How to hide cache in plain sight

kunarion

There's a steel post in a county park with no sign on it. I might be allowed to bolt a box to it, which contains a Geocache. The park's open during daylight hours. The box will be slightly off the trail, not in full view of most park visitors. It's a quiet park, no gangs, etc.

I've seen examples of caches out-in-the-open (one was a tupperware bowl on a park bench), so I know it's not uncommon. If you've ever done a cache like this, how would you suggest I set up a box on a post? Is a standard small metal "utility box" OK? Should it have a combination lock? Should it be labeled as a "Geocache"? Or is it more likely to be vandalized/stolen than a hidden one? Any help is appreciated.

Anything in plain site can draw curious muggles but the more mundane it looks the less likely to be bothered.

As far as locks, well the combo lock is one option, but in weather a lock can freeze (mechanically not temperature) and will require regular service/lube if harsh conditions are experianced.

One option I ran across was a cache called "batteries not included" which you needed a 9v battery to access. That powered a relay lock that released the door. Great concept except in the backcountry a cacher without a battery or a determined muggle can easily break such a lock by damaging the case.

For a backcountry use a outdoor switchbox with a sheilded hasp might be best. mounted low on the post with a piece of conduit running down from the box into the ground (doesn't have to go anywhere just into the dirt) might be enuf to keep people out but allow cachers to find and access the lock for use. But again if the combo itsn't in hand there are enuf cads in the game that would just destroy the box so they can get a smiley.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

but in weather a lock can freeze

Jeff,

I probably should research some outdoor combination locks. Maybe I can keep it protected from rain (can't help the humidity). I already had to rule out the kind where you can set the combo, since we don't need the chance of it getting changed. The secret latch idea is tempting.

This should be just as little trouble to open as it would be to stumble onto it if it were in the bushes. Just that there aren't any bushes to hide it.

I guess my new question is: Is this hide too much trouble for people? If the lock is jammed, it's mainly a problem for the CO, possibly repairing a box after it's been pried open. Other than that, I'd think that most problems would be common to other types of hides.

I mean really -- will cachers actually break in, if they can't get a lock open? What if I ask politely that they not do that? The entire hike is about 600 feet, so if it doesn't open, you could come back after I've changed the lock.

No, I mean it ...really?? There's a rubber duck and a couple of business cards in there.

Edited by kunarion

Unfortunately there are cachers who will break your container in order to sign the log. ;)

What if there were an emergency pad of paper and a slot to drop it in? I can even include a couple of pencils.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of your cache? Besides, the slot could allow moisture and potentially critters in. Follow your inner muse and place the cache you envision. There will almost always be something that comes up that will require maintenance if a cache lasts long enough. It is just a part of the game and you really can't anticipate every possible thing that may go wrong.

My first plan was a Micro. I'm kinda thinking that for now, that's still the better option, since I've already built the Micro. And it's an utterly cool one.

the slot could allow moisture and potentially critters in. Follow your inner muse and place the cache you envision. There will almost always be something that comes up that will require maintenance if a cache lasts long enough. It is just a part of the game and you really can't anticipate every possible thing that may go wrong.

I know, but you brought up all those possible things that could go wrong, Wrastro ;)

No, the potential slot is in the lockbox (sign your name on a slip, include the combination that you tried and failed at, drop it in, and no C4 is necessary, see how easy that was?). The lockbox contains a watertight (but not locked) cache box. I'm not gonna attempt to waterseal the outer lockbox, particularly if it's being pried apart every 5 minutes by all you selfish, destructive, evil cachers... :rolleyes:

But as for the crowbars and bolt cutters that have been thrown around in this message thread, you guys are pulling my leg. I didn’t just now fall of the Internet truck, ya know. I’m onto you guys. Oh yeah. :laughing:

I know what you’re doing, having me expect the worst, go for the lowest common denominator. Buy that pig don’t fly. You impugn all Geocachers by suggesting that the first person who can’t work the lock will break the whole box. If I can’t open a lock, I’ll mention it online (and the CO fixes it, and the problem vanishes) and I’d bet everyone else will too. Or the bad apples so greatly outweigh the good apples, there’s no need to prepare for continuous utter destruction. I’m not saying it doesn’t ever happen, or that it won’t happen here. I’m saying (as you've mentioned) it’s no bigger than any problems with any other cache. In fact, I’d say it’s infinitesimally less worth worrying about.

Lemme give you an example of why I say that:

Bad apple “Vinny1927” (not his real user name) breaks the box open, and signs the log. Then he goes online and says “Box already broken, contents still there, so I signed that log for my all-important, precious stats”. OR he just doesn’t mention the damage at all -- whichever…

…now follow me on this…

I may be wrong (Grid knows, I’m wrong a lot), but the point of a physical log is for verification that you were there. If you compromise a cache, it’s VERY likely to go missing entirely. And where are your precious stats now, HUH Vinny1927? Gone, that’s where. So if he breaks the box, Game Over, Man.

And here’s the kicker:

This is Fayetteville, Georgia, where any given cache is logged (being very generous) once a day. Less frequently for a simple ADDING PUZZLE which this box most certainly will be.

And I live just down the street.

So I could physically verify the paper cache log every hour on the hour. So on Wednesday, Frank2345 (not his real user name) logs in, and the cache is OK. Thursday, Vinny1927 logs in and the magic Vandalism Fairy has struck, but fortunately left the log there just fine?? I’m not buying it. This kind of cache makes it EASIER to track what happened when, than most any other out there.

Sure there are a lot of other ways this could go down, but come on. I mean really. :D

Edited by kunarion

You'd best get explicit permission from the park for something like this, because it sounds like it could be a guideline violation.

As far as locks freezing, I've had a combination lock chaining my boat to a tree for several years. A shot of WD40 every year or so keeps it working nicely.

Be aware though that locks might encourage people to tamper with a cache and possibly destroy it to get inside. People are naturally curious and when they see something locked it makes them wonder what is so important inside that the box is locked.

At least if it isn't locked they can satisfy their curiosity without damaging the container.

As far as geocachers breaking the lock. I won't say it won't happen, but it's not likely.

Edited by briansnat

what about the old hollow bolt routine?

would never be noticed, ive seen different home made variations, and im sure you could purchase one through one of the ever innovate ebay/geocache container vendors.

Just a thought, and honestly i dont think anyone was pulling your leg about people busting up your container to sign it. In one year i've been amazed at things ive seen on my own 20 hides. Besides the "sprouting legs" syndrome.

I have a cache hidden in plain site that the stats sit almost 1/2/1/2 on. F vs DnF that is.

Its actually just sitting there waiting to be plucked off a stone wall, however i harvested some of the moss from the area and hotglued the entire container with it. bwahahahah

I've gotten to meet more veteran cachers with that cache then any other. They simply cannot believe they didnt see it once they do find it.

Also the best advice i've got so far on hiding a cache "in plain site" is this. "If you want to confuse a cacher, pick something or somewhere, where they will KNOW IT HAS TO BE. Then dont put it there."

goodluck

:rolleyes:

I've found three caches (that I can remember) with locks. Two were multis where you have to figured out the combination along the way. (The third was a BrianSnat cache. So you know that was in a remote rocky area... :rolleyes:) We were third and fourth to find on an eleven stage 5/3 multi that took us five and a half months to complete. (Hey! A great cache!) The container was broken, and I'm asbolutely sure 2nd to Find did not break it. A very obscure hide, but never overestimate muggles. Everything was in place, including the geocoin. Dunno what happened there.

Same container, same hider, again a 5/3 cache, another obscure hide also broken (long after we were there).

Got another locked cache on the horizon. The combination for this one is a mystery on the cache page.

But as for the crowbars and bolt cutters that have been thrown around in this message thread, you guys are pulling my leg. I didn’t just now fall of the Internet truck, ya know. I’m onto you guys. Oh yeah. :D

You think they're kidding? :huh:

You haven't been caching long enough to realize that they aren't kidding! :rolleyes:

But as for the crowbars and bolt cutters that have been thrown around in this message thread, you guys are pulling my leg. I didn’t just now fall of the Internet truck, ya know. I’m onto you guys. Oh yeah. :D

You think they're kidding? :huh:

You haven't been caching long enough to realize that they aren't kidding! :rolleyes:

We tried. Sometimes direct experience is the best teacher. Hopefully the cachers and muggles in Fayetteville, Georgia are less agressive than those in other parts of the country. :D

Also the best advice i've got so far on hiding a cache "in plain site" is this. "If you want to confuse a cacher, pick something or somewhere, where they will KNOW IT HAS TO BE. Then dont put it there."

:unsure:;):D I hit what I thought was going to be a quickie guardrail cache on the way home from work this morning (at 1:30AM). After finding that it wasn't in either end of the guardrail, I ended up going back to get the GPS, checking again, climbing on top of the guardrail to check the top of the fence post (it, too was "well guarded" with razor wire), wandering off, coming back, etc. before I finally noticed the small piece of asphalt at the base that was covering the cache. The fact that it wasn't where I expected made being STF on a rx bottle fun!

Saw something in plain sight on an electrical box recently - flexible, magnetic with random letters on. I thought at first it was belonged there, but my "evil digit" got the better of me, I peeled it off, and on the reverse was a log sheet. So simple, but easy to overlook.

Saw that locally. The neat thing to do is to put the GC number on the sticker. I spent half an hour once looking around a set of six electrical and phone boxes before it hit me that I was looking for GCJZ5Z...

Check out GCV8JF -- this is a Travel Bug Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN that has been around for almost 3 1/2 years -- there is a spoiler picture (from April 2007) so yo ucan see how it is done -- it uses a lock similar to a luggage lock, but just a bit beefier -- the combination is listed on the cache page (luckily I took the cache page with my while my wife circled the block). I think it is labeled "Official US Geocache Monitoring Station" or something similar. Inside the metal box is a Lock-and-Lock with log, swag, TB's, GC's, etc. If you can get permission for it, this would be the way to go, I would think.

I wonder if a lock attracts more attention than it's worth.

Yes, depending on the placement. That was the main issue in this thread. Every hide is different, and many have attracted no unwanted attention in years. I think the bigger problem is maintaining the lock -- around here humidity may kill a combination lock.

After weighing the pros and cons of the pole where I was considering to put a lockbox, I decided to place just a concealed micro nearby, instead. It's gone over rather well.