Refusing a trade offer!

SecretChief

Hi,

I've been doing trades for the last few years but there is something that tickles me.

I've sent many trade request in the past years but lately I haven't received a lot of response.

I don't mean positive response I mean any response at all.

On my side, whenever someone ask me for a trade I always answer back letting them know if I do want or don't want to accept their offer.

I can't accept all trade offers because I'm not seeking all the coins...

But, when I don't want to trade I usually gives them a reason (don't seek this coin, etc.) to why I refused the offer.

I think it's better to officially say NO to an offer instead of not responding at all.

So, the questions are :

Do you sometimes refuse a trade offer ?

How do you refuse a trade offer ? You send them a response or not ?

Do you feel hurt when someone is refusing your offer ?

Thanks,

Simon

P.S. Once again, sorry for my bad english, french is my first language.

edited to add a question

Edited by SecretChief

First of all there is no need to apologize for your english as it is very ggod. In fact your english is right up there with some native speakers!!

How do you refuse a trade offer ? Very politely.

You send them a response or not ? Always. If someone doesn't get a response from me I would hope that they try again as they may get caught in my spam folder.

Do you feel hurt when someone refused your offer ? No not really if they are polite in their response and don't belittle the offer. Even though I have been around awhile now there are some coins that I don't know about and don't know their value. I may made a ridiculous offer because of that. I turn down trades so I would expect that others would turn down some of mine. I don't like a lot of coins or aren't my "style" so I will turn down those

I do always response to trade offers.

How do you refuse a trade offer ?

It does not often happen that i get a trade offer, but if i do refuse one i don't want to trade, i do refuse it politely with a reason.

Do you feel hurt when someone refused your offer ?

Nooo :( If it's about a coin i really want to own, it's a a real pity, but i don't feel hurt :)

that also happends to me sometimes,, but i wonder,,,,

did the email go thru?

did it get burried in their mail box?

is it in their spam folder?

are they on vacation?

did i really send it? haha

did they read it?

was my offer that bad?

ok im pulling now,, but ive pondered these quite a few times,, my problem is i get so much mail sometimes i dont see it till im cleaning out my mail box! :( but i always respond even if im late. :)

that also happends to me sometimes,, but i wonder,,,,

did the email go thru?

did it get burried in their mail box?

is it in their spam folder?

are they on vacation?

did i really send it? haha

did they read it?

was my offer that bad?

I usually send my offer 3 times (one week interval) when I'm not recieving any response.

That way, I'm avoiding lots of e-mail and spam folder problems.

If I haven't recieved any response by the third time, I just forget the trade possibility.

How do you refuse a trade offer?

I usually let the person know I am not interested, although this has only happened 4-5 times since I started trading. I can usually find something to trade.

You send them a response or not?

Yes, it's a courtesy everyone should extend

Nope, trading is a fluid market of wants and needs,

Two things to consider:

(1) I have received emails 6 months later because life situations got in the way of coins, to some people, it's not as life and death... to others, they just choose to not respond, not my way of handling things, but hey.

(2) likewise, the majority of people who collect coins now is probably 5% the same as people who have collected in the past. Many people just get out quietly, others with sob stories... all kinds... anyways, they have no interest in coins.

Well, I love to trade and being new, I am sure I have made lots of ridiculous offers to people! But whenever I have time and I am organized, I am always on the hunt to track down coins from my seeking list. I have had some neat trades where I would trade one of my coins to another person for their coin and then trade THAT to a third person. That was really fun! Or recently I made a trade with four coins in it which is the most I have ever done. I also participated in the last math trade and really enjoyed the process.

But getting around to your questions...yes, I have made some requests that were not responded to as well and it frustrates me as it is hard to tell why. (especially since I email once, pm, then do one last email...)

How do you refuse a trade offer ? I have refused offers before as politely as possible. I always try to trade if I can, even if I have to re-negotiate with another coin. I have had negotiations go on for many, many emails back and forth! lol!

You send them a response or not ? I definitely always respond to trades if I get the emails and respond the way I wish to be responded to. Hopefully people will try me more than once if no return email comes their way.

Do you feel hurt when someone is refusing your offer ? No I don't feel hurt. Like I said, I like to make trade offers (nothing ventured, nothing gained) and sometimes I don't know true value or my trading list is not of interest to the other person - everyone collects different things. No harm done. It won't stop me from trying.

I try to answer but I am so disorganized sometimes. I'm sure I've even missed emails that I wanted to say yes to. Many days, especially, lately, my mind just isn't here. I am the queen of reading my email when I don't have time to respond. I should learn to not read it until I have time, but I suppose I don't know I don't have time until I've opened it.

I know I've opened emails, and said to myself "oh I don't know if I traded that. Look for it tonight and remember to email back then" Then by the time i get home I'm thinking about dinner... then I'm doing dishes, by the time I have a chance to breathe it's time to go to bed, and I've completely forgotten. Then the next day I get a flood of automated GS emails that bury that email... then three days later I remember but I'm at work, so I make a note to check when I get home, then again by the time I get home, I've forgotten.

I think what I'm trying to say in that rant is: I'm sorry if I've forgotten to respond to your email, I'm not trying to be a jerk, sometimes I wait for a legitimate reason and then forget! I'm really sorry if you felt ignored or slighted!

I try to answer but I am so disorganized sometimes. I'm sure I've even missed emails that I wanted to say yes to. Many days, especially, lately, my mind just isn't here. I am the queen of reading my email when I don't have time to respond. I should learn to not read it until I have time, but I suppose I don't know I don't have time until I've opened it.

I know I've opened emails, and said to myself "oh I don't know if I traded that. Look for it tonight and remember to email back then" Then by the time i get home I'm thinking about dinner... then I'm doing dishes, by the time I have a chance to breathe it's time to go to bed, and I've completely forgotten. Then the next day I get a flood of automated GS emails that bury that email... then three days later I remember but I'm at work, so I make a note to check when I get home, then again by the time I get home, I've forgotten.

I do sometimes write a quick note letting people know I'm interested in a trade but don't have much time to check their lists right now.

I then get back a few days later hoping they still have the coin I want...

But I do understand that some people are really busy with life, kids and all that they don't have time to answer not even a quick note.

I think what I'm trying to say in that rant is: I'm sorry if I've forgotten to respond to your email, I'm not trying to be a jerk, sometimes I wait for a legitimate reason and then forget! I'm really sorry if you felt ignored or slighted!

You don't have to feel sorry !

And I'm not seeking any apologies here !

So, the questions are :

Do you sometimes refuse a trade offer ?

How do you refuse a trade offer ? You send them a response or not ?

Thanks,

Simon

P.S. Once again, sorry for my bad english, french is my first language.

edited to add a question

yes, i have refused trade offers

i try to respond when refusing and may offer my reason for doing so

but, i feel no obligation to explain why i am not interested in the trade

and, at times i have simply not responded at all (believe it or not, there are things in life that take priority over the coining world)

i feel no hurt if a trade offer is refused

I do sometimes write a quick note letting people know I'm interested in a trade but don't have much time to check their lists right now.

I then get back a few days later hoping they still have the coin I want...

But I do understand that some people are really busy with life, kids and all that they don't have time to answer not even a quick note.

You don't have to feel sorry !

And I'm not seeking any apologies here !

;) Just in general, to anybody reading!

I do my best to answer whether I refuse of not. I'm not doing a lot of trading these days...

What gets my goat is people that say "yes let's trade" and then discontinue e-conversation with me. Still posting on forum, still e-mailing others, but instead of saying we changed our minds or whatever, they just decide to ignore me.

And then I say, oh well, it's part of trading...

And if there is any one out there in trading land that I haven't answered, please e-mail me again!!

Great thread, I was wondering about these questions myself. Someone offered me a trade when I was on holiday, I answered the best I could, then nothing happened. Maybe they are now on holiday as well. 3 e-mails sent... I'll wait a little longer I guess.

But yes, it makes perfect sense that you answer politely even if the trade doesn't fit your needs!

For the rest, I can't answer as I lack the experience!

I do reply to all trade offers, sometimes it's difficult to refuse one when it's in my seeking list . I do refuse depending on the price I paid for (that's for me to live with I guess) or the personal value of them.

I emailed lots of people for trade offers (mostly on geocoincollection.com) and I would say 85% of them never answered. On the forum, 30% never answered. I try a second time in case people are on vacation and If still no response I let it go. I do mentioned though to reply If they are interested or not.

I should say that I have a good experience in trading so far.

Great thread, I was wondering about these questions myself. Someone offered me a trade when I was on holiday, I answered the best I could, then nothing happened. Maybe they are now on holiday as well. 3 e-mails sent... I'll wait a little longer I guess.

Same happened to me. I had a discussion going on about a trade then no more answers to my mail.

Vacation, too busy, don't want to trade anymore, ... who knows !

I emailed lots of people for trade offers (mostly on geocoincollection.com) and I would say 85% of them never answered. On the forum, 30% never answered. I try a second time in case people are on vacation and If still no response I let it go. I do mentioned though to reply If they are interested or not.

I should say that I have a good experience in trading so far.

85% - That's a lot of people not responding to you offers !!! :rolleyes: and :huh:

I do also add "let me know if you want to trade OR NOT" but that don't always work.

Thanks youy all for REPLYING to this tread. :D