Would you wait?

If you were to ask a geocacher friend to wait on a cache that you wouldn't to go after, would you respect the other person wishes or ignore it and just go after that specific cache?

Its like asking a friend to wait on something and wouldn't a friend wait, or would a friend not ask someone to wait.

If your friend felt very strongly about going after certain caches together wouldn't you repsect their wishes and wait until they could go? or not?

Is it wrong to ask them to wait?

We've had this happen to us a couple of times, we told them about certain caches and was hoping to go together for them, but they had free time and went for them without telling us they were going. Then after that we told them about this area and it would be cool to go after them together and guess what they did it again with out us.

If you were to ask a geocacher friend to wait on a cache that you wouldn't to go after, would you respect the other person wishes or ignore it and just go after that specific cache?

Its like asking a friend to wait on something and wouldn't a friend wait, or would a friend not ask someone to wait.

If your friend felt very strongly about going after certain caches together wouldn't you repsect their wishes and wait until they could go? or not?

We've had this happen to us a couple of times, we told them about certain caches and was hoping to go together for them, but they had free time and went for them without telling us they were going. Then after that we told them about this area and it would be cool to go after them together and guess what they did it again with out us.

It depends on whether or not this could be an FTF.

Just kidding -

I am a person of my word. If I said that I'd wait to do a cache with you, I probably would. But, I probably wouldn't say this - probably more along the lines of "sure, I'll do the hike with you," and if I found the cache, would go again.

I've only asked one person to do one cache with me, and it was a 4.5 terrain, so both of us were kind enough to "hold off" and await a hiking partner. If he had decided to go it alone, then I could care a less, and in retrospect, probably would have shaved at least 2 hours off the expedition if I'd gone alone.

In a very round about way, I suppose I'd answer your questions with "yes, I would respect your wish if you asked to do a cache together and wait," and "I personally would not ask anyone to wait, so 'right' or 'wrong' of asking is not relevant to me."

It depends on whether or not this could be an FTF.

Just kidding -

I am a person of my word. If I said that I'd wait to do a cache with you, I probably would. But, I probably wouldn't say this - probably more along the lines of "sure, I'll do the hike with you," and if I found the cache, would go again.

I've only asked one person to do one cache with me, and it was a 4.5 terrain, so both of us were kind enough to "hold off" and await a hiking partner. If he had decided to go it alone, then I could care a less, and in retrospect, probably would have shaved at least 2 hours off the expedition if I'd gone alone.

In a very round about way, I suppose I'd answer your questions with "yes, I would respect your wish if you asked to do a cache together and wait," and "I personally would not ask anyone to wait, so 'right' or 'wrong' of asking is not relevant to me."

Nope not for FTF's! Mostly harder terrian caches go with at least 1 or more cachers. Not solo on some of the harder ones. Even some longer hikes. We would respect people the cachers wishes if they asked. We did ask for them to wait on a few things, but they never did. So we don't bother ask them again.

It depends on how easily one is offended.

If one is a whiney person, they will whine about it. If one is easy going, they will let it go.

One of my girlfriends said I was supposed to wait to see a movie so we could go together. I found out 3 weeks later that she went to see it with a friend. No big deal. I saw the movie with someone else.

Pesonally, I say the person should get over it!!

At least now you know what the friend is about.

I think you should take the hint and quit asking them to wait for you. Go caching with them without these 'conditions'.

I know cachers like that, there's not much you can do... That's just how they are.......

Personally if they didnt know about the cache untill and you told them and then they went to get the cache after your initial request to wait on you, why would you tell them again? In that instance it seems better to wait untill you are ready to go caching to clue them in on the details. If you didnt dangle the candy infornt of the kids they wouldnt be a reason for them to slip into the pantry when you arent looking. Granted I would have waited but geocaching is addictive, maybe even a compulsion, like a lays potato chip.... I want some potato chips.. wait.. where was this going again? Oh yeah I'm done.

Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany

I agree wholeheartedly with whatever Dofbesetzer was saying... :anibad:B):blink:

For those that are wondering, "Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany", when translated with Google's Language Tools, from German to English, translates as, "Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany".

thought you'd like to know.

For those that are wondering, "Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany", when translated with Google's Language Tools, from German to English, translates as, "Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany".

You keep setting lower standards of posting and yet, somehow, continually fail to meet them.

:anibad:

Darn, almost forgot to put in the smiley. That would have been tragic.

Edited by bittsen

I got a good belly laugh on this, until I too used iGoogle and got this instead:

We will muggle your caches you unless leave stash note in Deutsch."

I'm just sayin'....

No, I wouldn't wait and I wouldn't ask anyone to wait for me. There will soon be 1,000,000 active caches listed on this site. Plenty of great, fun, creative caches that I can search for alone or with a freind as the opportunity arises.

For me, it boils down to that I really don't care what caches I go after when I'm with freinds/family. It's all about being out and having a good time and the surest way to ruin that is to introduce some petty, self-made drama into the mix.

Bruce

You keep setting lower standards of posting and yet, somehow, continually fail to meet them.

I appreciate your sense of humor, as well, Bittesn. Thanks for the ROFL. Glad to see that you appreciated my humor, as usual. I really appreciate how you never fail to point out my jokes. You make a great straight man!

To the original poster and anyone posting relevant responses:

I have been in the same (reverse) situation where I have promised to go after a previous DNF with a friend. Months later, I had an opportunity to try the cache again with a group of friends that did not include the first one (she would have fit in well... but it didn't occur to me to call her and ask at the time). She was hurt by it enough to post a similar thread here. Sometimes we just get caught up in the moment, even though we may regret it later. Forgive, and forget.

Also, if they, or the folks that they are caching with, are with cachers that want to "clear out an area" (a euphamism for, "I love this area, but never want to come back again unless there are new caches here"), they frankly are not going to wait for you. They're going to log that find and go on to the next cache. You shoulda been there.

Edited by knowschad

I know. I am sorry. Truely. How should I have responded to that post? Please guide me to a higher plane.

Yes it is a true learning moment. What will he/she/it come up with next? :)

Back OT-I think you have found out just what kind of friends these are. Time to find some new friends for the special caches.

Halp i net thes Geocaching in Germany

It will never reach the stature of "why does my post say ringbone" but it might have some staying power.

Edited by wimseyguy

Being a courteous person who values my friends, I'd wait.

There are tons of caches out there I could go find while waiting to go with friends.

I wouldn't go with those folks again since they have indicated that their smiley on the cache is worth more to them than the smiles you get together while having fun caching. Those real smiles are worth much more to me than the little smiley icon and another notch in my geobelt.

On the other hand, I would usually not ask someone to wait for me to visit a cache together. I would either make a specific plan to go on a certain day or not. Maybe you did this.

If you asked in a generic, can-you-wait-until-someday kind of a way, then you might expect them to go without you if you snooze too long on setting a specific date to go.

Some of us are "self-starters". We simply don't feel the need for company every time we go to a movie, for a ride, for a drive, or even to geocache.

I don't ask anyone to accompany me caching unless it's to an isolated area, or where there is a four or five star terrain rating and chance for accident or injury is elevated (best to have a buddy-system in place, right?).

If someone asked me to accompany them to a particular cache that was high on my to-do list, and asked me to wait until they were free to go, I would need a definite time frame for that wait. If the days dragged out I would at least have the courtesy to phone the friend to let them know I wasn't going to wait any longer, then give them the opportunity to join me on the hunt when I'm ready to go. I have always been (and still am) a very patient and considerate person - but I've learned from experience that life will pass me by while I wait for others to get their act together.

My advice? Don't ask people to wait for you - just get out and do it. If you can't make your own fun then call your friends the night prior to your caching run. If they're available the next day, great. If not, will your fun really be that diminished without them?

I'd wait. if nothing more than they asked.

I had a cache I wanted to go after and talked to a few people. Then they left and went after it without asking if I wanted to go, only found out after they got back and were telling me about it.

I could let it tick me off but what purpose would that serve? I'll still cache with them... (come to think of it, I've never cached with someone outside of an event)

Bummed me out too.