Frustrated freshers!

Gilbobaggins

Try looking for caches near you that are at least small or regular sized first before attempting the evil micro hides. At the top of the cache listings it will show you what size the cache in question is. Also, take a look at what the terrain & difficulty levels are. Start with larger caches with less difficulty.

The cache also may not be exactly where your GPSr is showing. Sometimes you need to broaden your search and begin looking all around you at different things. Think to yourself... 'where would I hide this'.

I hope you have better luck on your next outing. :)

Here are some things I like to recommend to people just starting out when they are having difficulties.

1. Stick with 1 and 1.5 difficulty rated caches at first.

2. Stick to Regular or larger sized caches and not Micros.

3. Use the the GPS unit to get to the general area of the cache but don't expect it to get you to within 0 feet.

4. Once you get to the general area, start looking around for hiding places, cracks, crevices, holes in trees, etc. Look for things that look out of the ordinary such as piles of sticks, piles of rocks, etc.

5. Don't get discouraged.

6. Read the previous logs for other cachers comments.

7. Keep at it. Once you find a couple, you will get a sense of the hides.

4. Once you get to the general area, start looking around for hiding places, cracks, crevices, holes in trees, etc. Look for things that look out of the ordinary such as piles of sticks, piles of rocks, etc.

In other words.... THINK like a hider. Where would you hide a cache at this location? This one bit of advice has helped me find several caches.

One thing that many cache hider try to do is to hide the container such that a non-geocacher (muggle) won't notice it but a geocacher will. As you gain more experience as a geocacher you'll begin to develop "geosense". Geosense is essentially the ability to recognize possible hiding locations (which a non-geocacher might not see) once you've arrived in the general area where your GPS is telling you to search.

Remember, this is a game with a goal of finding containers hidden by other geocachers, not about trying to navigate to the coordinates published for the cache. Once you get to the general area where your GPS is telling you to go, stop trying to follow your GPS until it puts you at the published coordinates. The accuracy of your (and the person that hid the cache) may be off as much as 20-30 feet. You could be wandering around in circles trying to get to the exact coordinates, only to find that there is a tree about 30 feet away with a hole it that might contain the cache. When I am approaching a cache location I will often started looking for potential hiding spots when I'm still 100' away or more. If something looks like a potential hiding spot I'll head straight for it and search that area first. Quite often I'll find the cache at that spot.

It helps when you have more than one person searching for the cache. I hate going caching by myself because it takes longer to find this cache. Another suggestion is look in the most obvious places too. Alot of people look in the hard locations and they overlook the obvious. Check the logs on the cache page and note when the last find was. If the cache has three or four Did not find responses on the nearest date, then the cache is probably not there. Don't worry you will get the hang of this sport.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? How would you disguide it? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic and on metal or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is (your error plus hiders error). Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!