. It gives you a smiley though.

I understood what you said, just not why. What is the point?

Betafinds??

Let me get this straight - you want your "find" count to up by one but the total find count on the listing page stays the same?

I don't get it.......why? Would the log show on the listing page? who would use this?

Lots of people would use this. The log shows up on the cache, it just doden't alter the number of finds on the cache. It gives you a smiley though.

Who would use this and why? What is the point of adding a smile to your count but not to the cache?

I understood what you said, just not why. What is the point?

Betafinds??

Who would use this and why? What is the point of adding a smile to your count but not to the cache?

I just don't get it either. What really is the point and who (specifically) would use it? for what purpose?

Okay, I've reread it, and I'll just vote no. Adding a dexterity-based video game to a waymark doesn't make it a geocache.

And from a usability/accessibility perspective, adding a dexterity-based video game to the logging process is terrible idea.

<snip>

I just don't get it either. What really is the point and who (specifically) would use it? for what purpose?

It would be useful because trail cache often go the full two weeks. Around here, the FTF hounds are everybody, so if the caches are on a trail, most would only get it if it was a FTF oportunity. And when the notes get changed to smileys, it looks as though the cache has already been found. Caches would get found quicker, then reccomended to other cachers. It would mean more people ultimately go find the cache.

<snip>

It would be useful because trail cache often go the full two weeks. Around here, the FTF hounds are everybody, so if the caches are on a trail, most would only get it if it was a FTF oportunity. And when the notes get changed to smileys, it looks as though the cache has already been found. Caches would get found quicker, then reccomended to other cachers. It would mean more people ultimately go find the cache.

If I could manage to understand your post I might be able to disagree or to agree. As it is I just have to say "I don't get it". :mad:

<snip>

Wait one while I try to run that through my klingonese dictionary............

<snip>

Ahh...huh?

Okay, I've reread it, and I'll just vote no. Adding a dexterity-based video game to a waymark doesn't make it a geocache.

And from a usability/accessibility perspective, adding a dexterity-based video game to the logging process is terrible idea.

Another Naysayer, eh? Well I still like it. And I won't give up hope until I see a Lackey shoot it down in this forum. :ph34r:

Pup, there's a "preview post" button, good idea to use it.

I want three new cache sizes: nano, matchsafe, bigger-than-tup-but-smaller-than-ammo, five gallon bucket, and it's-the-whole-state. Also an "educational cache" type that will teach me to count.

I want a multi-state attribute for writing utensil in cache: none, pencil, pen, pencil that needs sharpening, pen that's dried out but everyone leaves it in the cache anyway. That way I'll know what to pack.

I want a "cache container constructed of" attribute so I'll know whether that two-year-old cache I'm seeking has already disintegrated into little pieces.

I want separate log types for FTF and STF as well as testfind. (I can't bring myself to call it a beta find because I work in software and know that these are actually alpha finds.) Oh, also last-to-find, which is a preferable alternative to SBA. Also NS (needs swag), SBVBK (should be visited by kids), NASUSDH (needs a slap up side de head), and Noah (cache is flooded).

I want separate cache types for desk puzzles, field puzzles, open-the-lock puzzles, clue-in-the-HTML puzzles, compilation challenges, design-your-own-set-to-meet-the-requirements challenges, just-plain-weird caches, multis where you pick up coords as you go along, multis where you gather info from found objects, letterbox hybrids that aren't really letterboxes, regular caches in polyethylene containers (aka temporary caches), multistage virtuals, no-wow virtuals, scenic bypasses, triple cardiac bypasses, truck routes, is-anybody-still-reading multis, in-the-lake, and in-the-dry-lake.

I want attributes for "overstuffed please come and take some swag", "empty large ammo can needs swag", "travel bug jail", toz-likes-it-but-paleolith-doesn't, paleolith-likes-it-but-toz-doesn't, inverted unction, radar declassification, and ambiguous mastication.

That'll do for starters, but I'll start my own thread for the complicated requests.

Edweird

Edited by paleolith

<snip>

Are you saying that this is a way to post a FTF log, but nobody can see it, so all the FTF hounds will still think they have a chance and go for it? Then after 2 weeks they all switch to normal finds? Sounds odd to me.

I want three new cache sizes: nano, matchsafe, bigger-than-tup-but-smaller-than-ammo, five gallon bucket, and it's-the-whole-state. Also an "educational cache" type that will teach me to count.

I want a multi-state attribute for writing utensil in cache: none, pencil, pen, pencil that needs sharpening, pen that's dried out but everyone leaves it in the cache anyway. That way I'll know what to pack.

I want a "cache container constructed of" attribute so I'll know whether that two-year-old cache I'm seeking has already disintegrated into little pieces.

I want separate log types for FTF and STF as well as testfind. (I can't bring myself to call it a beta find because I work in software and know that these are actually alpha finds.) Oh, also last-to-find, which is a preferable alternative to SBA. Also NS (needs swag), SBVBK (should be visited by kids), NASUSDH (needs a slap up side de head), and Noah (cache is flooded).

I want separate cache types for desk puzzles, field puzzles, open-the-lock puzzles, clue-in-the-HTML puzzles, compilation challenges, design-your-own-set-to-meet-the-requirements challenges, just-plain-weird caches, multis where you pick up coords as you go along, multis where you gather info from found objects, letterbox hybrids that aren't really letterboxes, regular caches in polyethylene containers (aka temporary caches), multistage virtuals, no-wow virtuals, scenic bypasses, triple cardiac bypasses, truck routes, is-anybody-still-reading multis, in-the-lake, and in-the-dry-lake.

I want attributes for "overstuffed please come and take some swag", "empty large ammo can needs swag", "travel bug jail", toz-likes-it-but-paleolith-doesn't, paleolith-likes-it-but-toz-doesn't, inverted unction, radar declassification, and ambiguous mastication.

That'll do for starters, but I'll start my own thread for the complicated requests.

Edweird

Oh hell. It's contagious.

Edweird

Finally someone is making sense.

Thanks Edweird.

(I especially like the Noah log type...very cool, excellent idea!)

(P.S. My dentist says not to ambiguously masticate ammo cans...bad for the enamel on the teeth.)

I want *snip*

I want *snip*

I want *snip*

I want *snip*

I want *snip*

I want *snip*

That was great! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

Oh yeah, and I want a pony. :unsure:;)

Mrs. Car54

P.S. This post has been previewed before posting. :D